FroYo or Sense causing all Evo upgrade bugs

mikejs78

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
As a Droid X owner, I've been reading with interest about the issues Evo owners have been having with 2.2. I am curious as to whether or not the issues are a result of bugs in FroYo or in HTC's Sense integration win FroYo? I don't recall hearing about this many issues from Nexus One owners when they upgraded. I hate to see everyone blame FroYo when it could very well be Sense that is the problem. It will be interesting to see if Droid owners experience the same quantity of issues with their stock upgrade, or if Droid X owners see similar issues with 2.2 and PhilBlur. What do you all think?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
In tracking all the issues being reported, I'd say 75% of the problems that people are reporting are the result of using task killers, which are no longer supported by Froyo, since Froyo eliminated the ability of these apps to kill processes. It's a shame there isn't a way for Froyo to block these incompatible apps from being installed in the first place.

The second thing that resolves most issues, is a hard reset. It sounds like - for whatever reason - a simple upgrade to Froyo isn't enough for many upgraders.

Once you remove those 2 things from the picture, you have about 6 issues that are HTC related, 6 that are caused by 3rd party not working properly with Froyo, 4 that appear to be Froyo related, and the other 2 being a result of people who used some type of ROM other than the OTA.

So, I think the path to success for those of using a Droid X, is to do a hard reset before we install Froyo, do another one after we install Froyo, and to not use any 3rd party task killers. When we go to install our 3rd party apps, we should probably check recent reviews/comments for each app and make sure there isn't a laundry list of people claiming it doesn't work or is causing problems with Froyo.

It also appears HTC's Sense overlay is a lot more complex than the widgets/blur stuff that Moto provides, so I'm thinking the impact for us will also be a lot lower.

Dirrk

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
I would assume it is a combination, keep in mind nexus was googles baby. I have a droid with froyo, and have an uptime in the 200 hour range. My girl has an eris with a froyo rom on it and no htc sence and hers runs incredibly smooth. She has a few hiccups but overall a good experience. One issue little bug in how froyo is working with sense could be the cause to all of those problems or it could be many. I think what is clear is that it takes more work for sense or any other custom ui to work than plain android.

Dirrk

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
In tracking all the issues being reported, I'd say 75% of the problems that people are reporting are the result of using task killers, which are no longer supported by Froyo, since Froyo eliminated the ability of these apps to kill processes. It's a shame there isn't a way for Froyo to block these incompatible apps from being installed in the first place.

The second thing that resolves most issues, is a hard reset. It sounds like - for whatever reason - a simple upgrade to Froyo isn't enough for many upgraders.

Once you remove those 2 things from the picture, you have about 6 issues that are HTC related, 6 that are caused by 3rd party not working properly with Froyo, 4 that appear to be Froyo related, and the other 2 being a result of people who used some type of ROM other than the OTA.

So, I think the path to success for those of using a Droid X, is to do a hard reset before we install Froyo, do another one after we install Froyo, and to not use any 3rd party task killers. When we go to install our 3rd party apps, we should probably check recent reviews/comments for each app and make sure there isn't a laundry list of people claiming it doesn't work or is causing problems with Froyo.

It also appears HTC's Sense overlay is a lot more complex than the widgets/blur stuff that Moto provides, so I'm thinking the impact for us will also be a lot lower.

Well put, I agree about the task killers, they have been almost useless from the get go. I see customers coming in here all the time with antiviri and other system stuff that, some of them even paid money for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos