When will the next gen smartphone CPUs arrive

Targos

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering when people think that we will start seeing phones with the upcoming CPUs such as the TI OMAP 4, Qualcomm Scorpion, nvidia Tegra 2?

I am thinking it might not be too long with the recent posting of a benchmark score on a device called the HTC Glacier.

If they are coming in the Christmas time frame I am very hesitant to jump on board the Galaxy S with a insane 3 year contract especially with the reported problems with the Galaxy S.

What do you all think?

dtboos

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Late Q3, early Q4. My guess is October for the first ones, but of coarse there will be a few for holiday as well as early 2011 releases.

mikestorm

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Anyone besides me think we'll hit a hard stop on the (mass produced) CPU enhancements.

Between OS efficiencies like 2.2 (JIT) making legacy processors seem much faster now than on previous OSs, and battery deficiencies that consume more power as the CPU gets faster, I think we'll get to a point where we'll continue to develop faster CPUs, but no phone manufacturers will actually buy them.

I think the Snapdragon (and it's TI equivalent) will be the standard for quite some time. That's not to say faster processors are being mass produced right now (they are). I think that they'll be the exception and not the norm for at least the next few years until battery tech gets a bit better.

SeeK

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I think the main issue at hand is indeed the craptacular battery technology we're stuck with at the moment. A huge overhaul is needed in that department before smartphones will be able to evolve to any greater degree, functionality and performance-wise.

DolfanCole

Jul 27, 2010
Visit site
Anyone besides me think we'll hit a hard stop on the (mass produced) CPU enhancements.

Between OS efficiencies like 2.2 (JIT) making legacy processors seem much faster now than on previous OSs, and battery deficiencies that consume more power as the CPU gets faster, I think we'll get to a point where we'll continue to develop faster CPUs, but no phone manufacturers will actually buy them.

I think the Snapdragon (and it's TI equivalent) will be the standard for quite some time. That's not to say faster processors are being mass produced right now (they are). I think that they'll be the exception and not the norm for at least the next few years until battery tech gets a bit better.

Interesting take. I could see this, unless manufacturers are able to make faster processors that use the same or less power than it's predecessor (or maybe just only slightly more power). This has to be a goal.

Of course, what you've pointed out may be the reason why the latest rumor has the Droid Pro with a 1.2GHz CPU versus the earlier rumor of 2.0GHz.

KB3MMX

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I think the main issue at hand is indeed the craptacular battery technology we're stuck with at the moment. A huge overhaul is needed in that department before smartphones will be able to evolve to any greater degree, functionality and performance-wise.

Actually we have great technology currently.
the real problem is the MFG's purposely put undersized batteries in so that they can market a factory extended life battery and sell accessories.
All these modern phones shoul be equipped with a 2000Mah battery minimum, they have the technology to do so but don't want to.

I'm anxious to see the Next Gen 2011 Samsung Galaxy phone rumored to have a 2Ghz Dual core processor with some other very impressive specs, I really don't care for Motorolla products very much.

SeeK

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Actually we have great technology currently.
the real problem is the MFG's purposely put undersized batteries in so that they can market a factory extended life battery and sell accessories.
All these modern phones shoul be equipped with a 2000Mah battery minimum, they have the technology to do so but don't want to.

I'm anxious to see the Next Gen 2011 Samsung Galaxy phone rumored to have a 2Ghz Dual core processor with some other very impressive specs, I really don't care for Motorolla products very much.
I must say, even 2000 Mah isn't really anywhere near what I believe we should be capable of in this day and age. I'm not just talking about smartphones, I mean in general. We're lucky if we can run a standard-performance laptop for more than a few hours, which I think is quite disappointing, considering the time it takes to charge a battery of that capacity.

frylock

May 19, 2010
Visit site
They can't start putting those massive batteries in these phones, along with the latest and greatest chipset at the price most people would pay. They're better off breaking it up into 2 purchases, and so it feels like the battery didn't drive the phone up so much. Look how much of a storm there is over $249 for the epic.

mikestorm

Nov 5, 2009
Visit site
Something else to consider: as these chips get bigger, cooling is going to become a real issue. Logisticly other tech (along with temp concerns) is eventually going to slow processor speed increases. It's a hard choice between being a responsible manufacturer and being the one with the fastest chip. My bet is within twelve months we'll see a phone launch go horribly wrong as the early adopters start in with torches and pitchforks over the terrible battery life of their new phone.

sgtmack

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
Qualcomm?s 1.5GHz Dual-Core ARM-Based Chip Due This Christmas for Smartphones - SlashGear

Quote:
Both the greatest, and most troublesome part of the technology world, is the fact that it never slows down. Never stops. So, just because you bought the high-end device yesterday, doesn?t mean it?s going to be the king of the hill for long. We knew that faster processors than the 1GHz variants we have running around right now were on the way, but hearing news that Qualcomm intends to launch their 1.5GHz dual-core ARM-based chips by this Christmas, makes us look at all our shiny toys now, and just shed a tear.

As we?ve seen in devices like the HTC EVO 4G, Motorola Droid X, and Samsung Galaxy S (models), 1GHz can be surprisingly fast. That doesn?t mean we don?t want faster chips, because we do. We?re like that. But, what we also want, are chips that don?t consume battery life just because they are more powerful. Thankfully, Qualcomm?s heard ours (and everyone else?s) prayers, because that?s exactly what one chip, the QSD8672, does. It?s specifically designed for smartphones and tablets, and it?s meant to offer up better power management. It will also allow for one CPU core to go idle when it?s not needed, even as the other continues to work.

That means that the dual-core engine will only bust out the speed when you need it, and not just waste the energy all day long. As the title suggests, Qualcomm wants this chip in smartphones by Christmas, so that?s what they?re aiming for. No word on which device gets the honors, though. And while all of that sounds great, it actually gets better: Qualcomm is also building support for HDMI output and support for 1080p HD video playback onto the chip as well.

I shamelessly stole this from here;
http://forum.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=289298#post289298

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay