New Google Music app.. thoughts?

nyry

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering what everyone else though of the new music app update and the ui overhaul. Personally its gonna take some getting used to, but what do you guys think about it?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I'm excited for the new service as well as the app. The app fits Google's new UI and UX strategy very well, and the integration of my library with the "radio without rules" will be great.

robertopod1968

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
Excellent! Stupendous! Just what I always wanted. Been playing with it for a bit and signed up. Was using slacker, because it could bill to account (and Google music). Now, I do it all on one app, on all my devices.Love it

Posted via Android Central App

whydidnt

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Crashes regularly on my HTC One as well. I tried clearing all data...tried removing and reinstalling the update, but still crashes. Heck it even crashes when I'm not using it. How could Google have released an upgrade that is this unstable? It's their dang OS, they should now how to write software that doesn't crash when running on it.

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Does the album art work jump around for anyone else? I noticed this while listening to a created station. Other than that I'll give it a try but I'm not so thrilled about another streaming service.

OhioG

Jun 25, 2011
Visit site
The app is great, the desktop is awful, their grey letters on white background is beyond stupid. So hard to see

geekymcfly

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I just jumped in the shower and google music asked me if I wanted tp pause it.
Edit:
Does anyone know how to recreate this

Last edited:

fierro951

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
It keeps crashing on my note 2

Posted via Android Central App

Same here. I had to revert to the old version using Helium.

I'm not too happy because I use the music app to play music through my Bluetooth speaker at home and in the car. The Note 2 with a 64gb micro SD card has replaced my iPod and I rely on it everyday. Its just unfortunate that Google released an update like this that seems to be crashing on newer phones.

Take a look at the comments in the Play Store.

Ugg :/ Please fix this Google.

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I signed up and have used it for acouple hours. It works really well and is a lot better then what I was using so I might keep paying for it. Like the albums on demand and controlled radio style.

Blaize19

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm loving it so far. Found a bunch of obscure albums that I lost in a move! For less than the cost of one cd per month.

Sent from my HTC One S using Android Central Forums

KaterinaM

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm a bit confused by this app... On the one hand, the service is great, but I don't like the way it is done (I mean the design)

nyry

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm a bit confused by this app... On the one hand, the service is great, but I don't like the way it is done (I mean the design)

Im kinda in the same place.. Idk how I feel about the whole swipe to the left to get the menu thing :confused: It was easier to use the menu button honestly or to be able to swipe to playlists instead if having to swipe to the menu to acess playlists separately

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
App worked fine, until the update yesterday. Keeps crashing. It even crashes when the app is not running (if that even makes sense) Makes the phone sluggish.

I'm on the Samsung Galaxy S4 (AT&T)

Dear Google - Please fix or I'll continue with Spotify Premium. Thanks! >=/

Dru419

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Which service provider are you with? The reason I ask is because I'm having the same issue (so frustrating). I'm on the S4 with AT&T and one of my colleagues is on the S4 as well with Sprint and his seems to work just fine.

I did sign up for All Access and it works perfectly fine via my laptop's browser.

- - - Updated - - -

Crashes regularly on my HTC One as well. I tried clearing all data...tried removing and reinstalling the update, but still crashes. Heck it even crashes when I'm not using it. How could Google have released an upgrade that is this unstable? It's their dang OS, they should now how to write software that doesn't crash when running on it.

Which service provider are you with? The reason I ask is because I'm having the same issue (so frustrating). I'm on the S4 with AT&T and one of my colleagues is on the S4 as well with Sprint and his seems to work just fine.

I did sign up for All Access and it works perfectly fine via my laptop's browser.

whydidnt

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I'm on AT&T, but use the Developer edition of the One so there isn't any AT&T Bloatware. It seems to crash regularly, even when its not being used. I think there is an issue with how it reads the local media stored on the device, why else would it crash when not in use. I tried uninstalling and re-installing the update, deleting data in the Play Music App, and deleting all the data in Media Manager, all with the same results, a constantly crashing Google Play Music application. Typically within a few minutes of a reboot. If I launch the app, but don't play music or anything it still crashes. It also crashes when playing music stored locally so I'm not sure how the service provider would affect that. I'm not getting much use of the 30 day trial....

cckgz4

Oct 30, 2010
Visit site
LOVE it. And I'm really liking the whole streaming idea, and will try it once they have "downloading" options like Spotify

thatguitarguy

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm trying to like it a lot, especially because of the promotional price and the integration, but so far it hasn't been as great of an experience as spotify.

Ultimately it comes down to locally stored music. I'll select certain albums to be "downloaded to device" or click on the pin button and the songs will download. Even though the songs have finished downloading and are on my device, they will still skip or take a very long time to start, or even just stop playing multiple times throughout the song. I'll have to hit play to resume. It's almost like it's streaming or something, but it should be locally stored on my device.

I've never had that kind of problem with Spotify and if that kind of unreliability is consistent, I can't continue to use it as I use things like Spotify for live sound gigs and events and cannot have random stopping going on during those times.

Plus, it just sucks when you're using it personally.