Is Android becoming the new iOS?

dcb4l77

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Google is pushing the The Nexus Experience program. Its started with the Galaxy S4 and now the HTC One. Both have Google Edition models. Meaning they will be running stock Android. But what is the purpose? Stock Android is just stock, pure vanilla Android. No Touchwiz or Sense. Also meaning they will get updates first, just like a real Nexus device. This would mean no more waiting for OEMs and carriers to push out the update. Just like Apple with iOS on the iPhone. Is this new trend of Google Edition phones the beginning of something bigger for Google and Android? I personally think they're taking a step in that direction. What are your thoughts?

From my Nexus 4 via Android Central App

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
OEM skins are a lot easier to use for first time Android users, in comparison to stock Android.
With TouchWiz, when using the device for the first time, it will display tutorial pop-up menus on the screen showing the user how to use certain functions. With HTC, they actually display the words Copy and Paste, rather than icons the user have to figure out , when copying and pasting text.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I like Touchwiz and sense 5 and LG's UI on the Optimus G Pro. I find vanilla a little boring, but that's just me.
I think phone makers have the upper hand if they would just act on it. Samsung can go to Verizon, Sprint, AT&T etc and say whichever company will push our updates within a month of receiving them (provided there isn't something wrong with the coding) will get the new flagship device. If you can't agree to that, we will release it on T-Mobile or whoever Will do it.
The rest of you can wait until you agree to it.

I'm sure a big company could come up with a better way to put that, but you get the idea.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I like vanilla Android.
Has no extra stuff & is pretty much a clean slate to make it your own.

I get 2-3 Android devices each year but seem to always go back to the current Nexus simply because I like the way my phone looks & acts which isn't quite doable using an OEM skin. Almost, but not quite.

dcb4l77

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
OEM skins are a lot easier to use for first time Android users, in comparison to stock Android.
With TouchWiz, when using the device for the first time, it will display tutorial pop-up menus on the screen showing the user how to use certain functions. With HTC, they actually display the words Copy and Paste, rather than icons the user have to figure out , when copying and pasting text.

It would seem to me that stock Android would be easier to use. OEM skins can be kinda confusing with all the features, even with a tutorial.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
It would seem to me that stock Android would be easier to use. OEM skins can be kinda confusing with all the features, even with a tutorial.

I would disagree. When I let someone check out any of my devices with an OEM skin, they usually can navigate fairly well. If I give them my Nexus device, they ask a bunch of questions. Those of us that are on the forums and have used a stock Android device, will most likely be able to use a stock Android device with no problems. We're the minority. The majority of cell phone users never visit forums such as this on a regular basis, if at all. There used to be a time when you could press and hold the home screen and be presented with options of adding apps, widgets, and shortcuts. The new versions of stock Android stripped it down to just adding wallpapers.
So an average user would say..how do you add apps and widgets to the homescreen... On my Samsung device, if you click the menu key, there's a plus symbol with the words "Add apps and widgets". If you click on it, it will take you to the app drawer and a message will appear telling the user to press and hold and drag to homescreens. On stock Android you're left with figuring that out on your own.
If you want to create a folder, press the menu key and you're presented with the option to add a folder. With stock Android, if you don't already know about the drag an app icon on top of another, you'll never know.
Pressing menu key from the homescreen also has other useful features for the average user.
Another useful feature on my Samsung device is being able to edit your homescreens. It allows you to add or delete pages, and rearrange your homescreens. I can easily do this on my Samsung device, but have yet to figure out how to do it on my Nexus device. I would like to be able to switch the order of my homescreens on my Nexus device, but can't. Perhaps it doesn't have that feature, or perhaps it does. In order to find out I would have to search online to get the answer.
Even the notification shade is easier to figure out on my Samsung device. Pull down the notification shade, you're presented with a button labeled "Clear". Click on it, and it would do just that.. Clear all of your notifications. Pull down the notification shade on stock Android, you'll see 3 lines in the upper right corner. Most of us that have used stock Android know they represent clearing your notifications. Most people probably would think they're decoration, and may not have any idea what they'll do. They would have to click it and find out.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I call it an even trade. Stock android isn't as noobie-proof as some OEM overlays, but like dcb said above, some of those additional features can be confusing as well. I can recall numerous occasions watching people who aren't into smartphones struggle with all kinds of different aspects of their new Samsung. Most of them still don't know how to do a lot of things even 6 months to a year in.

cdf3

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
One area Google needs to improve on is their stock People/Contact app. It allows you to create groups, but no way of sending an email to those in the group.
Some OEM skins add the ability to email groups from within the People/Contact app.
Stock Android needs this feature.

abazigal

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Do you remember what happened to Apple when they last licensed their Mac OS? They gained market share, at the expense of profitability because then, nobody bought their computers when cheaper (and crappier) alternatives began to flood the market.

In the same vein, what incentive would there be for phone manufacturers to bundle stock Android?

For one, they lose out on a key differentiating factor from the rest of the competition, because then, they can't use their own custom skins. The only thing they can compete on would be specs, price and form factor. Samsung has the clear advantage in specs because it owns so much of the manufacturing and parts, but then they also lose out because they can't advertise all their unique software features. For the rest, it would probably be a race to the bottom, with everyone trying to cut corners in a bid to reduce costs.

Else, it would pretty much be like the PC industry all over again.

I personally think it is a fine idea if Google were the only company doing it, but even then, I don't see a huge market for it.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I believe it's all about options and allowing users the chance to go with a stock experience and have up to date software, including security patches.

These devices are not being sold through the normal channels (carriers) and are at a high price (not subsidized). So the average consumer may not be the target. Rather, Google may be looking towards the developers and tech groups to purchase these devices.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae