Yes, it sucks being limited by my, frankly pitiful, 8gb on my Nexus 4. 5gb out of the box. After carefully going through my music collection, being as thrifty as possible, there's only 3gb left on my device. Hardly enough to install "killer" games like Real Racing 3, GTA III etc. and push my Nexus 4's quad-core to it's full potential.

Is it possible to rip games on Android? Compressing or removing elements like audio would make the game smaller, and enable me (and anyone else with insufficient storage) to store more games on the same device. I'm not an Android dev but I imagine the APK would also need modification so as to not run a data scan and verify files.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    06-20-2013 09:26 AM
    Yes, it sucks being limited by my, frankly pitiful, 8gb on my Nexus 4. 5gb out of the box. After carefully going through my music collection, being as thrifty as possible, there's only 3gb left on my device. Hardly enough to install "killer" games like Real Racing 3, GTA III etc. and push my Nexus 4's quad-core to it's full potential.

Is it possible to rip games on Android? Compressing or removing elements like audio would make the game smaller, and enable me (and anyone else with insufficient storage) to store more games on the same device. I'm not an Android dev but I imagine the APK would also need modification so as to not run a data scan and verify files.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Android Games file size is rarely have anything to do with audio as most audio files are already compressed and usually a bare minimal aspect of the game unless it has lots of dialogue. The issue is that the higher the resolution games the larger the graphics are. You would literally have to reverse engineer the game and shrink down all the graphics. Then it would look like a disaster because of that.

My other suggestion would be if you have a decent data plan, maybe move your music over to Google Music and start streaming your songs from the cloud. That would free some space although that would be small concession in this situation.
    06-20-2013 09:36 AM
    Android Games file size is rarely have anything to do with audio as most audio files are already compressed and usually a bare minimal aspect of the game unless it has lots of dialogue. The issue is that the higher the resolution games the larger the graphics are. You would literally have to reverse engineer the game and shrink down all the graphics. Then it would look like a disaster because of that.

My other suggestion would be if you have a decent data plan, maybe move your music over to Google Music and start streaming your songs from the cloud. That would free some space although that would be small concession in this situation.
    Thanks for your answer, I have some experience being active on the P2P scene and was wondering if a similar concept could be applied here. For example the data files for GTA III are roughly 1.2gb, if I were to remove all audio files it'd bring the size down to 900mb, videos account for another healthy chunk, as do languages that I do not require. All in all the base game ( the thing I'm interested in playing) only accounts for about half.

The resolution, however, does pose a problem...( I wouldn't mind no audio but reverting to Atari would ruin it)

The idea of streaming my music has never appealed to me, thanks nonetheless!
    06-20-2013 11:48 AM
    For example:

GTA III Ripped Data

Something similar for the Nexus 4?
    09-04-2013 09:55 AM