Removable battery and sd card are a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

z33dev33l

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
SD cards aren't worth much on Android. On Windows Phone though, I have 160 gigs and I can install anything I want to said SD card. I hate Android's SD stigma.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
SD cards aren't worth much on Android. On Windows Phone though, I have 160 gigs and I can install anything I want to said SD card. I hate Android's SD stigma.

You can move media and all to SD cards on Android, some phones even allow APP2SD functionality but besides apps, everything else can go on the SD card like any other OS.

Posted via the Android Central App

Dave Sarver

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
This is a personal usage issue; it depends on how you use your phone or tablet. I personally don't have any issues with either replaceable batteries or the usage of SD cards; I use both. I have four batteries for my phone and an external charger. Each battery is numbered and I cycle through them every day. I grab a freshly charged battery and pop it in my phone and grab a extra incase I need it during the day. It is just way simpler for me than being physically tied to a power pack or charger. Batteries are smaller, lighter and have no cord. Been doing this for years and it works just fine for me. I will not consider buying a phone/table whatever if does not allow me to swap the battery.

As for SD cards, I use them to separate my personal data from work data. And my work data is organized by project and there is usually a SD card per project. I have a nylon carrier for my SD cards, with multiple pages of slots for SD cards. I also have my music and videos arranged by genre on SD cards. So, if I'm in the mood for something classical, I just pop in the SD marked Classical Music. I have a huge music and video collection and there is no way I'm going to store them on my phone. (They are pushing the limits of my media server at home). SD cards allow me flexibility.

There is no wrong or right answer. It just depends on how you use your device.

beto_nl

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
This thread is a total waste of forum space....specially the first post.

I understand when chinese phone manufacturers bring up phones without removable batteries and no sd card slot, cause they want to keep prices as low as possible and production costs are lower like this .
But Apple mainly started with this crap ( a phone without removable battery nor sd card support) for, among other reasons, increase profits on the top of their already abusive prices.

Is just a shame many other companies followed this trend.

Today I am a proud owner of a high-end phone with 2k screen, great sound, very high specs and with a sd card slot and removable battery with fast charge technology - the Oppo Find 7 AND with a much lower price than the Samsungs - HtCs and more , out there...

I keep my music library and 4 k videos and offline gps maps comfortably stored on my 128 GB ext sd card...I travel a lot so I don't feel like swapping maps and I like to have a huge selection of music and I film a lot during my trips ......
I also like to have an extra battery for just in case, and that works much better for me than carrying those power banks

I could buy the very good and cheap Oneplus one, but yet again, a phone witho sd card slot and without removable/replaceable battery, is not for me

AndroidPhene

Sep 3, 2014
Visit site
I think the OP has a valid point. In the end we all own Android phones for a reason. That reason is options! We like to tinker and make it our own. As an IT professional I can see a huge benefit to having a microSD card because essentially my device just became a thumb drive too :)

Joko Revera

Jan 20, 2015
Visit site
FOR ME REMOVABLE BAT. & SD CARDS IS AND ALWAYS BE USEFUL . bec when time comes u need to change
used up old bat. some smartphone not easy to change and some smartphone bat. are not easy to find. maybe in your country but other country you have to search for it just to get the right bat. :)

kirksucks

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Since the death of unlimited data (Verizon) I can't afford to stream from the cloud. I had a Droid turbo for a week and my data usage doubled because of no SD card.

stackberry369

Nov 11, 2013
Visit site
I know i will get a lot of negative reactions to this topic, but the thing is, I see removable batteries and sd cards as a big scam. In particular by Samsung. They are the only ones releasing flagships with removable batteries and external memory cards in this year's line-up. Nokia, HTC, Nexus Series, Blackberry, Sony, Apple and other big names don't bother with removable batteries with their flagship phones anymore.

Heres the thing with batteries:
Flagships today dont last a day on heavy usage, its natural to have the ability to switch batteries right? I don't think so. I had that mentality last year that's why I got the GS3. I never changed the battery on it on a year's use. There is just no chance for me to change batteries. When I go to work, I bring along my charger, when I am using it at home, I can always plug it in when it is about to run dry. When I go out and I know I won't expect to find a plug, I bring a powerbank. Powerbanks offers more convenience than bringing a spare battery. #1. It is easy to charge up the device by just plugging it. Changing batteries is a bit of a problem, most of us have protective casing to remove first, plus removing the back side of the Galaxy S series isn't pretty. The back is made of plastic, everytime I open it, I feel like the tiny bits of plastics on the sides of the back that hold it to the device are going to break. I want to avoid taking the plastic back off and on to prevent it from breaking. And most of all, I hate turning the device on and off just to change batteries. There are times when I am in the middle of a video conference and turning the phone on and off just to swap batteries is being a bit more of a nuisance. #2. Unless you bought a separate charging unit for your extra battery you'd wind up doing the whole process of changing batteries on your phone just to charge your extra battery. So how does removable batteries become an integral part in people's choice for their next smartphone? The only benefit of having a removable battery is you can change it personally when it starts to age. The most annoying part of the whole removable battery fiasco is that Samsung charges a hefty price for the Galaxy S line of battery because they said it has NFC in it. Why did you put NFC on the battery Samsung???? I dont get this part at all.

Removable SD Cards is a more tricky situation, people want SD Cards because it is an assurance of seemingly unlimited storage. But for me, I began to see it as something which can be omitted. Removable SD cards have been problematic for me with my GS3, normally you can only put media files on it and apps would go on the phones memory. Like all average consumers I thought its an awesome deal to get a 16gb model and upgrade it with a 32gb sd card. I discovered that SD cards write too slow making transferring large media files a bit too long, it is sometimes unreliable calling out a need to reformat it. These are just small details I can live with. My biggest problem is battery drain. Try to google media server battery drain problems. It is still unresolved (correct me if I am wrong) and it points to the external memory card as a culprit as the device constantly scan the SD Card. It takes 20-40% of some people's battery drain per day. Some suggest that removing media on the card solves the problem. But the thing is, if you can't put media then what's the point of having a sd card? You can't normally put apps in the card.

Unibody designs without removable sd cards and battery doesn't seem so bad considering these points. Without removable batteries, phones can be constructed with more focus on designs that can be seen in the Iphone series, xperia series, One series and Lumia Series which make the Galaxy series look like a toy. As for extended memories, 32 GB is the sweet spot. You get all the apps and media in a single storage. For tv series and HD movies I'd like to watch on my phone on long trips, there is the most under-appreciated feature on android phones(except nexus) people forget, USB OTG. Put all your HD movies in flash drives and plug it in when you want to start watching. It is whole lot easier than swapping a external sd card.

This thread is a joke

EPGames

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
About SD cards: Google is heavily encouraging (I am not sure if it may be even mandatory) not giving the option to use SD cards in phones with the lastest versions of Android. It is better for the user: just put 32 or 64 GB and don't make the user deal with two different memories in the phone. It is simpler and easier for the user.

About the removable battery: I agree with you that it is overestimated, but the problem is not the day-to-day work, but when the phone has 1 year and a half and the battery lasts the half as it used to last. Anyways I can live without a removable battery, and I don't want SD card on my phone.

azndud3

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
[Removed by Moderator] Its bc of ppl like u that samsung are not adding the option of having micro sd storage or removable battery on the galaxy s6. Well samsung ive been with u since the s3 , s4 , s5. Not getting the s6 because u forgot about the market that do carry around spare batteries and do have lug around plenty of 32GB micro sd cards to keep entertained on the go.
charging with a powerbank takes time and also damages the charging connector.

Last edited by a moderator:

adegbenroagoro

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I have 160 gigabytes total in my note 4. Samsung may talk about the aesthetics of a non-removable battery and no micro sd card slot but I suspect the almighty dollar is a big factor. Just to buy the 128 GB S6 one would pay approximately 1500 dollars whereas a 32 GB S6 plus 128 gb card would cost less than 820 dollars. Samsung have promised lots of cloud storage but WHO ALWAYS HAS READY ACCESS TO THE CLOUD??? If Samsung mess like this with the Note 5, I'll buy the LG G5 instead.

Adegbenro Agoro. Galaxy Note 4.

Mahdi Schindelheim

May 15, 2015
Visit site
Your obviously not a "road warrior" you HAVE to have a removable battery and have an external power source

And a removeble large memory card to have music and movies ....streaminmg movies isnt going to happen in the air ...and you can take the same memory card out and use it on your android tablet for longer plane rides

for people that just commute to work and sit in a cube your right ...but not road warriors like me ....two sides to EVERY story

syspry

Banned
Apr 6, 2015
Visit site
Your obviously not a "road warrior" you HAVE to have a removable battery and have an external power source

And a removeble large memory card to have music and movies ....streaminmg movies isnt going to happen in the air ...and you can take the same memory card out and use it on your android tablet for longer plane rides

for people that just commute to work and sit in a cube your right ...but not road warriors like me ....two sides to EVERY story
So you're a road warrior with no car charger and a tiny data plan? Are you sure you didn't mean to say "public transportation warrior"?

Tsepz_GP

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
So you're a road warrior with no car charger and a tiny data plan? Are you sure you didn't mean to say "public transportation warrior"?

Majority of the world are on tiny data plans that are overpriced, but its not just that, network speed is a huge factor and if you travel a lot you will know:

1. Not every place has stable HSPA+ coverage, let alone LTE coverage
2. Not every place has WiFi
3. In most countries data is expensive, so cloud storage makes no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2