Is it safe to use the car charger?

Nabooy

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I have heard many negative replies and I was wondering if it is actually safe to use the car charger. Some say it may damage the battery and could infect it. Some say it is fine. Also, how about using the one by Z10's car charger from Crackberry's site? Is that fine or do I have to buy an additional one for the HTC One itself?

Posted via Android Central App

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm using a third party car charger and it seems to work fine. I've always used third party ones. If you walk into your carrier store, they'll sell you a third party charger. If this was a big issue you would read all over the internet how there is an ongoing car charger apocolypse. Possibly a car chargernado.

Forgive my poking fun, but you're ok! Use the car charger and just make sure your device doesn't get too hot. Overheating would be the first symptom of a problem.

packerbacker

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully they're okay - I just bought one from Verizon today because I'm going on a 25 hour drive tomorrow!

Sent from my Galaxy S4 via the AC Forums app

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
To can't get infected from a car charger.
Read the specs on your charger, the output specs. If they are the same voltage you are fine.

Sent from my A700 using Tapatalk 2

Nabooy

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm using a third party car charger and it seems to work fine. I've always used third party ones. If you walk into your carrier store, they'll sell you a third party charger. If this was a big issue you would read all over the internet how there is an ongoing car charger apocolypse. Possibly a car chargernado.

Forgive my poking fun, but you're ok! Use the car charger and just make sure your device doesn't get too hot. Overheating would be the first symptom of a problem.
Actually that was the issuse. When I first got my HTC, it was a battery hog to me so I plugged it into the car charger and man, it was overheating the device like hell a lot! I don't know if it was an issue with the phone itself but whenever I plug in to the wall charger, same thing happened to me and was overheating the very same. I sold it and got another one but never tried with the car charger. This is why I'm asking here first before I use my newly second device that could get damaged from it. Also, like I said I got the one from Crackberry so here is it...

BlackBerry Premium 1.8A Micro-USB In-Vehicle Charger | BlackBerry Chargers & Cables

So what do you guys think?

Technosticrati

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't use that with my phone. It's almost double the output of the charger that came with the phone. No wonder it's getting overheated.

realsuprimo

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Just check the voltage your New car.charger is emitting against the one on your home phone charger to avoid killing your battery. The other thing is don't leave your phone too long when your charging it in your car, after its full you take it off the charger.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2

Nabooy

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
So which one do you recommend me to get? The one that is on sale from the store on this site?

Nabooy

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Just check the voltage your New car.charger is emitting against the one on your home phone charger to avoid killing your battery. The other thing is don't leave your phone too long when your charging it in your car, after its full you take it off the charger.

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk 2
Do I have to take it off as soon as the charge hits full even with the wall charger that comes with the device as well? Sometimes I just leave it like that even if it's full while going to bed and unplug it the next day when I wake up. Will the battery get affected in this case too?

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
The phone stops accepting a charge when the battery is full.

Don't think of a charger as a hose forcing power into the phone. Think of it as a straw from which the phone sips.

You can leave your phone plugged in for weeks with no ill effects.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

ab304945

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
So which one do you recommend me to get? The one that is on sale from the store on this site?

http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix...rsal-Charger/16940656?type=shop-by-department. This is what I have. It is small enough to able to close a cover on the outlet.

0068538730600_300X300.jpg

And you can plug in 2 cell phones and will charge both

Scott Kenyon

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Actually that was the issuse. When I first got my HTC, it was a battery hog to me so I plugged it into the car charger and man, it was overheating the device like hell a lot! I don't know if it was an issue with the phone itself but whenever I plug in to the wall charger, same thing happened to me and was overheating the very same. I sold it and got another one but never tried with the car charger. This is why I'm asking here first before I use my newly second device that could get damaged from it. Also, like I said I got the one from Crackberry so here is it...

BlackBerry Premium 1.8A Micro-USB In-Vehicle Charger | BlackBerry Chargers & Cables

So what do you guys think?

My phone is plugged into a 2A charger in my car right now. I just drove an hour to work plugged in all the way. My phone will limit the charge it takes to 1A. That's why it's ok.
If this wasn't the case I would have already needed to replace my device many times over. I drive to visit my mother often. That's a three hour drive. My phone is plugged into this same 2A charger for those trips as well.

I'll leave it at that. Anyone is free to disagree with what I've stated.

Sent from my HTC One using Mobile Nations mobile app

Nabooy

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
Well I learned something new today:

usb - Can I use a charger with more output amperage than the device needs? - Super User

Apparently you can use a charger that's more powerful than the device needs since it will only draw what it needs as others have said in this thread.

OK that's good news but I've been wondering always why does the phone heats up a lot when using a car charger that has more voltage than the current charger? I really don't wanna mess up the battery and go for a third device again.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
Your phone heats up because you are in a car driving in and out of the range of successive towers.

If you are using it for navigation or music there is a lot going over the radio as well.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I think this is a case of technology moving faster than word of mouth advice. It used to be that each cell phone would have some sort of proprietary charging connector and potentially unique requirements. Now, almost all phones and pretty much every single smart phone, charges through a USB port. Anyone who makes a product that has the USB symbol on it (i.e. all companies that make chargers to charge these phones) has to adhere to the USB standard or they're subject to litigation (they can be sued). Part of those standards is the voltage level on the power pins. So if you're using a brand that's at all reputable they'll be putting out a safe voltage.

The phone OEM's can't guarantee that you'll pick a reputable brand, so they say to only use their charger. In practice, however, there are many brands of chargers that will work. There's a lot lower chance of you picking a charger that puts out dangerous voltages on a USB port than there was of you picking out a charger that doesn't fully comply with some proprietary charging requirements that they tried to reverse engineer.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
livinlavidaloca