Do Android phones limit downloaded file size?

DagneyTag

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I have an unlimited data plan with Verizon. I want to keep it because my data usage is extremely high. (I download a lot of audiobooks.) I never had a problem downloading audiobooks with my Droid X, which, sadly, died the other day. So instead of buying a discounted phone and being forced into a new limited data plan, I popped over to the Apple store and bought an IPhone5 at full price. The first time I tried to download an audiobook, it stopped after 50 MB and said I had to use WiFi for the rest. Totally unacceptable! Of course, I'm taking it back, but first I want to find out: Do any of the android phones have a size limit on downloads from cell networks?
Thanks for your help, and I promise never to stray again!
DagneyTag

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I don't believe Android phones have any intrinsic limit on downloaded file size. You can set a limit of your own, though, by going to the System Settings.

The Amazon Appstore does put a limit on how big a file you can download. Under the Amazon Appstore's Settings, there's an option "Use Wi-Fi When Downloading Apps Larger Than," and the choices are 1 MB to 50 MB. However, there is no choice for unlimited, so Amazon does impose a limit that you can't avoid. On the iPhone that you briefly had, were you downloading the audiobook from Amazon or the Apple Appstore?

DagneyTag

Jul 8, 2013
Visit site
I was downloading from Audible. I was doing exactly what I did with my Droid X, with no problems. I have to be able to use the cell network, because I'm an amateur astronomer and spend a lot of time in the desert where there's no WiFi. Thanks for the response. I think I've decided on the Droid Razr Maxx HD.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma