Google's Director of Engineering says humans can upload entire brains to computers in about 32 years

FlyingBackwards

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Google's Director of Engineering says humans can upload entire brains to computers in about 32 years.(2045)

Google futurist claims we will be uploading our entire MINDS to computers by 2045 and our bodies will be replaced by machines within 90 years | Mail Online

I always knew that Google wanted to turn humans into a race of Androids. Now it's just a matter of
waiting 32 years.

Is it just me or is everything from Star Trek starting to come true? This scenario was already
shown when Data(the Android commander) received the consciousness of his "grandpa"(from
one of the TNG episodes) This one:
Data+and+Grandpa.jpg

Last edited:

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Google's Director of Engineering says humans can upload entire brains to computers in about 32 years.(2045)

Google futurist claims we will be uploading our entire MINDS to computers by 2045 and our bodies will be replaced by machines within 90 years | Mail Online

I always knew that Google wanted to turn humans into a race of Androids. Now it's just a matter of
waiting 32 years.

Is it just me or is everything from Star Trek starting to come true? This scenario was already
shown when Dana(the Android commander) received the consciousness of his "grandpa"(from
one of the TNG episodes) This one:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-t_pEz9PplL0/USEbWhzDqAI/AAAAAAAABdY/Uswfo_J-KjA/s1600/Data+and+Grandpa.jpg

Thats crazy, lol

his name is actually Data.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Is it just me or is everything from Star Trek starting to come true?
I was just noticing this, too. At the hospital where we've had our two daughters delivered all the nurses had Star Trek style communicators. They were small devices that clipped to the front of their shirts. They'd push a button on them, and speak a person's name out loud. The person on the other end gets asked if they will accept the call and if they do they have two way communication. They push the button again to hang up.

FlyingBackwards

May 21, 2013
Visit site
I was just noticing this, too. At the hospital where we've had our two daughters delivered all the nurses had Star Trek style communicators. They were small devices that clipped to the front of their shirts. They'd push a button on them, and speak a person's name out loud. The person on the other end gets asked if they will accept the call and if they do they have two way communication. They push the button again to hang up.

What's next?

"We are the Borg. Lower your shields and surrender your ships.
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to
our own. Your culture will adapt to service us. Resistance is futile."

Hope not... :(

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Now all I have do to is live for the next 90 years and become filthy rich so that I can afford to become a robot. That'd make me 114, that might not be unlikely given the advancement in medicine that will surely come between now and then...

Also, if I become a robot, you better believe I'm getting a subscription to Carbonite's continues cloud back up so that I can just get a new robot body if I get in a wreck or something!

FlyingBackwards

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Now all I have do to is live for the next 90 years and become filthy rich so that I can afford to become a robot. That'd make me 114, that might not be unlikely given the advancement in medicine that will surely come between now and then...

Also, if I become a robot, you better believe I'm getting a subscription to Carbonite's continues cloud back up so that I can just get a new robot body if I get in a wreck or something!

Just make sure you keep the credit card information up to date on a regular basis... or they'll cancel your subscription and wipe everything off. :(

I've been saying that Google is Skynet and nobody listened to me....

tin foil hat off...

3407964452_1950a0f151.jpg

charkzilla20

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
We don't even know a fraction about how the brain works. This is mostly bullcrap.

Props to Google for making a strange announcement like this though. Interesting talk.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
We don't even know a fraction about how the brain works. This is mostly bullcrap.

Props to Google for making a strange announcement like this though. Interesting talk.
That's sort of the thing. Even if Moore's law holds up for another 32 years there's no law dictating how fast they'll develop the technologies required to actually convert your brain to digital data or simulate the human brain's activities. Just having the computing power to do it isn't anywhere near good enough. Plus you have to have people paying for all of the right types of research and consumer products for innovation to continue the way it is. It could turn out that for whatever reason we don't spend as much, or any, time trying to develop ways to convert our brains to digital data in the next 32 years. We could be studying something else instead. It happened with space exploration. Space exploration was the area of study for a long time but that's fallen off shapely. It turns out computing and communication were more profitable and important. Who knows what will turn out to be the next "it" field of technology will be?

I predict that he's wrong. These are the sorts of predictions that almost never come true.

2010 Isn't What Many Futurists Of The Past Imagined : NPR

FlyingBackwards

May 21, 2013
Visit site
That's sort of the thing. Even if Moore's law holds up for another 32 years there's no law dictating how fast they'll develop the technologies required to actually convert your brain to digital data or simulate the human brain's activities. Just having the computing power to do it isn't anywhere near good enough. Plus you have to have people paying for all of the right types of research and consumer products for innovation to continue the way it is. It could turn out that for whatever reason we don't spend as much, or any, time trying to develop ways to convert our brains to digital data in the next 32 years. We could be studying something else instead. It happened with space exploration. Space exploration was the area of study for a long time but that's fallen off shapely. It turns out computing and communication were more profitable and important. Who knows what will turn out to be the next "it" field of technology will be?

I predict that he's wrong. These are the sorts of predictions that almost never come true.

2010 Isn't What Many Futurists Of The Past Imagined : NPR

Not to mention that Apple, Inc will sue Google.... yes, Apple invented it first. :) Perhaps Apple has already patented it. :)

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Not to mention that Apple, Inc will sue Google.... yes, Apple invented it first. :) Perhaps Apple has already patented it. :)
Actually, I predict that this huge Apple vs. Samsung thing will bring about some change in patent law. It's way too easy to patent stuff that's obvious and get away with it right now.

charkzilla20

Aug 13, 2012
Visit site
Ray Kurzwiel?
He's not "The" director of engineering, he's "A" director of engineering. Also, he was recently hired within the past year or so.
From what I know, a lot of google employees think he's a complete crackpot. People say he tries to sound smart, when he's actually BSing just about everything.
The actual scientists at Google think that he's a disgrace to the company. :/

GadgetGator

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
This doesn't matter to me. I'll never live to see this. And I am not sure I would want to frankly. Talk about making things impersonal! People are selfish and uncaring enough these days. I'd hate to see how much worse that would get if we were all reduced to ones and zeroes.

FlyingBackwards

May 21, 2013
Visit site
This doesn't matter to me. I'll never live to see this. And I am not sure I would want to frankly. Talk about making things impersonal! People are selfish and uncaring enough these days. I'd hate to see how much worse that would get if we were all reduced to ones and zeroes.

32 years isn't that far away. (go back 32 years and Ronald Reagan was still in office :) )

If humans can continue to "live" in the cloud, does the US government have to continue pay them social security every month...
That ought to bankrupt social security much faster than anticipated. :(

Unless, of course, the other Star Trek prediction comes true... i.e. the abolition of money as we know it. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers