Advice-Galaxy S4 or HTC One? Any advice appreciated

jlanik4

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I've been having trouble settling on a smartphone can anyone help?!?

My wants and needs:
Great gaming performance (Consistent and fluid graphics)
Reliably and predictably responsive experience around user interface
Best display around
Timely updates (its android, but still)
Durable and visually appealing aesthetics and build quality
Not necessary but I would like good speaker output
A phone that will remain a great phone down the road, I plan on keeping the phone for the long haul.
Good all around camera, don't plan on viewing photos anywhere besides phone.

Thanks for any help!

Posted via Android Central App

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

My wants and needs:
Best display around
A phone that will remain a great phone down the road, I plan on keeping the phone for the long haul.

Thanks for any help!

All of these are obviously my opinion. I suggest spending time playing with live devices.

1. Tie, with edge toward the HTC One. Both screens would be very good for gaming.
2. Edge to HTC, but installing Nova on either device would bring it to a tie.
3. HTC
4. Samsung.
5. Tie. Do not confuse build quality with build materials.
6. HTC
7. Tie
8. Samsung. HTC has better low light pictures and vice versa for Samsung.

Myself however, if I was in your situation, I would choose the S4, because I like having expandable memory. For me, that is HTCs only losing point.

jlanik4

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
All of these are obviously my opinion. I suggest spending time playing with live devices.

1. Tie, with edge toward the HTC One. Both screens would be very good for gaming.
2. Edge to HTC, but installing Nova on either device would bring it to a tie.
3. HTC
4. Samsung.
5. Tie. Do not confuse build quality with build materials.
6. HTC
7. Tie
8. Samsung. HTC has better low light pictures and vice versa for Samsung.

Myself however, if I was in your situation, I would choose the S4, because I like having expandable memory. For me, that is HTCs only losing point.

Yes, I hate no expandable memory as well. forgot to mention that. Thanks for your help!

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site

My wants and needs:
Best display around

Thanks for any help!

Gaming-probably a tie although the ONE has slightly better ppi.
Reliability-tie
Best Display-ONE
Timely Updates-All depends on your carrier. Most likely Samsung
Durable/appeal-ONE
Good Speaker-ONE
Remain great-Tie
Good camera-If only viewing on the phone the ONE has a better camera due to being usable in more situations like low light.
However, the GS4 camera is awesome in good lighting and outdoors so this all depends on where most of your photos will be taken.

I have had both devices and used both devices extensively and at the end of the day after much grief and mind changing, I have FINALLY settled on the ONE for good. The lack of expandable memory is a non issue as it has a minimum of 32 gigs. Internal memory is more reliable and transfers faster. A removable battery however, may be something you are interested in. Some people enjoy having the ability to add an extended battery or swap multiple batteries. Alternatively, you can get an external battery pack to have with you for those times you won't have access to a wall outlet/car charger.

It's a very touch decision and you can't really go wrong either way! Good luck!

cocosnack

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
My feeling about the S4, the screen looks nice, but too dim under sunlight. Camera is very good, system feels sluggish at times but I blame Samsung bloatware, TOO MANY...

Garneth

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
I love the HTC One. I will certainly not be getting another HTC based on what I've learned about the company, but I certainly do love this phone.

The build quality is great, the BoomSound + Beats Audio is magnificent, and I love how it feels in my hand.

The only issue I really have with the build quality is it can scratch easily (the metal body). Just don't do anything stupid and you'll be fine. This baby has survived several drops so far for me, so you should be fine!

Don't let the non-expandable storage bother you. 32 GB is a lot of space. You can really fit a lot of stuff on it.

Lastly, Touch Wiz is laggy and full of bloatware, whereas HTC's Sense5 is light, and easier to use. I really like using BlinkFeed, personally.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I love the HTC One. I will certainly not be getting another HTC based on what I've learned about the company, but I certainly do love this phone.

The build quality is great, the BoomSound + Beats Audio is magnificent, and I love how it feels in my hand.

The only issue I really have with the build quality is it can scratch easily (the metal body). Just don't do anything stupid and you'll be fine. This baby has survived several drops so far for me, so you should be fine!

Don't let the non-expandable storage bother you. 32 GB is a lot of space. You can really fit a lot of stuff on it.

Lastly, Touch Wiz is laggy and full of bloatware, whereas HTC's Sense5 is light, and easier to use. I really like using BlinkFeed, personally.

Just curious, what did you learn about the company that will deter you from future HTC purchases?

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I know you said HTC one and s4, but I'd consider holding off and maybe seeing what the moto x turns out to be. Could be better for your needs.n

jlanik4

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I was actually thinking now about holding off for either the note 3 or the HTC One Max. One max is sounding awesome.

adamspt2

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Glad I found this thread. I'm debating between the two as well. But also thinking about the MotoX. Oh, and the Nexus 5. Two phones that haven't even been announced. I'm looney like that. I really like my Nexus 4, but would like 4G and a better camera.

jlh73

Jun 17, 2012
Visit site
I've used both. Imo the HTC one is a lot smoother than the s4. I was worried about the camera. but not any more. It takes great pics.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781