(Posted this in the wrong forum originally)

so, right now I'm going back and forth pretty hard deciding if I want to trade in my ipad mini for a new nexus 7 and if I want to invest more deeply in android or not.

Here's the thing, I have a nexus 4 already, but aside from home screen customization, I don't really dig deep into the android OS. I don't side load, I don't root, I don't flash, I mainly just use the phone like it is. Mainly because I'm not sure I wouldn't screw the phone up if I started messing with its software and honestly, I do think I want to go through all the hassle.

So having said that, I'm starting to question if android is going to be the right OS for me to buy my phones and tablets in as opposed to IOS.

the things i do like a lot about android are the notifications, quick access, and how the apps talk to one another and work with each other. But I also value user experience and "things just working"

So, my dilemma is wether I want to also get into android for tablets, or just leave that area to IOS and have Android as my phone OS. but then I'm rebuying the same apps on both ecosystems and etc, I think It would be less stressful to have all my devices the same OS and ecosystem.

Do you guys have any thoughts?
    07-28-2013 02:02 PM
    I don't root or overly customize my phone. Aside from the list of favorite apps linked in my sig, nothing special. And guess what ? - All of it... "just works".

You would not catch me dead with using I-tunes, it blows. I would not pay for any of Apples' overpriced toys - They're over-priced, n'uff said. I-phone was the first, but it does not make it the best. It's the "trendiest" amongst hipsters, but I don't follow fashion trends, I'm not a sheep and don't care for hip.
    07-29-2013 03:33 AM
    Yes, Android is still great even if you don't root or replace the ROM. The fact that you can install your launcher of choice, change fonts, choose your keyboard, etc. make it a highly personalized OS. Even if you choose to do none of the above it's still allows more freedom than iOS.

Sent from my Element Eclipsed S4
    GadgetGator likes this.
    07-29-2013 05:10 AM
    FWIW, you don't have to root or change ROMs to customize more than just the look and feel of you phone. With Tasker and its plug ins you can add not only a lot of custom functionality to each device, but lots of inter device functionality as well. For example, I have a widget on my phone that tells me the battery level of my tablet and whether or not it's charging. You can push web sites, YouTube videos or lots of other things from device to device (with EventGhost and Chrome you can include PC's in that as well) and even trigger all that stuff using custom speech commands.

Of course there's some work involved, but no rooting or anything that could screw up your device. If you don't plan on doing any of that then it's down to what functionality you need and what you get from your mobile OS. If you're OK with Apple's assumptions about what the best way to do things is (which they are pretty good at) and you don't mind using the hardware and software they want you to use (iTunes, Apple TV) then Apple is a very good way to go. If you have specific ideas on how stuff should work then Android lets you tailor how your stuff works more, but you have to do the work to tailor it yourself. Or if you're happy with Android's assumptions about how stuff should work (they've gotten a lot better about it lately) then you have a lot more hardware choices. Most minor annoyances can be corrected with third party apps, which are usually easy to find, install and use.
    07-29-2013 08:38 AM
    I don't tinker much, but I customized the heck out of my phone.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
    07-29-2013 03:11 PM
    Sell your iPad Mini and get the new Nexus 7. Its a much better 7 inch tablet.
    07-29-2013 05:32 PM
    Absolutely. Purchasing my Nexus 4 was the end of my Root/ROM days. Which is ironic considering it's so suited for that lol, but on the flip side it also meant I had no more need for ROMs because of the direct updates. But yeah, I find Jellybean so stable, capable, and advanced now that I simply have zero motivation to change anything. The only "tinkering" I do nowadays is just use a custom launcher like Nova and an icon set. Even homescreen customization is something I do very little of now. I liked my last setup so much I haven't changed a thing in months.
    07-29-2013 07:40 PM
    So, my dilemma is wether I want to also get into android for tablets, or just leave that area to IOS and have Android as my phone OS. but then I'm rebuying the same apps on both ecosystems and etc, I think It would be less stressful to have all my devices the same OS and ecosystem.

Mac Makeup
    Belstaff Mens Jackets
    Belstaff Motorcycle
    Belstaff black
    07-29-2013 07:49 PM
    Absolutely. Purchasing my Nexus 4 was the end of my Root/ROM days. Which is ironic considering it's so suited for that lol, but on the flip side it also meant I had no more need for ROMs because of the direct updates. But yeah, I find Jellybean so stable, capable, and advanced now that I simply have zero motivation to change anything. The only "tinkering" I do nowadays is just use a custom launcher like Nova and an icon set. Even homescreen customization is something I do very little of now. I liked my last setup so much I haven't changed a thing in months.
    Well, there is not much to change in vanilla android, its clean, light and responsive. Unlike some carrier or OEM versions that have more bloatware than a windows computer bought from best buy...
    07-29-2013 09:06 PM

Mac Makeup
    Belstaff Mens Jackets
    Belstaff Motorcycle
    Belstaff black

Yeap. IF you can, I suggest an Android tablet for this and other reasons.

Sent from my Element Eclipsed S4
    07-30-2013 12:33 AM
    It all boils down to your content.
    If you have tons of itunes songs AND Apple movies and use the Itunes store a lot, then you might be happier with your IPad.
    However, if you don't have many apple movies (Itunes music can be moved to android easily) then I think you can have more resources
    more movies and more music and content by going android. . .
    Both OS are easy enough to use -and you are familiar with both.
    Benefit of using Android for your tablet will be closer syncronization between phone and tablet. ..

GOod Luck!
    07-30-2013 07:45 PM
    Here's where I am on this issue right now. I have an iPad and I have a lot of apps, some even paid. But there is so much locked down that I cannot change. There's currently no offical Google Music app, I can't stream my music to my home theatre without doing something like buying an Apple TV and using AirPlay..actually I'd have to even buy a new iPad for that...still on original one here or getting a Chromecast. Whereas I can send my Google Music to my home theatre from my Android phone no problem. I can however stream YouTube videos to my TV with the iPad YouTube app. So at least there's that.

But other things frustrate me on the iPad too. The lack of alternative keyboards drives me nuts. The desktop being your app drawer basically, drives me nuts. Apps seem to crash on it more too. In ways I seems like both Android and iOS are not mature enough products and still have a ways to go before I would be totally happy with either. But by and large, I really like the flexibility that Android gives me on my phone. So I am not sure what my next tablet will be. I am a little torn on that right now. Cause some things I really like on the iPad, like my airport router app for one. I would miss that. It's not an easy decision that is for sure.
    07-30-2013 11:53 PM
    So I traded the ipad mini in to amazon and when I get credited for that I'm going to order the 32gb nexus 7. But amazon doesn't have it right now it seems
    07-31-2013 01:41 AM
    It all boils down to your content.
    If you have tons of itunes songs AND Apple movies and use the Itunes store a lot, then you might be happier with your IPad.
    However, if you don't have many apple movies (Itunes music can be moved to android easily) then I think you can have more resources
    more movies and more music and content by going android. . .
    Both OS are easy enough to use -and you are familiar with both.
    Benefit of using Android for your tablet will be closer syncronization between phone and tablet. ..

GOod Luck!
    I wasn't really expecting this, but after installing Google Music manager on my iMac iTunes purchased music -> Android is pretty seamless. I can buy music on my iPad or my wife can buy stuff on her iPhone, the iMac downloads it automatically, and it gets uploaded into the Google cloud without a hitch. iTunes music works just as well as music purchased from Google Play for me. I just wish there was something available for iTunes purchased video content.
    markbc likes this.
    07-31-2013 08:17 AM
    Nexus 7 has latest version of Android that is 4.3. It has all feature which a tablets must have. Android is an open source which allow user to install application for free. There are free version of applications are available which are very interactive and users are more satisfied with android.
    07-31-2013 10:16 AM
    I wasn't really expecting this, but after installing Google Music manager on my iMac iTunes purchased music -> Android is pretty seamless. I can buy music on my iPad or my wife can buy stuff on her iPhone, the iMac downloads it automatically, and it gets uploaded into the Google cloud without a hitch. iTunes music works just as well as music purchased from Google Play for me. I just wish there was something available for iTunes purchased video content.
    Yeah, unfortunately video is a more tricky area for DRM than music. I'm considering buying my video on amazon if I need to purchase it, because it can be seen on more devices than iTunes. However, amazon STILL (!) does not have a instant video android app, which boggles my mind to no end.

So maybe google play is the better way to go for buying stuff. However, there still isn't a solution that works on everything.
    07-31-2013 02:00 PM
    As versatile and less expensive and more fun/ customizable as android tablets are compared with the iPad, the video issue is a possible problem area.

If your videos are mostly Netflix our crackle or one or two others... then the android tablet is a fine choice. Also, Play has videos and there also is YouTube, etc.

But Amazon video is much better in terms of available content than Play... and if you're not Netflix, then you are not going to be happy with the remaining video options for android tablets.

an iPad can avail itself of Amazon content, but for regular android tablets it's a hassle... and without flash on the newest android tablets, I am not sure one can still even use a web browser to view amazon instant videos...:-(

That one fact is keeping me from switching from a kindle fire hd and its also the reason that Amazon won't put its instant video app in the play store...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using AC Forums mobile app
    08-02-2013 09:48 PM