iOS 7...thoughts?

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
As an iPhone user I think it was greatly inspired by Android. And that is a good thing. I really think Android is top notch, only I like the Apple ecosystem. So here I get a bit more functionality. Good stuff, and yes Apple was inspired by others and are taking flac for it, but such is the industry.

Looking at the comparisons out there, they were actually more 'inspired' by WebOS than anything else. It just so happens that Android also drew significantly from WebOS as well.

Nemephosis

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Looks like apple "borrowed" from every platform including its jailbreaking scene.

Yeah, but they've been borrowing from the jailbreaking scene for a long time. Not that I ever minded, since when I wasn't jailbroken it was nice to finally get simple tweaks and features that the phone should have had all along.

I hope someone goes along and outlines everything apple "borrowed". They sure like to throw pissy fits and lawsuits any time someone borrows their stuff, but it's supposed to be perfectly fine and acceptable when they do it. Let's just say if they start getting the other end of the lawsuit-hammer, it won't sadden me.

edit: Skyping with a buddy, he just said:

"lol it looks like Windows Phone threw up on an Android"

I... find it hard to disagree with that. I am still of the opinion that one should use what works for them and if iOS is it, then that's great, but honestly, that seems like a pretty good assessment IMO...

vdroide

May 23, 2013
Visit site
Looking at the comparisons out there, they were actually more 'inspired' by WebOS than anything else. It just so happens that Android also drew significantly from WebOS as well.

Well the cards thing was definitely WebOS. But I had a Pre as my first smartphone, so I am very excited for that feature for sure..

Nemephosis

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
I'd get tired of all that pastel really quick.

Sent from my Sony Xperia ZL

Yeah, I hear you. I told my buddy that if I hadn't already changed to an Android, seeing iOS7 would have done it for me. So really, I was coming to Android sooner or later anyway it looks like.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, but they've been borrowing from the jailbreaking scene for a long time. Not that I ever minded, since when I wasn't jailbroken it was nice to finally get simple tweaks and features that the phone should have had all along.

I hope someone goes along and outlines everything apple "borrowed". They sure like to throw pissy fits and lawsuits any time someone borrows their stuff, but it's supposed to be perfectly fine and acceptable when they do it. Let's just say if they start getting the other end of the lawsuit-hammer, it won't sadden me.

edit: Skyping with a buddy, he just said:

"lol it looks like Windows Phone threw up on an Android"

I... find it hard to disagree with that. I am still of the opinion that one should use what works for them and if iOS is it, then that's great, but honestly, that seems like a pretty good assessment IMO...

They don't throw hissy fits as long as you borrow stuff that isn't patented. ;)

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
They've patented boxes with rounded corners? That was one of the things they complained about Samsung doing, IIRC.

Not quite. That was one element of a multi element trade dress patent. Samsung violated all of them.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Nemephosis

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Okay, well, I'm not going to pretend to understand all that, but all I really saw was a lawsuit over icon and phone shapes... I dunno. The whole thing was stupid anyway.

androidforum

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
@JHBThree, Umm hello... I literally wrote that post five minutes after watching the iOS 7 video on YouTube. I'm not going to waste my time and post the link because I trust you can manually find the video and look at the upload date and compare it with my post.

jonathan2677

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I like it a lot. Looks good. Can't wait to get it on my ipad and try it out.

Yeah there's a developer on my local craigslist saying for 30 he'll register on his development account and install software before you pay sounds tempting for my ipad mini

sent from my favorite phone of the year HTC one, don't mean it has to be yours

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I think the design is beautiful, and the attention to detail great. However, nothing feature wise surprised me because it seems like nothing that was presented was brand new. Android has had those features in some form or another.

What were you expecting?

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Looks better but nothing that makes me want to switch back. PS4 laying the smacketh down was far more interesting for me.

I'm glad you think so, the ps4 is a way better option than the xbox one, can you say restrictions I can. It's a shame about no backwards compatibility though, Sony has always been good for it, I dont know what prompted them to change it now.

I'm done with console gaming anyway, it's getting too far behind, the good old PC in terms of both hardware and software.

Running TN's Msg and Chubbz

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm wondering if anyone else is considering a switch to ios. I'm liking what I'm seeing with ios 7 a lot. Don't know, will evaluate options when I upgrade.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
@JHBThree, Umm hello... I literally wrote that post five minutes after watching the iOS 7 video on YouTube. I'm not going to waste my time and post the link because I trust you can manually find the video and look at the upload date and compare it with my post.

Except none of what you wrote in your post was features they actually announced. They didn't announce multitasking, for example. They announced the opening up of APIs that open up the 'sandbox' for all apps.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
The brief version is in my sig. The long version is that I feel this is a step in the right direction... for existing iOS 6 users. For smartphones in general though I don't feel it was enough. This piece actually lists my thoughts very closely: Does iOS 7 make Apple exciting again? The main features of Android that iOS still doesn't do are why I've decided that I'm not going to add an iPhone to my stable this year:

• 4" screens used to be enough for me, but now that I've used larger screens I can't go back again.
  • Google Now is a part of my daily use now, and the iOS version doesn't cut it nor does Siri.
  • Big point for me: Apple still hasn?t offered developers a solution that will allow third-party apps to integrate and communicate with each other
  • Widgets in 2013 and beyond are far better, cleaner, more efficient and versatile than they used to be. I don't use them a lot but the amount of functionality I get out of the 2-3 that I do use is huge. No widgets in iOS still
I'm not asking for a lot, but that small list carries much weight for me as a user. And there are many features I didn't name that they put in that are pretty cool, and every current iPhone user should be very satisfied, but they're just not enough for me to switch.

sooner7

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Right they just talked about multitasking in their iOS 7 intro, doesn't sound like they are discussing a feature at all to me.

bearda

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Yeah there's a developer on my local craigslist saying for 30 he'll register on his development account and install software before you pay sounds tempting for my ipad mini

sent from my favorite phone of the year HTC one, don't mean it has to be yours

You can find someone who will register your UDID for less than $5 on eBay. I don't think the iPad images are out yet, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith