I think I'm done with tablets

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
They still don't do everything a full computer can. For a while they were a good mobile solution because laptops were chunky with poor battery life. Thing thing is though, that's changing. By the end of this year there will be tablet sized windows (full, not RT) devices, with detachable keyboards, high power CPU's, and tablet-like battery life.

ahaxton

May 10, 2010
Visit site
I don't want it to replace my laptop. I want it to be better at doing things my laptop is a bit too bulky to do, but I want a bigger screen than my HTC One for. Sitting on the couch surfing the internet while watching TV? It is easier with a tablet than with a laptop because I can hold the tablet instead of trying to find a precarious perch for the laptop which is easy for it and comfy for me. In addition, if I'm really into reading something or watching a Youtube video (or watching the Greatest Android Podcast in the world, the Android Central podcast) , it's easier to get up and take it with me to the kitchen instead of either stopping or lugging a laptop with me, again perched precariously on my arm. When I'm laying in bed reading a book on Google Play books or watching a movie after my wife goes to sleep, I want a larger screen than my phone affords, but again without the bulk of trying to figure out a good place for the laptop that is also comfortable for me. I use my laptop for writing and doing finances, but rarely anymore for media consumption. It's all about the right tool for the right job.

SuperXstyle

May 23, 2013
Visit site
They still don't do everything a full computer can. For a while they were a good mobile solution because laptops were chunky with poor battery life. Thing thing is though, that's changing. By the end of this year there will be tablet sized windows (full, not RT) devices, with detachable keyboards, high power CPU's, and tablet-like battery life.
I can't wait...! Transformer Infinity is almost there... same as Microsoft RT, but not quite...

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
Hybrid Laptops with detachable interfaces will be the future.

The argument in question is can a tablet replace a laptop.

Right now on my Note 8, the only thing I can not do yet is

Plug into a network that only has ethernet access.

jrsharp70

Aug 24, 2012
Visit site
I haven't used my computer in two months. If I have to type something, I just talk into my tablet.

But I don't have a desk job, and I don't have to type professional documents, so I can clearly see how a real computer has an advantage for some.

Posted via Android Central App

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I haven't used my computer in two months. If I have to type something, I just talk into my tablet.

But I don't have a desk job, and I don't have to type professional documents, so I can clearly see how a real computer has an advantage for some.

Posted via Android Central App

I have been using cloudon for a while, they offer a full version of word , powerpoint, and excel in their remote desktop system. Only thing it is missing is printing, but I can email attachments to my hp printer for that.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
The argument in question is can a tablet replace a laptop

That question is relative to the user. For serious work related functions, no, it's still not even close. You're still far more productive with fully fledged office software and other content creation using a full laptop computer, along with multiple peripheral ports, etc than you can be with a tablet. If you're only use for a laptop is for leisure and media consumption, then tablets are much more portable and just as good for movies, music, web browsing, games etc.

I've been re-thinking my OP though. I don't really need to own both a laptop and a tablet because the work I'm in doesn't require a mobile computer of any kind and never will. There's no way I'm going to get one of the new haswell powered all-in-ones for even close to the same price I pay for a new gen Nexus 7 or iPad mini or the same size factor (I prefer the 7-8 inch tablets).

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
At the moment, between my iPad and my Nexus 7, they can do 99% of what my computer can do. I think it's a good thing to own both, it's a good thing.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I use both rather heavily. And at the same time. My PC I need for rooting and flashing ROMs, while my tablet I use for emails, roughly half of my YouTube videos.

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Samsung Ativ Q - Windows/Android hybrid - available soon: https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...omputer%2Fpcs%2FNP980Q3G-K03US&token=jDFN8G0l

Sony VAIO Duo - Windows hybrid - available now: Amazon.com: Sony VAIO Duo SVD13215PXW 13.3-Inch Convertible Touchscreen Ultrabook (Carbon White): Computers & Accessories

Asus Transformer Book - Windows hybrid - available now: Amazon.com: ASUS Transformer Book TX300CA-DH71 13.3-Inch Touchscreen Laptop (Silver Aluminum): Electronics

Any one of these is both a laptop replacement and functions as a tablet. I'm leaning towards the Samsung, but any of them are better than my almost 5 years old Dell laptop, can do everything my laptop does now, and tons more in a lighter, faster package. And I am willing to bet you see significant price drops on these come holiday shopping season in just a couple or 3 months.

Last edited:

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
That's one of the last-gen Atom chips. The problem with those low powered, low cost hybrids is you can do a lot of things on those but games and intensive multimedia are out of the question, while both can be had on a $250 tablet

lpt2569

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
That's one of the last-gen Atom chips. The problem with those low powered, low cost hybrids is you can do a lot of things on those but games and intensive multimedia are out of the question, while both can be had on a $250 tablet

Yep. Just saying, the form factors are changing and there will be a lot of choices soon for these types of products that meet or exceed current laptop specs and productivity, etc.

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I write software for a living and can't imagine life without a PC. At the same time I've really warmed up to the idea of using a tablet for a good deal of tasks. What I can say is this I don't have to compromise and pick one over the other, I'm perfectly constant using both simple because each one does a set of tasks substantially better than the other.

I've actually written an app on my note 2 for kicks and while it was very easy to do its still faster on my PC. Vise versa reading and surfing are much better on a tablet.

Rocking with the Note II

Farish

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I write software for a living and can't imagine life without a PC. At the same time I've really warmed up to the idea of using a tablet for a good deal of tasks. What I can say is this I don't have to compromise and pick one over the other, I'm perfectly constant using both simple because each one does a set of tasks substantially better than the other.

I've actually written an app on my note 2 for kicks and while it was very easy to do its still faster on my PC. Vise versa reading and surfing are much better on a tablet.

Rocking with the Note II

I am trying out AIDE for this purpose.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using AC Forums mobile app

troutspinner

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I agree, tablets will never be up to par to a pc. They are great for couch surfing, simple emails and such but I can't tell you how many times I've "got up" to go to the computer to do a task I wanted the tablet or iPad to do.

I tried the Surface Pro, nice device but battery life is lousy so I went to the new Macbook Air with the Haswell. This has been the best solution for me, I can do everything because it's a real computer. It is super light, does not get hot and has a keyboard that does not take up real estate on the screen and the battery life is insanely good.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
For browsing/reading and watching videos (Netflix, YouTube) - I love my Nexus 7. Note: I use my wife's iPad for other apps (Amazon Instant Video, Watch ABC, NBC).

The only time I'm really on a PC at home is when I need to type out long emails or when I'm editing photos in Lightroom.

Work though - PC with Windows + Office + Project + Team Foundation Server + SAP. In my line, I need full blown PC/laptop.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't really view it as a replacement and still have a desktop for certain windows-centric tasks. I really don't like having to think about what OS I am on and with both Apple and Microsoft trying to make their ecosystems exclusionary, while Google is trying to make their services available on every OS, I'm more inclined to adopt as much Google tech as possible and feel relatively comfortable that using their services isn't by default locking me out of anything in the future.

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents here.

I think tablets are just gap fillers at the most. If you need true mobile on the go kind of device, then a phone is what you need. But since most people have a smartphone nowadays what they need is a productivity device. That's where computers come in. And the world could sure live on with just those. But people get bored with the same thing so they need to bring something NEW in their life of mobility and productivity. That's where a tablet comes in. A tablet brings in something new and exciting. Whether or not we really need one in the first place!

Based on your original post you gave me the impression that you thought tablets were made to entirely replace computers. If and when the Windows FULL, and not the RT version, comes out what would you call that? A tablet? A computer? At this point in technological age the term tablet and computers are getting fuzzier by the minute. I believe a tablet COULD replace a computer if the software was good enough (in my own opinion). You could use a blue tooth keyboard to type along with a mouse even! But the thing that makes me NOT want to use a tablet for say writing an essay is the software. The app. Compared to what we're used to (Microsoft Word) it looks....amateur (in my opinion). But other than that it seems to be a viable solution to productivity. But that's just me. :3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12