Best text messaging app?

biz888

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Huge issue with the message apps that come with Android is that it does NOT support GROUP MESSAGING. It supports as many contacts as you want to send message to. But you cannot go back and RESEND to those contacts again. You have to start all over inputting each of your contacts. I just found out today so now I have to go and find another message apps that supports group messages. Too bad as I really like this apps.

jim_butler_maine

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
First let me way I recently switched from an iPhone to my S4, so the android experience is relatively new to me.
I've been using the stock app for msging, but the one quirk that bugs me is when I get a new text from someone and I open the app, it doesn't immediately go to the new text msg.
I've looked through settings and can't find a thing that would impact that...but it seems really dumb to do it that way, so I might just be missing something?

Jim

I use stock as well.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

FZDolfan

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I've tried a bunch of different ones and I always go back to Go SMS Pro.
Although, I haven't checked out Textra yet, will have to do that.

EDIT: Okay, I tried Textra for about 5 minutes and once again have gone back to Go SMS Pro.
Here's why... first, there didn't seem to be a way to customize the conversation appearance (i.e. make the font larger for my 50 y.o. eyes).
Second, I received a picture and when I tapped it to view it, I couldn't pinch to zoom. The width fits to the screen and that's it.
Finally, and this is the biggie for me, seeing as how Verizon's SMS reliability leaves a lot to be desired, there is no setting to receive verification that a text was received by the recipient. I don't mean a sent verification, I mean verification that your text was received by the other person.
Go SMS Pro does all this and a whole lot more.
Can you schedule a text in Textra? I didn't see that option, but then again I had seen enough to know it wasn't enough to satisfy what I've gotten used to.
Some say that GO SMS Pro is bloated. I say it's feature-rich.
Frankly, I really didn't notice anything special about Textra that you couldn't do with the stock messaging app.
Oh, and another thing I almost forgot. I really like getting a reminder notification sound (and a different one at that) when I haven't checked an incoming text for 5 minutes. Didn't notice that capability in Textra either.

As always, YMMV.

Sent from Tapatalk on my GS3

Last edited:

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Chomp SMS is the best 3rd party app i've used. I like the stock android but hate that it doesn't have the native popup option.

awriternot

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I have a really stupid question but what do you say when you are ready to send? If i say Send, it types it... Lol

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

awriternot

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Well then how can it be totally hands free? I thought the point of hands free texting apps were just that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk