Get the Nexus 4 now or stick out till the Moto X or Nexus 5

Should I buy the Nexus 4 or wait it out

• Total voters

Kabini

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello Android users

I have finally saved enough to buy myself a new phone for Uni, and coming from a crappy(now broken) Samsung SGH-c414 feature phone, I was looking at getting a Nexus 4 since I love vanilla android. However there is heaps of rumours about the release of the Nexus 5 & the X Phone combined with the release of Key Lime Pie

The question is, should I stick out till the Nexus 5 or X phone, or just grab the Nexus 4 now and make up my mind. Right now I'm surviving on a broken piece of crap, but I worry that it won't carry itself in Uni which begins in September.The other side of me want to avoid the Nexus 4 which uses 2012 hardware and instead wait for the Nexus 5 which would use better hardware.

If you guys can share your thoughts, and help me come to a consensus it would be helpful

Kabini

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
As of now the device I'm using is almost unusable( have of the screen had burnt itself out).But I know I need something that would serve well in Uni which starts in September. Maybe another feature phone would serve me up till then until the Nexus 5?
This is all very confusing for me since I don't really know much about android phones. Any suggestions from anyone in the same situation would be helpful.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Hello Android users

I have finally saved enough to buy myself a new phone for Uni, and coming from a crappy(now broken) Samsung SGH-c414 feature phone, I was looking at getting a Nexus 4 since I love vanilla android. However there is heaps of rumours about the release of the Nexus 5 & the X Phone combined with the release of Key Lime Pie

The question is, should I stick out till the Nexus 5 or X phone, or just grab the Nexus 4 now and make up my mind. Right now I'm surviving on a broken piece of crap, but I worry that it won't carry itself in Uni which begins in September.The other side of me want to avoid the Nexus 4 which uses 2012 hardware and instead wait for the Nexus 5 which would use better hardware.

If you guys can share your thoughts, and help me come to a consensus it would be helpful

If you have been getting by with a feature phone then the Nexus 4 will blow you away. It's a great device and one of the best devices I have used. Being that it is a Nexus it will receive KLP and will continue to be supported into the future. If the Nexus 5 happens to be that much better then you can just sell your N4 and pick up the N5. Maybe I am off base here but I don't see Google pricing the N5 as reasonably as they did the N4. Now that they have the Google Edition ONE and S4 for 599 and 649 they can price the N5 at 499 and make it look cheap. It's your call in the end but if you keep waiting to get the best you will always be waiting.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Get the phone you need today, there's always a better one coming out and you'll drive yourself crazy trying to keep up.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I got my nexus 4 in early spring, and to be honest, nothing released to this day interests me more, even though they all have a more up to date CPU/RAM/display/cam. However my top two priorities have always been thus: Achieving stock Android out of the box with no tinkering required, and a complete bypass of carriers. I view the 2013 lineup as an incremental update. The only way I would switch right now is if the CPU/RAM/display/cam of these phones were double the N4 rather than an incremental update.

Having said that, since your phone is pooched, I would buy pretty much anything and just resell it once the N5 comes out. Since you'd be reselling it, it doesn't really matter what you get, right?

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
The Nexus 4 won't just completely lose its value when the Nexus 5 comes out, so it's certainly a viable option to get the Nexus 4 now and sell it when the 5 is released to cover most of the cost. If you can financially afford that, it'd be my recommendation.

Gamer_Radar

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Hello Android users

you on AT&T?? or tmobile or spring or what??

I'd highly recommend waiting it out though, If you need SOMETHING and you're on tmobile or ATT, you could grab a pre-paid and use that for the time being.. i've done that in the past when my ATT Phones died and i had to wait it out....

cbrider22

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Get the Nokia lumia 521 if you can make a switch to T-mobile in your area. 150 bucks for a phone that's 10 times better than a feature phone and just wait it out till the next nexus come out. You may like it so much that you decide to keep it. Seeing the fact that the Galaxy Nexus is still usable, getting a nexus 4 wouldn't be a terrible option. I'm sure the Nexus 4 will remain a good phone for at least another year.

Posted via Android Central App

jdbii

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I would just get the Nexus 4 today. The rumors are heating up but there is no way to know what kind of phone the Moto X will be. Even though the Moto X may be available in August, (If the latest rumor posted on cnet today is credible), there are just endless variables that are unknown. Will it be mid-range, high-end, subsidized, $400, $600, stock android, locked, unlocked, and so forth and so forth and so forth The Nexus 5 sounds more interesting because it probably will have KLP, and we can expect stock android and unlocked, but if released in October you will be lucky to get your hands on one by January 1st. The first of the year is more than five months out. That'd be too long for me to wait and I'd just buy one today. The post directly above mine suggested buying the Nokia 521 for $150. That is not a bad idea and you could probably resell for for $90 or $100 six months down the road but if I was going to go that route I'd be more inclined to buy and resell a Nexus 4 as others have suggested in this thread.

Kabini

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the input guys

I've decided to get m'self the Nexus 4 right now, since I am kind of in a desperate need for a new phone. I was thinking of getting a prepaid from Rogers(I'm in Canada), but decided that I could just give my Nexus 4 to my sister who is just starting high school (who has a ****ty phone too) when the Nexus 5 comes out and then buy it for myself instead.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
To be honest I think I'm just going to skip the Moto X and go straight from my N4 to the N5. The Moto X specs just aren't sealing the deal for me and I'm looking at it as basically a N4 with LTE.

Kabini

Jul 10, 2013
Visit site
To be honest I think I'm just going to skip the Moto X and go straight from my N4 to the N5. The Moto X specs just aren't sealing the deal for me and I'm looking at it as basically a N4 with LTE.

I do agree, the Moto X seems to be a mid range device, with mid range specs.
The Nexus 4 being so cheap, I can easily afford to buy another Nexus 5 next year and just give the old 4 to a family member.
I had a original budget of $1k reserved for a phone, so this is entirely feasible.Hopefully the Nexus 5 is moderately priced, has amazingly specs and comes quickly to the Canadian Play Store.

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Well there's always something "better" around the corner...2 months, 4 months, 6 months....

You wait for the Moto X but, hang on, the Nexus 5 is released in a couple of months so perhaps I'll just wait a while and check that out. Nexus 5 comes out but, hang on XYZ has the next "big" thing coming out soon so I'll wait to see what that's like. So either....

a) You keep putting off what you want to buy in case the next "big" thing is just around the corner (which means you end up buying nothing)....or

b) Buy what you want now and just enjoy it.

Constantly wondering/yearning for what's around the corner just leads to disillusionment and disappointment.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
That depends. Speaking only for myself I would much rather only go from one Nexus phone to another, so that guarantees a year long span between phones. Again, speaking for myself.

jdpj2008

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I was in the same situation. However i am going with the nexus 4 and will just do an upgrade to the nexus 5 once it comes out. I don't know what the price point will be on the Moto X and it should have those great motorola radios but i have never had the pure google experience and guaranteed timely updates so i made my decision based on that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci