Are there dangers with updating apps through public wifi?

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
So I was in barnes and Noble today and noticed I had quite a few updates for my apps in the play store. I didn't want to use my data, and I was impatient, so I signed in to barnes and Noble free wifi and downloaded the app updates?

Is their any dangers with downloading stuff like apps or updates using the wifi at places like Barnes and Noble and Starbucks?

abazigal

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I have never heard of malware being able to infect computing devices via wifi. I don't see anything wrong. You should be safe.

pontiac005

Trusted Member
Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Laptops can be a problem especially running Windows but would not worry about a smartphone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, I'm just very anxious about malware and viruses slowing down my phone. Even if I scan using lookout, I keep thinking it might have missed something. Can malware even slow down your phone or app performance?

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
What do you mean?

He probably means downloading apps with ads that have bad intentions. As long as you are aware of the permissions the app is requesting and it's from a reputable a reputable developer.

Apps can install other apps or transmit your data if you install bad apps. Generally, apps from the play store are okay. Double check reviews and see what others say about it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
There is a risk but no more than you connecting to the Internet. The risk you have been reading about was the potential risk of somebody snooping the WIFI network and see what data you are sending. Like password, etc.... That still exists and is real.

I don't know what kind of information Google play store sends I'm assuming if they are sending credentials then it will most likely be encrypted.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
As long as the authentication is going through SSL(HTTPS), you are safe. The initial problems were a lot of websites allowed clear text authentication. When that Firefox extension was released, it basically snooped on the public network and copied over any user name and passwords done with clear text. Most companies have switched over but not all.

There are still certain applications I have that I wont use over public wifi because I dont know if the authentication data is encrypted or not.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't see any potential problem with updating some apps using a public WIFI connection. Just be smart and careful on WIFI when it comes to which apps you are using but for updating, nah I don't see a problem.

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
You know I just saw a special on the news. Basically using backtrack, a wireless router and some linux know how, a hacker can easily trace your information, simply by setting up a wireless access point that looks like one for the business you are in/using.

But this kind of setup would really only happen in a high traffic area, like airports/hotels and the likes.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
You know I just saw a special on the news. Basically using backtrack, a wireless router and some linux know how, a hacker can easily trace your information, simply by setting up a wireless access point that looks like one for the business you are in/using.

But this kind of setup would really only happen in a high traffic area, like airports/hotels and the likes.

Sure there is always the threat of a hacker looking to break into or steal ones information. That risk will never go away, even over data connection your still vulnerable to the mastermind hacker.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site

Backtrack is used to break into a secured network wireless network, usually a wep one. (Extremely hard to break into WPA2 network if a long password is used and there is no router exploit). What has been more commonly happening is what I posted earlier above. As long as your credentials are using HTTPS/SSL, you will be fine.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Is there risks of the app updates having viruses that will effect performance via public wifi or can get a performance effecting virus when just using the browser via public wifi. That my main concern besides personal info.

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Is there risks of the app updates having viruses that will effect performance via public wifi or can get a performance effecting virus when just using the browser via public wifi. That my main concern besides personal info.

Your risk of getting a Virus is the same at public wifi or at home. It all depends what you do or what websites you go to. If you are concern if somebody can force an url redirection, that would only happen if somebody had taken the time to preset up a dns server, then hijacking the router itself to push your browser to go to their website. And that is a lot of effort that really isn't worth it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1