BlackBerry, iOS, or Windows Phone? - Which would you choose?

Garneth

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
So here's a question I put forward to the Android Central community.

We (pretty much) all use Android here, or else we wouldn't be on this website. However, there are three other market-leading operating systems out there. Those are Blackberry's BB10 OS, Apple's iOS, and Microsoft's Windows Phone (7 and 8).

If you had to choose between one of those three platforms rather than an Android for your next phone, which phone do you think you would choose from which manufacturer and OS and why? You can choose only one OS, or you can answer for all three.

For me:
- Windows Phone: Definitely I would choose the HTC One clone that's rumored to be coming to Windows Phone in the next year. I love my HTC One and would love to hold such a powerful Windows Phone device, too, even if I am not a fan of the 'busy' feeling of WP's UI.

- Blackberry 10: I would choose the Q10 or the Z10, not sure which honestly. The thought of having a physical QWERTY keyboard on my phone really intrigues me, as I grew up into the smartphone industry (I got an iPhone 3G on my 13th birthday, before I had just a Motorola RAZR and before that some other phone [both PayAsYouGo]) and never got to experience an old-fashioned Blackberry Bold for myself, which is actually something I am looking into purchasing on eBay or some other source because I want to have a Blackberry device really badly for some reason. Both the Q10 and Z10 look really sleek and cool, and I think BB10 OS looks great and must feel great too for those who use it. With OS 10.2 coming and adding support for Jelly Bean apps, would any of you be interested like I am in switching platforms once your upgrade is up to a Blackberry? If their Blackberry World takes off with Android ports, I could really get to like it.

- iOS: I would choose the iPhone 5. I wish the iPhone 5's screen was wider, as it's too thin for how tall the device is, but it's the latest and greatest iPhone so why not? I already have an original iPhone hand-me-down, an iPhone 3G I used to use, and an iPhone 3GS hand-me-down, and my mom's old iPhone 4. All I really need is my sister's 4S when she upgrades and then a 5 and I have them all really. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Kris Simundson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Blackberry, iOS, or Windows Phone? - Which would you choose?

We (pretty much) all use Android here, or else we wouldn't be on this website. However, there are three other market-leading operating systems out there. Those are Blackberry's BB10 OS, Apple's iOS, and Microsoft's Windows Phone (7 and 8).

If you had to choose between one of those three platforms rather than an Android for your next phone, which phone do you think you would choose from which manufacturer and OS and why? You can choose only one OS, or you can answer for all three.

For me:
- Windows Phone: Definitely I would choose the HTC One clone that's rumored to be coming to Windows Phone in the next year. I love my HTC One and would love to hold such a powerful Windows Phone device, too, even if I am not a fan of the 'busy' feeling of WP's UI.

- Blackberry 10: I would choose the Q10 or the Z10, not sure which honestly. The thought of having a physical QWERTY keyboard on my phone really intrigues me, as I grew up into the smartphone industry (I got an iPhone 3G on my 13th birthday, before I had just a Motorola RAZR and before that some other phone [both PayAsYouGo]) and never got to experience an old-fashioned Blackberry Bold for myself, which is actually something I am looking into purchasing on eBay or some other source because I want to have a Blackberry device really badly for some reason. Both the Q10 and Z10 look really sleek and cool, and I think BB10 OS looks great and must feel great too for those who use it. With OS 10.2 coming and adding support for Jelly Bean apps, would any of you be interested like I am in switching platforms once your upgrade is up to a Blackberry? If their Blackberry World takes off with Android ports, I could really get to like it.

- iOS: I would choose the iPhone 5. I wish the iPhone 5's screen was wider, as it's too thin for how tall the device is, but it's the latest and greatest iPhone so why not? I already have an original iPhone hand-me-down, an iPhone 3G I used to use, and an iPhone 3GS hand-me-down, and my mom's old iPhone 4. All I really need is my sister's 4S when she upgrades and then a 5 and I have them all really. :p

I currently own a BlackBerry Q10, and of all my ever owned devices (to include devices like a WP7/iPhone5/SGS3), this one is the best hands down. I'm currently running a leaked version of 10.2.0.483, and I can attest to Jelly Bean support being awesome. The ability to have native BB apps and android ports (and sideloads), is huge for me, as I have access to all my old play store purchases now (Not to mention with 10.2 and JB support, we'd have a larger 4.2.2 install base than Android itself :p). I had the Z10, and personally felt it's the best on screen virtual keyboard to date (swiftkey is still a close second).

If I had to have a second device it would personally be the Nokia Lumia 928. I love Windows Phone devices for their integration (I'm a big Windows guy), and the support for the Xbox is also awesome.

Thirdly would be Android again. I absolutely loved my HTC One X, my GS2 and GS3 and even my GNex. But I found myself not even using the devices as a phone. I was constantly just downloading new nightlies, flashing, restoring, and if it wasn't stable, re doing my TWRP backup of my last ROM. It was way fun, but I never found myself using the device.

Lastly would be a iOS device again. I had fun with my iPad2, iPhone 4S and iPhone 5, however I found myself only searching the App World for new apps to try, and they'd be deleted within the hour. Other than that it was my least productive device ever owned.

But with all that, it really truely is all about personal preferences.

Garneth

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site

I currently own a BlackBerry Q10, and of all my ever owned devices (to include devices like a WP7/iPhone5/SGS3), this one is the best hands down. I'm currently running a leaked version of 10.2.0.483, and I can attest to Jelly Bean support being awesome. The ability to have native BB apps and android ports (and sideloads), is huge for me, as I have access to all my old play store purchases now (Not to mention with 10.2 and JB support, we'd have a larger 4.2.2 install base than Android itself :p). I had the Z10, and personally felt it's the best on screen virtual keyboard to date (swiftkey is still a close second).

That's really awesome. In a year or so I may definitely look to buying a Q10 or Z10 off-contract on eBay or something when it'll be cheaper.

How do the android ports run? Are they a big mess of bugs? Or do they work pretty well?

Kris Simundson

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

That's really awesome. In a year or so I may definitely look to buying a Q10 or Z10 off-contract on eBay or something when it'll be cheaper.

How do the android ports run? Are they a big mess of bugs? Or do they work pretty well?

They are hit and miss right now. The ones ported to the BlackBerry World (App Store), are really quite good. The one's we have to sideload are the tricky ones. Some apps work perfectly fine with a normal sideload. We've also managed to get apps working that didn't work via the normal method. Example, Candy Crush Saga doesn't work via normal sideload, however, if we use a debug token, and convert the apk ourselves based on device pin, we can actually get CCS to work. The downside to that, is that its a per device fix, not a general public fix.

PS. And we do have Instagram via both sideload methods. Just waiting on it to hit the BlackBerry World.

Garneth

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site

They are hit and miss right now. The ones ported to the BlackBerry World (App Store), are really quite good. The one's we have to sideload are the tricky ones. Some apps work perfectly fine with a normal sideload. We've also managed to get apps working that didn't work via the normal method. Example, Candy Crush Saga doesn't work via normal sideload, however, if we use a debug token, and convert the apk ourselves based on device pin, we can actually get CCS to work. The downside to that, is that its a per device fix, not a general public fix.

PS. And we do have Instagram via both sideload methods. Just waiting on it to hit the BlackBerry World.

That's really awesome. Definitely considering a BB10 device now for a future upgrade.

anon(6174973)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site

For me:

I would choose iOS if I had to choose a platform other than Android. The reason is because of the support from apple and also the number of developers working on Apple. Honestly, it is way easier to jailbreak an iPhone compared to an android (even though the S4 was also simple to root).

Despite the fact that android is rising rapidly, many app developers are still creating apps optimised for Apple products before porting it to android. For that reason, there are rarely bugs present in apple apps sometimes.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

geronco

Jul 3, 2013
Visit site
I personally would never use anything besides an Android phone, but I guess if the world as we know ended, and earth was left with these three options, I would use an iPhone (god I hate myself right now) but chances of that happening is slim to none :)

Sent from my Note 2 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1373562708941.jpg
    1373562708941.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 32

nickgalaxys4

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site

For me:

I have used all of these phones but I would say Blackberry,because I can add an SD Card,and also everyone out there has an iPhone I like to be different. I also liked my BlackBerry back in the day.

anon(6174973)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I have used all of these phones but I would say Blackberry,because I can add an SD Card,and also everyone out there has an iPhone I like to be different. I also liked my BlackBerry back in the day.

The best thing about blackberry is the physical keyboard. Still had my old blackberry Bold and nothing beats its keyboard (not even my Nokia 1280)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Kilroy13

Banned
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I would go blackberry if android ceased to exist! Windows would be a close second! If there was only apple, I wouldn't own a phone!

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 2

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
if I had only those 3 options, iOS for sure. I don't care what the apologists for those other two say: Yes - yes it IS about the apps. deal.

anon(6174973)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Btw, if there was a choice, I would choose Symbian S40. The one that operates on Nokia Asha. I actually find it quite good although it is not comparable with my phone.

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Garneth

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
if I had only those 3 options, iOS for sure. I don't care what the apologists for those other two say: Yes - yes it IS about the apps. deal.

There won't really be an issue with apps come Blackberry 10.2, though, as they are adding support for Jelly Bean 4.2.2 apps. I'm expecting a huge amount of ports coming in over the next year or so, and the Blackberry World market should get to a pretty decent size.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Depends on whether or not the devs porting them 'fire and forget'. I've seen a lot of currently ported apps never get updated after the initial port.

avenuePad

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I think I would go with the BB Q10. Some of those Nokia phones are pretty slick, though. There's just something about the Q10 I love. Really feels like a phone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

anon(6174973)

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
Depends on whether or not the devs porting them 'fire and forget'. I've seen a lot of currently ported apps never get updated after the initial port.

It sometimes depends on the popularity on the other os. If it's not high in demand, I think development would slow down on the ported app.

Sent from my HP Slate 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
1.) Blackberry- I would get the A10

2.) Windows Phone- I would get some things like the 822, all of their high end phones have non removable memory which is a non starter for me.

3.) IOS- I would never get an iPhone unless someone buys it for me. I would never spend my money on such a limited device. Blackberry offers much more personalization.

Posted via Droid RAZR M on the Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power