Strange games on Google Play. How and why they get thousands of downloads

moorlakgames

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
I have found strange games on the top list of Google Play.
For example one game has 5-7 clones.
Each has about 5000 downloads and only 5-7 estimates.
All games are easy and not interesting.
Looks like not honest installs.
It seams the developer has a way to buy cheap installs.
But why?
The game has not ads or in-app billing.
So the developer has not revenue.
Perhaps someone know the answers.

Thanks

Last edited:

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I don't understand your questions / statements:

Each has about 5000 downloads and only 5-7 estimates

5-7 "estimates"? what does that mean?

It seams the developer has a way to buy cheap installs

how do you "buy" an install? Are you saying that the developer is paying people to install the game?

This could possibly be a Malware attempt in progress. The last attack came from a group of 4-5 developers who all knew each other. They placed a bunch of apps that had no Malware on the Play Store. After a few months of letting a few thousand people download their apps, they released an update that had malware in it. If you feel something strange is going on you should report it to Google.

I just went to the Play Store to look (since for some reason you failed to actually tell us the names of these games) and I see no evidence at all of what you claimed to see. No strange clones at the top of the Top Free or Top Paid games at all. I suggest you look again and this time give us actual names.

pontiac005

Trusted Member
Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
I could not understand the OP's question either. I have not seen anything unusual and I am in the Play store every day.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

iFebby

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site
If its a free game that has a lot of downloads but no reviews. They could be just a New dev using advertising help (I'll list below some options), they could also be using it to perform malware though as said above which makes more sense if they have multiple versions of the same app on the market.

Tapjoy is one of the companies that rewards users in game currency for installing and running an app once. Getjar also does something similar and other similar advertising companies for your apps. I've seen some that advertise up to 10, 000 guaranteed downloads for your app.

That is all I can think of for now. :)

P.s, are you asking this to benefit you as well? I noticed you yourself got games on the Google play store. 2 are snake games (similarly the same) and one other game that has 1, 000+ downloads with only 8 reviews.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...etails?id=moorlakgames.cards_d&token=MFKy6QIV

Just wondering :)