I think I figured out a way to store apps on your external MicroSD card! (On any version of Android)

outlooker

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
With many Android games reaching 2GB in file size, its impossible to store more than just a few for most Android users (unless if you have a 64GB device, which is less common).
But I think I found a way to store (not install, only "store") your apps on your memory card. Most high end games have most of their data stored as SD data in .obb format. This .obb file is usually stored in some pre-defined Android folder such as Android>data> etc. (varies with device) And the final .obb file (your game's SD data) is stored in some folder named "com.<app name or publisher>"
If you look around a bit you'll find where your game's SD data is stored without much trouble. Anyway, once you find where your game's SD data is (the .obb files in the com. <name/publisher> folder)
You're all set to perform this trick.
1) Install your game the usual way on your device (through apk, Play Store, anyway you want)
2) When you completed the installation and its icon appears, find the SD data for that game and move the .obb somewhere on your external MicroSD card.
3) Now, more than 90% of the game's data is on your MicroSD and not your phone's internal memory.
4) When you want to play the game, move/copy the .obb file (SD data) back to its original location in your device's internal memory. This should be a folder whose name starts with com. and then has the app's name or publisher.
5) Now you should be able to play the game! When you're done move the .obb file (SD data) back to your MicroSD card.
So that's pretty much it. You basically keep the SD data on your phone's internal memory (where it's supposed to be) only while playing the game and other wise just store it in your Micro-SD card.
I know all that moving and copying could take a minute but I think that's the only way to store more games once your phone's internal memory is full.
NOTE: This idea is completely theoretical at this time and I have not tried it. I'm new to Android myself and I'm going to see how it works out on my LG Optimus G later when I get time.
Why don't you share your opinions/ideas on this? Or even better try it yourself and and tell us about your experience?
Good Luck!

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Nice! I can't try it out for myself as I have an N4 and N7 (no SD card slot but no regrets :D) but I don't see how it wouldn't work.

outlooker

Sep 22, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I know its awesome but somewhat tedious if you have to do this a lot. I can't wait to try it myself, the lack of an SD slot is the only reason I don't have a Nexus in front of me right now.

Raymond Tan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Your idea will not work. You can not move or place files located on the phones internal memory unless you have rooted your phone and have superuser access. If you do root and have superuser access you can just use Super Apps2sd to install apps to an external card.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Your idea will not work. You can not move or place files located on the phones internal memory unless you have rooted your phone and have superuser access. If you do root and have superuser access you can just use Super Apps2sd to install apps to an external card.

Ah, I see. I thought these were stored in /sdcard0 and not the system (/).

Mynter

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site

this is for tablets mate...not phones...do try to read next time...

Geodude074

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
You can try doing what I did with my Motorola Photon Q, although I can't guarantee it will work with your device.

Basically you take the file that has the code which tells where the internal storage is located and where memory card is located, and edit it so the values are switched around, so now your internal storage acts as the external storage and vice versa.

Here's a screenshot of my phone after I edited the code:

View attachment 79065

You'll notice that Android sees that I have an 8GB internal card, but it also sees that I have 59GB remaining.

freonzki

Sep 2, 2013
Visit site
It will work I assure you been doing that trick for a few months alread., my phone and tablet is not rooted and I can do that thing, surprised why would someone think that it can only work for rooted device.

thecactusman

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi, if you're rooted, you can use the Foldermount app to move those big files (but not the apps) to your external sd card, One-time operation. Invaluable app.