Still don't understand Hangouts

carraser891

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Is Hangouts supposed to be an answer to iOSs' iMessage? Will it eventually be the main app for text messaging on Android? Im just confused as to the point of it especially since they ask for your phone number.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Is Hangouts supposed to be an answer to iOSs' iMessage? Will it eventually be the main app for text messaging on Android? Im just confused as to the point of it especially since they ask for your phone number.

Not yet.

In terms of end goals, Google+ Hangouts feels very "alpha".

psufan32

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Not yet.

In terms of end goals, Google+ Hangouts feels very "alpha".

Yes, it does. And, I'm surprised, being Google, that it just is not very intuitive. They had an opportunity to really take the widely known Talk brand and make it something that would immediately get a ton of usership. However, it lacks features, doesn't unify anything on Google right now, is unintuitive out of the box, has had a botched rollout (in my apps list in Play, it is Hangouts w/ the Hangouts logo, in my app drawer, it is Hangouts w/ the Talk logo, and on my home screen, it is Talk w/ the Talk logo) and requires that Google try to build a completely new brand (instead of keeping Talk).

Imo, they rushed this thing out when it probably needed another 6 months of internal work.

Btw, anyone know how to reconcile contacts which show up twice?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes, it does. And, I'm surprised, being Google, that it just is not very intuitive. They had an opportunity to really take the widely known Talk brand and make it something that would immediately get a ton of usership. However, it lacks features, doesn't unify anything on Google right now, is unintuitive out of the box, has had a botched rollout (in my apps list in Play, it is Hangouts w/ the Hangouts logo, in my app drawer, it is Hangouts w/ the Talk logo, and on my home screen, it is Talk w/ the Talk logo) and requires that Google try to build a completely new brand (instead of keeping Talk).

Imo, they rushed this thing out when it probably needed another 6 months of internal work.

The fact that they released it when it doesn't really unify any of their messaging offerings is troubling.

Merging contacts in Gmail should fix it.

ttwiitch

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site

If your talk all still says Talk on it, then YOU HAVE NOT RECEIVED THE UPDATE yet....

SMS will be integrated shortly after mostly everyone gets the update, but I do agree why release an incomplete app!!

Sent from my Galaxy S3?

psufan32

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
If your talk all still says Talk on it, then YOU HAVE NOT RECEIVED THE UPDATE yet....

SMS will be integrated shortly after mostly everyone gets the update, but I do agree why release an incomplete app!!

Sent from my Galaxy S3?

I have. When I click on the Talk logo w/ talk underneath it on my homescreen, it takes me to Hangouts. I was able to update through the Play store last night.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I have. When I click on the Talk logo w/ talk underneath it on my homescreen, it takes me to Hangouts. I was able to update through the Play store last night.

Delete your homescreen shortcut, then drag the new Hangouts icon from the app drawer to the homescreen.

psufan32

Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
Delete your homescreen shortcut, then drag the new Hangouts icon from the app drawer to the homescreen.

Lol. The problem with that is the Icon in the app drawer is Talk, with Hangouts written underneath it. The only place where the icon itself is actually correct is in the Play store list of my apps.

Btw, when you mentioned merging contacts... I went into contacts in Gmail and clicked "Find and merge duplicates" and it found none.

calbrs04

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure how this unifies everything and makes gtalk better. If that's the case then I should have full functionality of hangouts when I'm chatting with someone that doesn't have google+. Or am I missing something here?

Max792

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem where it still has the talk logo...

I tried uninstalling it then reinstalling from the play store but its still the same

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae