Hey everyone,

I have been using an iPhone since the day the original one was released and am beginning to yearn for a change. And, the recent Android devices have started tempting me. So, here's my question — which one should I get? I'm a bit torn between a phone with stock Android (Nexus 4, S4, or possibly HTC One in a few weeks), Android+TouchWiz, or Android+Sense.

A few points to consider:
    - Price is not a factor: I appreciate the Nexus 4 is cheaper than the S4 or HTC One, but I'll be buying it unlocked and am willing to put out the full amount. I want the best experience using the phone day to day, not the best experience dependent on the price.
    - I don't necessarily care about the bells and whistle features. Some of those may be cool, but what I want is the best overall experience using an Android device (I appreciate the HTC One is a better build, and that I can look away when watching a video on an S4 — but if it's not a better experience using the phone day-to-day, then I don't care). While I'm tempted to use outlandish features, I'll be using the phone most for organizing and getting through my day, communicating with people in a variety of ways, and using apps to help with everything from banking (I use Mint now), to productivity, to entertainment.
    - I would like LTE, but it's not a deciding factor (I can do without)

These are the main things, but I'm sure there are tons of little things I'll realize once I move over (so if anyone has advice beyond this, it would be appreciated).

Here are the phones I'm considering, but I'm open to others:
    - Nexus 4
    - Galaxy S4
    - Galaxy S4 w/stock Android
    - HTC One
    - HTC One w/stock Android - assuming this comes out soon

All comments are appreciated, as long as they help to answer the questions. I accept people can get heated and fanboy-ism comes out—but please just be honest about your experience (no bickering). I plan on making this purchase in the next few weeks.

Thank you for your time!
    05-27-2013 12:29 PM
    Going off your list and your wants/needs... I would suggest going with the HTC One branded version, not the Google Edition when it comes out.

Why? Well you commented on build quality of the HTC One. That has been a big factor in the HTC One, people like that aluminum casing. Also you commented on possibly using some bells and whistles but they aren't a requirement. Well you can get the best of both worlds here. You can enjoy the stock experience or read up a little, root and install an AOSP custom ROM and enjoy the pure Android side of things. HTC One will get your GSM/HSPA+/LTE depending on your market area and service plan.

Then you can decide if you want to go on contract and get it for around $200 or less or just buy it outright off contract for the full boat of $600 or whatever the exact price is...

Just my two cents but I think given your list you will be a happy camper no matter which device you end up with.
    05-27-2013 01:05 PM
    S4 with stock, or HTC One with or without stock. Nexus 4 is simply the oldest piece of hardware (By a few months granted but I think the S4 and the HTC one are a better build quality) , I've used touch wiz and it's bare able but in the future I'd rather have stock Android but HTC also has a great interface on the o One. This is just my opinion, but I would stay away from touch wiz in this iteration, it seems to me like the bloat ware is just overwhelming.

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    05-27-2013 01:08 PM
    Hey everyone,

I have been using an iPhone since the day the original one was released and am beginning to yearn for a change. And, the recent Android devices have started tempting me. So, here's my question — which one should I get? I'm a bit torn between a phone with stock Android (Nexus 4, S4, or possibly HTC One in a few weeks), Android+TouchWiz, or Android+Sense.

- Price is not a factor: I appreciate the Nexus 4 is cheaper than the S4 or HTC One, but I'll be buying it unlocked and am willing to put out the full amount. I want the best experience using the phone day to day, not the best experience dependent on the price.
    - I don't necessarily care about the bells and whistle features. Some of those may be cool, but what I want is the best overall experience using an Android device (I appreciate the HTC One is a better build, and that I can look away when watching a video on an S4 — but if it's not a better experience using the phone day-to-day, then I don't care). While I'm tempted to use outlandish features, I'll be using the phone most for organizing and getting through my day, communicating with people in a variety of ways, and using apps to help with everything from banking (I use Mint now), to productivity, to entertainment.

These are the main things, but I'm sure there are tons of little things I'll realize once I move over (so if anyone has advice beyond this, it would be appreciated).

- Nexus 4
    - Galaxy S4
    - HTC One

All comments are appreciated, as long as they help to answer the questions. I accept people can get heated and fanboy-ism comes out—but please just be honest about your experience (no bickering). I plan on making this purchase in the next few weeks.

Thank you for your time!
    That's a tough call. I am inclined to agree with Paul627g in saying you should probably go for the ONE. I have the Nexus 4 and it's still among the best but as stated it is a little older than these other devices. I have looked at the ONE and the GS4 in depth and they are both great. Normally I would say Samsung but there is just something about the HTC One.
    05-29-2013 11:28 AM
    I'm a bit torn between a phone with stock Android (Nexus 4, S4, or possibly HTC One in a few weeks), Android+TouchWiz, or Android+Sense.
    One thing to point out is that you aren't forced to use TouchWiz or Sense if you get the S4 or One. Switching launchers is easy, free and does not require rooting. You'll be able to make whatever Android experience you want on either one. Your customization options are nearly limitless with any of those devices. Also, if you go stock Android you may lose out on any camera or sound improvements that software provides on the S4 or One. The big advantage you'll get out of a stock Android phone, especially with the Nexus 4, is quicker OS upgrades.

If you check out professional reviews and comparisons between the S4 and One you'll see a lot of them point out similar things. The S4 has a better camera in most all conditions except for low light. The One has better sound. Whether or not the "build quality" is actually better between the two is, at the very best, poorly quantified so most of it is just subjective opinions. FWIW, I've seen aluminum replacement backs you can buy for the S4 but haven't really seen any reviews of them. The One does get more internal storage for the money, which may or may not matter and the S4 has a SD card slot and removable battery. Which is better depends on how you plan on accessing your media files (you generally can't download cloud music to an SD card to listen to without using or needing data, but you can sync to an SD card from a music management program like iTunes) and how many big apps you plan on installing.

Personally, between the One and the S4 I think the camera, sound and storage options are the actual differentiators. I don't think there are any unique software features that are deal makers and the performance is similar between the two. As long as some minor animation studdering which you may or may not notice doesn't bother you then you'll likely be just as happy with any of those phones. They're all minor variations on the same "Android experience."
    05-29-2013 12:01 PM
    You have all the great choices there.
    I can say coming from iOS in the last month after being there for 5 years. HTC One or S4.
    I know "stock" sounds good at first, but I actually LIKE TouchWiz and Sense 5.0
    I think it adds a lot to stock to android. S4 for does have a LOT of features, but you don't have to use them
    I don't use any Eye or Hand waiving features on the S4. and I LOVE it. Perfect size. 5" / comfortable to hold/ not too big / Fast / Best camera ever put on a phone.

my .02
    nickgalaxys4 likes this.
    05-29-2013 10:42 PM
    HTC ONE, HANDS DOWN, THE BEST. I just switched from an iPhone, after having nothing but iPhone since they came out. This ONE, IS AWESOME.

Sent from my HTC One using Android Central Forums
    05-29-2013 10:49 PM
    Hey everyone,

- Nexus 4
    - Galaxy S4
    - HTC One

Thank you for your time!

I would say either the One or the S4, both Non Google. Garublador put it best that you can always install a new launcher if you don't like TW or Sense. Both devices are extremely solid choices. I would suggest that if you intend to install a lot of apps, for both get the larger capacity memory you can. I don't know about the One, but Samsungs version of the OS is getting a little big. Personally, I like External SD cards, and with that the ability to store music, movies, pictures, etc on a separate storage media, leaving my Internal for apps and related data.

When you do get your new Android device, this may be of help as well. http://forums.androidcentral.com/gen...e-android.html
    05-29-2013 11:48 PM
    Fist welcome to the Android community.

Secondly I'd like to say your are looking to jump in at the best time. Allegheny phones you listed are great choices.

I wouldn't recommend the S4 w/Google until more is known. This is something new Google and samsung are trying for the first time, it's unclear that Google will treat this device like a nexus device. The HTC One w/Google is a rumored device.

All of the devices you list will work well with all of your needs. They have capable processors and large high density screen.

The HTC is more geared towards media. dual front speakers and large lcd screen, and beats equalizer.

The Samsung is a bent towards productivity. It has Removal battery, SDCard slot, multi windows, and the apps. Screen cast (share screen), DNLA, etc... Samsung also does a good job of keeping it's flagship devices up to date. The stay awake feature is far more useful than you might imagine.

One additional phone you might want to consider is the Note2. It's a big phone, but when it comes time to productivity this phone is the best the screen size, pen, supporting apps make it an awesome phone.

I'm currently using a Note2 and like it. I absolutely hate touchwiz so I installed ADW.Launcher.

One last point the Samsung devices have limited disk space if you play a lot of games that will be a big issue because you will run out of space quickly. And most games do not clean up so over time they will eat up space.

If you use disk space for media like books, music, movies, documents, images then it's not an issue actually it's a huge advantage since it's easier to transfer files from an SDCard.
    05-30-2013 09:38 AM
    One last point the Samsung devices have limited disk space if you play a lot of games that will be a big issue because you will run out of space quickly. And most games do not clean up so over time they will eat up space.
    Just a side question if I may--do clean-up utilities like SD Maid take care of this issue?

If you use disk space for media like books, music, movies, documents, images then it's not an issue actually it's a huge advantage since it's easier to transfer files from an SDCard.
    As for what phone is best, I can only share my own experience. Upgrading from a couple of low end models (LG and Samsung) my wife and I both got the Samsung Galaxy S2 E4GT this time, and we're quite happy with them. She has hers in stock configuration, and I rooted mine to flash CyanogenMod10.1; the biggest single difference between these phones and our old ones is that they are powerful enough to run well right out of the box. By contrast, to obtain decent streaming and browsing performance from my LG Optimus I had to root it so I could tweak it. I did root my Galaxy, but that was only so I could run a ROM that would support 360-degree display rotation. I didn't have to do it just to make it usable. These phones were free to us on contract. Since you're willing to plunk down some cash, maybe the Galaxy S4 would be a good choice for you; as happy as we are with our S2s, I can't imagine that a more advanced product from the same line would be anything other than insanely great.

Keep in mind, as someone said, that only an iPhone is good at being an iPhone. As I said in the other thread, once you get to decent quality Android devices, then the difference between Android and iOS becomes more about personal tastes and preferences, rather than one being better by any objective standard.
    Younjulius likes this.
    05-30-2013 10:52 PM
    Go with S4 or Note 2. It's the closest to iPhone among android phones. While some people complain about TouchWiz, it certainly makes it feel more like iPhone. Stock android is too plain and barebones until you start adding/modifying stuffs to it. Sure, some people enjoy tweaking like it though. I believe jelly bean 4.2 is better than iOS 6.
    05-30-2013 11:03 PM
    You should keep in mind that the Note 2 is considerably bigger than the other Galaxy models, and hence bigger than the iPhone--by about a half-inch in length and breadth. it's a tiny bit thinner, though.

A half-inch both ways doesn't sound like much, but when I saw the Note at a store I was mildly astonished at how large it seems. IMHO it's just a bit too big to use and carry comfortably as a phone. I hope Samsung will introduce a version in the smaller size one of these days because stylus support is something I'd certainly like to have on my next phone.
    07-03-2013 05:12 PM
    Hi and welcome..
    I would look at the GS4 (I have this phone best thing ever)
    Note2
    HTC One
    07-03-2013 10:33 PM
    If you're interested in how the cameras in the Galaxy line perform, take a look at this sticky-thread in the GS2 Epic 4G Touch subforum. Post 178 with the gemstone closeups is mine. And to think this is last year's model of the Galaxy, so to speak. I'm sure the cameras in the current model must at least as good, and probably much better.
    07-04-2013 05:09 PM
    My vote would be the HTC one. Great build quality like the iPhone. You can also install the Google edition ROM. I paid 182 out the door for my htc one. I switch between stock android and sense alot.

HTC One
    Bootloader unlocked
    TWRP recovery
    Rooted
    Android Rev 11.5
    Bulletproof kernel

Posted via Android Central App
    07-04-2013 08:38 PM
    Well I have had all the iPhones from 3 to current and today I went and bought the S4 and I have to say that even after less than 1 day I love it ! Would highly recomend it !
    nickgalaxys4 likes this.
    07-06-2013 09:09 AM
    I left iPhone and went to the note 2,i can't go back, it's too smalll
    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
    07-07-2013 10:04 AM