My impressions - HTC One, Samsung Galaxy S4, and HTC First

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Today I went to my local AT&T store and briefly checked out the HTC One. I was in somewhat of a hurry so didn't get to use it much, but I'll post my initial impressions here.

So far, I've gotten a chance to try out the One and the First. When the S4 comes out, I'll take a look at that, too, so look for another update in a few weeks.

HTC One impressions - First written 4/15/2013, last updated 4/18/2013

At first glance, the One is a really good looking phone. Holding it, the aluminum gives it a nice and premium feel. The phone performs well and is slightly snappier than my Nexus 4, though there's no major difference. The screen is also slightly sharper (yes, 1080p does make a difference) and slightly brighter. Again, a noticeable difference but nothing you'll miss with a 720p phone and really not that substantial. The camera, though, is substantially better than the N4's, being much sharper and brighter (like the screen). In the few shots I took, it looks like point-and-shoot material (nothing like a DSLR, though that isn't expected). Finally, the standard launcher is nice and has more visible features than the stock Android launcher, though the latter certainly looks nicer. Blinkfeed is nice and useful but is a pain when it gets in the way. Going back to 4.1 leaves something to be desired, though, and I seriously miss the multitasking button when using the phone.

I was able to make a video comparison between the One and my N4. Once I edit the video, I may or may not put it up here, depending on the video quality.

In conclusion, the One is a great phone with a great design and feel. This will step up HTC's game and they will hopefully sell tons of this phone. If not, I fear the HTC First will become the HTC Last.

HTC First impressions - First written 4/18/2013, last updated 4/18/2013

At first glance, you can tell that the First is designed for a completely different consumer base than the One. It looks kind of toyish, and the color scheme reminds me of the different colors of the newest iPod Touch. I wasn't able to try out Facebook Home since I don't have an FB account, but I was able to see the app drawer, and that looks completely stock (save for the search bar found at the top, which is there instead of at the home screen because? you know, Home.), which is a good thing. I could detect some minor lag, owing to the inferior processor and reduced RAM, but it was a generally smooth experience.

Pantech Element impressions - because I can

I know this isn't part of the thread topic, but the store had a Pantech Element (7" tablet) on display, so I randomly decided to take a look at that. That thing is the laggiest piece of c**p I've ever seen. And it's still running Honeycomb! What the heck, AT&T! /rant

Okay, any thoughts?

Last edited:

Downtown Taco

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I'll be interested to see how you compare this to the S4.

Interesting review return_0 , I'm eagerly awaiting the rest.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeneral2