New Notification Methods for Android 4.3

The_Engine

Super Genius
Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I know a lot of us are wondering about what we want in Android 4.3. So here is a thought, and it may be coming.

One thing that has annoyed me on Android 4.x is the way some notifications are persistent and how there is no apparent order to this. The true issue is that some persistent notifications reduce the functionality of the transactional notifications. For example.

Screenshot_2013-05-31-11-13-40.png

The Light Flow and Swiftkey notifications are persistent and don't really change. Before I opened the Swiftkey keyboard I had the full features of the Music Notification (Prev, Pause, Fwd). Once I opened Swiftkey to type something that persistent notification pinched the music notification and reduced the functionality. I can't swipe the Swiftkey notification away so I can easily go back a song. I would now have to close out to home and do that via a widget or opening the music app fully. Which probably means that whatever I was typing now has to be saved as a draft and when I go back to it I may have to reopen it. Kind of a pain no? I won't even mention that the Gmail notification is also reduced in function here. (Oh, I guess I just did, didn't I?)

So what I would like in 4.3 is to have separate notifications for persistent items (Running Services) like Swiftkey or LightFlow, and maybe even Music where they don't get pinched. So if the Music Notification always retains the Prev, Pause/Play and Fwd capability. Then have a separate notification for transaction notifications (emails, SMS, Social Media messages, alerts). It could be the same drop down with a toggle just like how the Options was implemented. Maybe tabbed where a swipe takes from one list to another.

According to this http://www.droid-life.com/2013/05/1...uire-persistent-notifications-for-some-tasks/ Lightflow made the update due to requirements in 4.3. (Swiftkey has done that for a long time now, and it has been referred to as a Bug) So I hope that doesn't mean that any persistent service now has to have a notification in place all the dang time unless they do something like what I suggest to move easily between them and not have the persistent stuff make it harder to take action on the transaction or dynamic stuff.

What do you all think?

The_Engine

Super Genius
Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Okay, so I realized that you can expand the notifications by swiping or kind of dragging them open regardless of where they are. Kind of makes my point entirely invalid. Well played android, well played.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lostandfound