Have HD displays on Android reached their peak?

carraser891

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
The screen is one of the most important factors of what makes Android great. In 2012, 720p HD screens were introduced and they were amazing. In 2013, Full 1080p HD screens are the standard. With phones with 400+ ppi at this resolution, the human eye does not detect pixels. In my opinion, I don't see how packing even more pixels into a 4.7 or 5 inch screen would make it any more sharp. Plus, I don't see smartphones getting any bigger than 5 inches. What do you guys think?

Posted via Android Central App

AngelArs

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Contrary to popular belief your eyes can only distinguish but so much. After that it doesn't matter how many pixels or what the marketing department calls the screen. This has been discussed in depth on the Apple forums when Retina was launched. I believe the magic number is
0.6 arc minutes per pixel for the human eye, but everyone is slightly different.
We're coming up to the point where it won't matter anymore, probably around another 30%. However that won't stop marketing departments from jumping up and down proclaiming how their new and improved screen is better.... A lot also has to do with the distance that the device is held.

FlyingBackwards

May 21, 2013
Visit site
The screen is one of the most important factors of what makes Android great. In 2012, 720p HD screens were introduced and they were amazing. In 2013, Full 1080p HD screens are the standard. With phones with 400+ ppi at this resolution, the human eye does not detect pixels. In my opinion, I don't see how packing even more pixels into a 4.7 or 5 inch screen would make it any more sharp. Plus, I don't see smartphones getting any bigger than 5 inches. What do you guys think?

Walk into any Best Buy, Walmart or other electronics retailers....
there are always dozens of 1920x1080 HDTVs on display.
Prices range from $500 to $5000. You get what you pay for.
(even if they are all 1920x1080 HDTVs) :)

I imagine the same can be said about smartphone 1920x1080
screens between 4 to 6 inches in size.

mysticmeg

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
What would be interesting is to see a 4K screen in a phone using a 5 inch display. Now that is what you call crazy.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Andyvalver

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I'd like to see android screens improve to give better whites. Compared to my previous iphone and current ipad the screen on my note 2 does not give as good whites at all. Not even close. Looking at them side by side my ipad screen is far superior.

AngelArs

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
What would be interesting is to see a 4K screen in a phone using a 5 inch display.
Both 4K and 8K are aimed for televisions. 4K is around 8.3 megapixels, aspect ratio16:9. Currently there are around 5 TV projectors that can display this so the technology is there for future phone use. There is also 3D without glasses technology which would be cool for a phone.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It's easier to market a spec number than it is to market the display color quality.

bp3dots

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
Pixel counts aren't the only place screens can improve. Color representation, brightness/sunlight readability, refresh rates, etc. I don't think we'll stop seeing improvements anytime soon.

djw39

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to see android screens improve to give better whites. Compared to my previous iphone and current ipad the screen on my note 2 does not give as good whites at all. Not even close. Looking at them side by side my ipad screen is far superior.

Of course, the Note 2 is not representative of all Android screens. My LG Optimus G has an LCD which is much more similar to Apple's displays in color balance. People still do like the Samsung displays though.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463