Android Tablet as News Ticker

Craig Poole

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Hi AC community,

I've got a Newsmy 7 inch tablet laying around gathering dust. It's not really up to muster for much as the screen is very low res, the cpu gasps at just running a web browser and there is less storage space than then end of my pinky. I've tried selling it but I can't seem to shift it, so I've decided to re-purpose it as a news ticker for my desk. I'd like to run a full screen widget or program on it that shows me news stories from my rss feeds. I would also like it to auto-refresh itself every 30 seconds or so and not require me to interact with it to keep it working.

I've tried a few programs like Feedly and gReader but the widgets don't work so well full size and the programs don't seem to have a 'kiosk mode' or any form of unattended mode. I surely can't be the only person who wants to use their device like this.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Craig

baroquedub

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I use Flipboard a lot but as far as I know it doesn't have an unattended mode - i.e displaying different stories without user interaction. Like Craig I want it to auto-refresh itself so I don't have to interact with it to keep it displaying new items - like a digital picture frame, but displaying rss feeds.

I've found what appears to be a suitable jQuery plug-in so I think I'll have to code it myself and use PhoneGap to compile to an Android app. If it works out I'll be happy to share the apk with anyone who wants it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hisoka_Ryuzaki