Best used verizon 4g phone?

focusbob

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm looking to get a new phone (currently have a droid 2). I am grandfathered into unlimited data, and therefore don't want to officially upgrade/sign a new contract as I will lose it.

What is the best price/performance used 4g android device for verizon currently available on ebay or similar places? Removable battery a plus, since battery is consumable and I'm looking at devices with some years on them.

I like the idea of the razr maxxx (HD is way too pricey) or the razr and the aftermarket maxxx battery upgrade (price isn't much better and assembling may be a hassle, but it's a new battery which I think is a good thing). I also saw the rezound has a removable battery. I like the droid 4 (bc I'm a keyboard guy), but no removable battery... Bionic seems widely available for pretty cheap (100-150 range).

Thanks,
Jim

p.s., if this is better placed somewhere else in the forum structure please move, mods.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If you have two or more lines with at least one non unlimited line , you can transfer the upgrade to the non unlimited line and activate the phone on that non unlimited line.

With that said , if you must buy used, I would strongly recommend getting an s3 over the rezound or razr, since the s3 runs way cooler and gets way better battery life. If battery life is not a concern, the rezound would be fine. The razr maxx display is pretty lackluster imo. Battery life is good, but only because it has a huge battery.

What exactly are you looking for?

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm looking to get a new phone (currently have a droid 2). I am grandfathered into unlimited data, and therefore don't want to officially upgrade/sign a new contract as I will lose it.

What is the best price/performance used 4g android device for verizon currently available on ebay or similar places? Removable battery a plus, since battery is consumable and I'm looking at devices with some years on them.

I like the idea of the razr maxxx (HD is way too pricey) or the razr and the aftermarket maxxx battery upgrade (price isn't much better and assembling may be a hassle, but it's a new battery which I think is a good thing). I also saw the rezound has a removable battery. I like the droid 4 (bc I'm a keyboard guy), but no removable battery... Bionic seems widely available for pretty cheap (100-150 range).

Thanks,
Jim

p.s., if this is better placed somewhere else in the forum structure please move, mods.

I was also going to suggest a Galaxy S3. Do you know anyone who has one but wants a newer phone? Offer them like $100 for theirs, then that's $100 they can put toward a new phone. Since you know the person, you likely know how they treat their device. Better than getting one off Amazon or Craig's List, where you have no idea what the phone has been through. It's a win for both of you. I did the same thing with a friend involving a PS3. He wanted a new on, I offered him $200 for his, and that helped him buy a new one.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If you get the s3, wait until the s4 comes out, the s3 should drop a bit

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Galaxy S3 would probably fit the bill. It may see a price drop soon too or maybe you can see if a sales person will give you a deal. Don't be afraid to ask!

focusbob

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions, and I'm glad to see a consensus! I think it may be out of my price range though...they seem to be going for 300+ used. Maybe when the s4 comes out it will be cheaper. I'm looking to spend around 200, but if a really nice s3 were available for 300, that would be ok i guess.

As for the earlier question of what I'm looking for: I'm looking for the phone to be 4g and have good battery life primarily. Also want a removable battery, ideally. And I'm looking to spend about 150-250$ I guess. Unfortunately, the other line on my account was just upgraded and I don't know anyone looking to get a new phone...

Umass021

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
The rezound and galaxy nexus can be bought for around $160 or less. The razr is also a good choice. I see people suggesting the s3 but feel one in good condition will still cost you almost $300. If you could find one cheaper than go with it. I bought a refurbished galaxy nexus off eBay 5 months ago for $180 and have been very happy with it. It came in brand new condition and works great. It also has the latest android is 4.2.2.

Sent from my A500 using Android Central Forums

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Now that Jelly Bean 4.1.2 is available, I'd go with the DROID RAZR MAXX.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

focusbob

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Umass: when you got your refurbished phone, was it "seller refurbished". Do you remember who you got it from and whether they were selling others?

Tower72

Gigantic Member
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Check out Swappa for used phones..Prices are more reasonable then Ebay imo. I just sold my Verizon GNex on there for 185 :p

focusbob

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
Thank you everyone! I'm new to this forum, and I've been really impressed by all the replies, so good on you!

After much deliberation, my current thinking is to buy a manufacturer refurbished samsung galaxy nexus (available for 180-200) and buy an extended battery. I was going between the galaxy nexus and the razr maxx (not HD), and the only thing I really liked about the latter was the battery. I've found large extended batteries with replacement covers for galaxy nexus that are well reviewed and very inexpensive, so I think that takes care of that. But any final suggestions are welcome! I agree with everyone on the s3, it's just too pricey at the moment for me.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Check out Swappa for used phones..Prices are more reasonable then Ebay imo. I just sold my Verizon GNex on there for 185 :p

I would advise against the gnex. The radio is sub par, imo

Tower72

Gigantic Member
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
While the GNex was a good phone from a flashing point of view...the radios were not the best as mentioned above..AND that thing got so damn hot so fast..I felt like I was cooking my ear after a 5 min phone call!

kawasaki9r

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

Thanks,
Jim

I have the Galaxy Nexus, I like it and its pure Google. Clearly older than the S3, but based on what you are saying, if price is a question, go for it.

kawasaki9r

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I would advise against the gnex. The radio is sub par, imo

I have the GNexus. What does that mean by poor radio? You may be right, but I just don't know what you mean. Mine works pretty well for 1.5 years, but I am in the DC market, so maybe because I am in a big market?

awiz

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Hello,

It's 4 years later and I have the exact same question. I'm in the same position as OP, unlimited data and such. I need a backup phone just in case. Bricked the Note 2. S3 is doing fine. I have noticed calls dropping on highway traveling, despite it being Verizon, and I heard that Moto Droid has best radio. Any opinion on what would be the best all-around refurbished phone, let's say for under $200 or so? I think it's between Motorola and Samsung. Any particular models that I should stay away from, aside from the Note 7? Tethering/hotspot/reception is most important. (I'm not going to buy a separate hotspot. I hear they don't even work that well.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan