Removable battery and sd card are a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Thats the great thing about the Samsung Galaxy S4. Theres a reason it sells so much. It has something for everybody. It appeals to the average person and the tech geek. The average person is looking at all the little "features" like eye scroll while the Tech geeks are looking at the specs and flashing roms and putting huge sd cards in it.

All these other new smartphones are eliminating a certain group from purchasing them.

I just purchased the Galaxy S4 because of the SD card. And I was debating on the G2 and Maxx but they don't offer micro sd card slot it so they lost a customer.

And I cant be like the OP and have my phone charging everywhere I go with wires everywhere and always being tied down to a power outlet. Or buying external battery packs where you going to have your phone hooked up to a battery pack with a cable and you just sit there and wait for it to charge all the way... When you can easily switch out the Galaxy S4 battery in seconds and booting up takes less than a minute.

Your post, I agree with it. I don't buy a phone with a microsd card slot. I ain't going the route of the cloud yet.

Posted via Droid RAZR M on the Android Central App

Last edited:

TheTitan1530

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I agree with this post to an extent. I mean things he are saying is true you dont really need sd card or removable battery. I mean cloud storage is there for your sd card needs and soon enough most likely next year were gonna have 3000 MAH battery flagship phones which can get you through a day quiet easily even if you're a heavy user so that ruins the purpose of removable battery if your battery lasts you as long as you want. I have a note 2 and I can easily go through 3 or even 4 days with a single charge, granted I wouldnt use my phone much if I want to get such battery life but its the possibility of knowing your phone can last that long questions the point of getting another battery. Alot of note 2 owners dont have a second battery because they truly dont need one. I had a s3 previously and that phone cant last me a day at all so if you get a removable battery for it then thats understandable but by next year when nearly every phone will be 3000 mah you dont need another battery. Just my 2 cents on this topic

Posted via Android Central App

Tampa8

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Lmao the OP does not like an SD card or being able to change batteries, so what no one should be able to? When I am in the field for my job a back-up battery is a must. And for traveling, in addition having a second SD card is fantastic. And for longer flights having that second battery is great.
The SD card allows the apps I use for my job when traveling which do take up alot of room. But when at home base, I don't need many of those apps and I switch cards for other ones. I have yet in all these years had a problem using an SD card. Scam? Please, it makes no sense to those of us who really use our equipment.

vasekvi

May 5, 2013
Visit site
You're entitled to use the phone how you see fit, and to choose what phone fits your needs. If you don't care to swap batteries or have expandable storage that's up to you.

For me, I will never own a phone without a removable battery or expandable storage. And here are a few of my reasons.

- Replaceable when battery stops holding a charge. I don't sell my phones, I give them to family and replacement batteries are typically needed a year after I give the phones away.

- Removable batteries let you do a battery pull if you get your phone wet. Happens all the time to many people. Removing the battery can help save your phone.

- Upgradeable battery. Some of us don't mind the extra thickness of an extended battery for two days of battery life.

- Carry a spare. I've done this on my last few palm phones, and those took years to boot and I still did it. The S4 boots in seconds. No excuse to not wanna swap batteries. Worried about the back becoming loose? Its 1. replaceable and 2. kept in place with a case for many users anyway. And a spare battery can be charged in a standalone charger. People talk about getting a rechargeable microusb battery pack but don't want to carry a spare? Makes no sense to me. I'll forget my phone if I leave it charging somewhere and hell if I'm gonna be the person with a battery attached to it. No thanks.

- MicroSD key chain card reader - works awesome to transfer files on the fly. I'm not going to carry a cable around with me. But it's easy to pop the card out of the phone and into the usb card reader and share music, videos or whatever.

- App storage. Sorry but many of us especially on A/C need more space than 16 or 32GB internal storage. Why limit yourself? I keep most of my larger apps on the card. Speed isn't a problem. Just get a good card. Class 10 isn't enough. It has to he UHS-1

- Backup to card.

- Use your phone while transferring files. It can take a while to write 32 or 64 GB of data especially with a usb cable. Having a removable card let's you use your phone without it being attached to your computer.

Bottom line is that having a removable battery and expandable storage helps the phone be truly wireless. You don't have to plug it in if you don't want to. I hate using the phone with the usb cable attached. But that's just me.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 on AT&T

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
For me, sealed/embedded batteries are absolute deal breakers and will be at least until battery tech drastically improves. It doesn't matter to me how great battery life may be or if you can make it through a whole day (both of which are true with my Note 2), I want the option of being able to swap out a discharged battery at any time to be able to get back to a full charge within minutes. You simply can't do that with sealed/embedded batteries, instead your device is stuck tethered to a charge for the duration it takes, all the while having to deal with that cord and/or charging pack. :(

SD cards are not as important to me, but are a great option to have. While not a deal breaker, I'd prefer to have the option and not use it than to not have the option at all.

Bottom line that's what this all comes down to; options which has always been a big plus for Android devices. The more they take away these options the more they become more like Apple devices. :(

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
You're entitled to use the phone how you see fit, and to choose what phone fits your needs. If you don't care to swap batteries or have expandable storage that's up to you.

For me, I will never own a phone without a removable battery or expandable storage. And here are a few of my reasons.

- Replaceable when battery stops holding a charge. I don't sell my phones, I give them to family and replacement batteries are typically needed a year after I give the phones away.

- Removable batteries let you do a battery pull if you get your phone wet. Happens all the time to many people. Removing the battery can help save your phone.

- Upgradeable battery. Some of us don't mind the extra thickness of an extended battery for two days of battery life.

- Carry a spare. I've done this on my last few palm phones, and those took years to boot and I still did it. The S4 boots in seconds. No excuse to not wanna swap batteries. Worried about the back becoming loose? Its 1. replaceable and 2. kept in place with a case for many users anyway. And a spare battery can be charged in a standalone charger. People talk about getting a rechargeable microusb battery pack but don't want to carry a spare? Makes no sense to me. I'll forget my phone if I leave it charging somewhere and hell if I'm gonna be the person with a battery attached to it. No thanks.

- MicroSD key chain card reader - works awesome to transfer files on the fly. I'm not going to carry a cable around with me. But it's easy to pop the card out of the phone and into the usb card reader and share music, videos or whatever.

- App storage. Sorry but many of us especially on A/C need more space than 16 or 32GB internal storage. Why limit yourself? I keep most of my larger apps on the card. Speed isn't a problem. Just get a good card. Class 10 isn't enough. It has to he UHS-1

- Backup to card.

- Use your phone while transferring files. It can take a while to write 32 or 64 GB of data especially with a usb cable. Having a removable card let's you use your phone without it being attached to your computer.

Bottom line is that having a removable battery and expandable storage helps the phone be truly wireless. You don't have to plug it in if you don't want to. I hate using the phone with the usb cable attached. But that's just me.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 on AT&T

This post is spot on. I've heard the old argument just carry a charger or battery pack. But there us nothing easier and faster than replacing a battery, it's also much less of a product to carry since batteries are small.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
The topic can be argued either way. I think it is extreme for someone to call sd cards and removable batteries a joke. I also think it is a narrow view to rule out a device because it doesn't have these features.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
The topic can be argued either way. I think it is extreme for someone to call sd cards and removable batteries a joke. I also think it is a narrow view to rule out a device because it doesn't have these features.

Don't want a device that does not take a micro SD card so that is a narrow view? If android continues to go this way then I will go to another platform. I'm not going through the trouble to move to the cloud because manufacturers think internal storage is enough.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Don't want a device that does not take a micro SD card so that is a narrow view? If android continues to go this way then I will go to another platform. I'm not going through the trouble to move to the cloud because manufacturers think internal storage is enough.

Although I have signed up for a couple of cloud services I literally never use them. With 32 gigs of internal storage I have more than enough to never use the cloud. That being said, everyone's needs are different, I just mean that an individual will greatly reduce their options of a new device if they require a sd slot or removable battery. I will be the first to tell you that manufacturers should definitely be putting larger storage in their devices, 32gb should be the absolute minimum. At the same time I think it's equally as crappy for Samsung to put out a flagship device with only 9 gigs of internal space. Sure you can put a 64gb card in it, but the card can't hold content such as games,pinned music from Google Play or downloaded content. Everyone has their preferences and for me I would much rather have a 32gb internal storage with 25 usable and no removable memory vs 16gb internal with only 9 usable and a sd slot.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Although I have signed up for a couple of cloud services I literally never use them. With 32 gigs of internal storage I have more than enough to never use the cloud. That being said, everyone's needs are different, I just mean that an individual will greatly reduce their options of a new device if they require a sd slot or removable battery. I will be the first to tell you that manufacturers should definitely be putting larger storage in their devices, 32gb should be the absolute minimum. At the same time I think it's equally as crappy for Samsung to put out a flagship device with only 9 gigs of internal space. Sure you can put a 64gb card in it, but the card can't hold content such as games,pinned music from Google Play or downloaded content. Everyone has their preferences and for me I would much rather have a 32gb internal storage with 25 usable and no removable memory vs 16gb internal with only 9 usable and a sd slot.

I would take the 9 gigs with SD slot as I have only like 27 apps taking less than 600 MB of memory. I am not an app hoarder and keep content on my microsd card slot.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I would take the 9 gigs with SD slot as I have only like 27 apps taking less than 600 MB of memory. I am not an app hoarder and keep content on my microsd card slot.

I guess we have proven that each user has different needs:)

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I just have no interest on being forced to use or being dependent on "the cloud". I don't want all my data in "the cloud" (sounds like a cheap SyFy movie), yet I know and respect that there are those that embrace it. I'm glad that, for now, and with the help of Samsung, I have a choice to shun "the cloud" without missing anything I care about and while having all the storage I need.

Sent from my humble S4

tigeryee

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I like being able to change out batteries and the expandable memory. I don't think I will go back to a phone that relies so heavily on cloud storage if given a choice nowadays

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 4

nickgalaxys4

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
I like the removable back to get in the battery and SDcard. I have two battery and both are fully charged just in case one dies on the road I just pop the other one in better then bring wires everywhere you go.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I like removable storage because I have two microsd cards and both a have all my content and I switch between them periodically. I was heavily considering getting the DROID MAXX but that non removable storage , made me pause and now I am considering the RAZR Maxx HD instead. Battery life and removable storage would be awesome. The screen would be a step up from my phone and the resolution is the same. The screen size is bigger on the newer one but 4.7 is fine.

mysticmeg

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
What's the point in such a powerful phone is your storage memory is all filled up? Yeah you mention the use of cloud storage but many people aren't lucky as me as I have truly unlimited internet here in the UK and I don't know any US consumers with a unlimitee data plans...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

asanatheist

Jun 22, 2013
Visit site
SD card is a tricky situation. I have to agree with you on your point about wav file you need. It just bugs me that some oems can get away selling 16gb models at 32gb models just because it has an SD card. Save them cost of putting more expensive internal memories yet charge a premium. But i have to admit it is brilliant marketing.

Sent from my HTC One

The SD card controller, and cage likely costs more than adding the 16GB Flash.
SD Cards save people money.
For example a 64GB HTC One price difference between the 32GB is $100-$200 depending on your country/carrier.
For $50 I get 64GB UHS 1 SD card that can serve as phone memory or just extra storage for my computers, with that 64GB card I turn my phone storage to a whopping 80GB. Plus app2sd helps use it as if it was internal storage.

Not the mention the SD card has other uses.

Joe Barry

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
For tv series and HD movies I'd like to watch on my phone on long trips, there is the most under-appreciated feature on android phones(except nexus) people forget, USB OTG. Put all your HD movies in flash drives and plug it in when you want to start watching. It is whole lot easier than swapping a external sd card.
I disagree with most of your post, but I wanted to know what you mean by the above statement except for Nexus....what does that mean??

I wanted a S3 when it came out but passed & passed on it only because VZW only carried the 16GB model, too small for internal memory these days. Fast forward the S4 comes out and did the same thing, I passed on it too; then they suddenly offered pre-orders for an S4 with 32GB Bingo! I jumped on it. The problem is they offer memory on the low end side and want us to use the cloud which means more data usage $$$ for them; no thanks, don't use it. I shouldn't have to connect to a cloud for my stuff and what about when you are in airplane mode? So the things that attracted me to the S4 32GB was all of it's features AND the fact has a removable Battery, to which I bought the battery and combo charger from Samsung for half price as a reward for registering the phone with them, can't beat that price anywhere for the Genuine article AND I can very easily charge an extra battery outside of the phone itself.

The S4 allows you to move apps to the SD card and I have a extreme card and have no speed issues with it. For me this right now is the perfect phone because of the 32GB, Removable battery, SD card and chock full of the features I liked. I otherwise would not have purchased it if it didn't come with a removable battery or SD card. The only thing I was hoping for was 64GB internal and I know VZW is opposed to it, heck I would have purchased an S4 128GB if they made one, I don't mind the price so much, after all it's a one time charge unlike a monthly service bill, so you get over it real quick. The thing I like is Samsung has given us a choice and that is very important unlike Apple that doesn't. No I'm not knocking Apple plenty of my friends have them, and they all know, ALL Apple would need to do for their tablet for example that comes with a whooping 128GB internal would be to add a SD card and removable battery and I'd buy one in a New York minute as they say; that is how important I feel about it. I'm not going to have a $900 device?? and in a year or two the battery doesn't hold-up I have to mail it back to them and get a REFURB in exchange for it? NOT going to happen in this universe for me or should I say to me.

I love all I have been able to do with Android and I only hope Samsung and the Android Market place in general continues down this path, I like an open eco system.

I'm a hardware guy by nature and while I helped other out with their Apple & Andriod phones/tablets at work I never put down my own money for one because I didn't care mostly for the hardware it terms of removable options and thus the S4 became my first smartphone, that is how strongly I feel on the subject.

As they say I VOTED with my Wallet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2