Jellybean is on 40% of all Android devices

dc9super80

Apr 30, 2013
Visit site
Well Jelly Bean has been around for a while and there have been a few point updsates. Good to see the catching up though..

Posted via Android Central App on the Nexus 7

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I wonder what the bb heads and isheep is gonna rip on now that's fragmentation isn't an issue.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape using Tapatalk 2

gollum18

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Good glad to see gingerbread finally being outdated. The fragmentation issue is always the first thing brought up by androids competitors.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
Good glad to see gingerbread finally being outdated. The fragmentation issue is always the first thing brought up by androids competitors.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Fragmentation is still an issue and will always be an issue for Android. 40% is still low for an OS that has been out for a year. Btw am still running Gingerbread and its the best android version.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
How bout no Bro. 40% for a year isn't bad at all seeing the millions and millions of different android phones that are available.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Fragmentation is still an issue and will always be an issue for Android. 40% is still low for an OS that has been out for a year. Btw am still running Gingerbread and its the best android version.

And compared to jb gingerbread is garbage Imo.

Last edited:

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Fragmentation is still an issue and will always be an issue for Android. 40% is still low for an OS that has been out for a year.
That's what I was going to say, too. 40% is way too low of a number for how long JB has been out. The fact that people consider that number to be some sort of milestone highlights just how bad the "fragmentation" (though I'd call it terrible OEM/carrier support) really is.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Oh my frigging god u two haven't got a clue. Do u know how much 40% of android phones are. And read the actual article. Gingerbread is outdated and isn't on a lot of handsets compared to a year ago. It's simple math.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Oh my frigging god u two haven't got a clue. Do u know how much 40% of android phones are. And read the actual article. Gingerbread is outdated and isn't on a lot of handsets compared to a year ago. It's simple math.
Yeah, 40% means that more than half of the Android devices are running an outdated OS. The actual number doesn't matter. The fact is that a majority of devices don't even have the most recent major release and a vast majority (93.5%) don't have the latest version of Android (not counting 4.3). Almost a third of Android devices are running an OS that's been obsolete for almost 2 years. The fact is that carriers and OEM's aren't supporting their devices that they're selling us.

Compare that with iOS where 93% of iOS devices are running iOS 6:

Apple iOS 6 runs on 93 percent of iPhones and iPads - IT News from V3.co.uk

and 40% seems absolutely terrible.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, 40% means that more than half of the Android devices are running an outdated OS. The actual number doesn't matter. The fact is that a majority of devices don't even have the most recent major release and a vast majority (93.5%) don't have the latest version of Android (not counting 4.3). Almost a third of Android devices are running an OS that's been obsolete for almost 2 years. The fact is that carriers and OEM's aren't supporting their devices that they're selling us.

Compare that with iOS where 93% of iOS devices are running iOS 6:

Apple iOS 6 runs on 93 percent of iPhones and iPads - IT News from V3.co.uk

and 40% seems absolutely terrible.

Actually the other part is running ics while the chosen few is running gb for some odd reason. If u are running gb still u are using an old phone because no phone sold this year or late last year had gb.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Actually the other part is running ics while the chosen few is running gb for some odd reason. If u are running gb still u are using an old phone because no phone sold this year or late last year had gb.

Actually there are prepaid phones still selling with Gingerbread.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site

So "old" is > 10 months? Phone contracts are two years and Android phones are considered "old" less than halfway through that? That sounds equally as terrible.

Also by "chosen few" you really mean "almost a third of all devices."

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
So "old" is > 10 months? Phone contracts are two years and Android phones are considered "old" less than halfway through that? That sounds equally as terrible.

Also by "chosen few" you really mean "almost a third of all devices."

Who said that phones get old that quick. And regardless if the phone is old so what the s2 has jb what is u talking about. And that's boost and virgin mobile flagship before the s3 came. So like I said chosen few.

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
And get off apples lap. It's easy to update like that if u dont have access to anything. I'll take my so called outdated OS over iOS and those restrictions anyday.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
So like I said chosen few.
Again, a "chosen few" is a third of all Android devices out there. 40% my have JB, but 33% still have GB. It's not just a couple of phones, it's a third of all of them.

And get off apples lap. It's easy to update like that if u dont have access to anything. I'll take my so called outdated OS over iOS and those restrictions anyday.
But Apple is the only company worth comparing to. Windows phones have such as small market share and is so new that you can't really tell what their update schedule will be like. If you're looking at the two major phone ecosystems and comparing their pluses and minuses, this shows up as a gigantic plus for Apple. They blow Android out of the water. 40% may be an improvement, but it's still abysmal compared to what you can get for the same amount of money from Apple. I understand why it's like that, but from the consumer's standpoint that doesn't matter. With Android you're pretty much guaranteed not to have the latest and greatest during the life of your device. With iOS you're pretty much guaranteed that you will have the latest and greatest, even if you have your phone for more than 2 years (the 3GS is 4 years old and has iOS 6 on it). Sure there are ways around it in Android, but you have to either rely on some developer to make a ROM for you or buy a really specific phone which either doesn't have the latest hardware or costs a bunch more. It's not like with iOS where you'll just get it.

I'm as big of a fan of Android as anyone and won't give it up, but that doesn't make the numbers posted absolutely terrible compared to what they can be. I don't expect the 93% that Apple gets, but 40% for an OS that's been out for a year is ridiculous.

It's not just me, either. They consider it an issue at Google, or at least the head of Android does. It most certainly is a balancing act that's difficult to deal with, but, according to the head of Android: ?In general, we at Google would love everyone to work on one version of Android, because I think it benefits everyone better? and with there not even being a majority of devices that use the same version, it's easy to deduce that Google isn't getting what they prefer.

Google?s New Android Chief Talks Challenges Of Keeping A Platform Consistent While Being Open | TechCrunch

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Again, a "chosen few" is a third of all Android devices out there. 40% my have JB, but 33% still have GB. It's not just a couple of phones, it's a third of all of them.

But Apple is the only company worth comparing to. Windows phones have such as small market share and is so new that you can't really tell what their update schedule will be like. If you're looking at the two major phone ecosystems and comparing their pluses and minuses, this shows up as a gigantic plus for Apple. They blow Android out of the water. 40% may be an improvement, but it's still abysmal compared to what you can get for the same amount of money from Apple. I understand why it's like that, but from the consumer's standpoint that doesn't matter. With Android you're pretty much guaranteed not to have the latest and greatest during the life of your device. With iOS you're pretty much guaranteed that you will have the latest and greatest, even if you have your phone for more than 2 years (the 3GS is 4 years old and has iOS 6 on it). Sure there are ways around it in Android, but you have to either rely on some developer to make a ROM for you or buy a really specific phone which either doesn't have the latest hardware or costs a bunch more. It's not like with iOS where you'll just get it.

I'm as big of a fan of Android as anyone and won't give it up, but that doesn't make the numbers posted absolutely terrible compared to what they can be. I don't expect the 93% that Apple gets, but 40% for an OS that's been out for a year is ridiculous.

It's not just me, either. They consider it an issue at Google, or at least the head of Android does. It most certainly is a balancing act that's difficult to deal with, but, according to the head of Android: ?In general, we at Google would love everyone to work on one version of Android, because I think it benefits everyone better? and with there not even being a majority of devices that use the same version, it's easy to deduce that Google isn't getting what they prefer.

Google?s New Android Chief Talks Challenges Of Keeping A Platform Consistent While Being Open | TechCrunch

But what u don't understand is those outdated android phones have more capabilities than an ip5 which JUST GOT LTE come on get real. The smoothness edge is gone. The app lead is gone now too. Now u guys with your train of thought reaching for fragmentation huh lol. Well numbers don't lie. Market share don't either.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
But what u don't understand is those outdated android phones have more capabilities than an ip5 which JUST GOT LTE come on get real. The smoothness edge is gone. The app lead is gone now too. Now u guys with your train of thought reaching for fragmentation huh lol. Well numbers don't lie. Market share don't either.

None of that has anything to do with carriers and manufacturers not supporting the phones they're selling on contract. LTE is not a function of Android, it's a hardware issue. I'm not sure what you mean by "smoothness." The number of apps has little to do with what we're talking about either (though I bet if you ask a developer they'd say it's easier assuming 93% of people have the latest OS than it is having to account for 33% using the OS from two versions ago) and market share has nothing to do with it either. Apple is way, way better at supporting their product by updating software than a vast majority of Android devices. Unless you're buying a Nexus or GE Android device there's no guarantee that you'll get OS updates with Android. I have a tablet that's less than 9 months old that won't be getting anything 4.3 or newer.

You can argue other points as much as you want and while it's good news that the percent of devices that are running JB (even if it isn't the latest version of it) is going up, you can't argue that 40% is anything but terrible compared to the competition.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance