GOOGLE testified this week that users having GMAIL accounts should NOT have any expectation of privacy. GOOGLE went farther saying that they will give emails to "third parties". Notice, GOOGLE did not say advertisers, vendors, business partners, but rather third parties. I would ask our illustrious site admins to use their massive powers./ resources to dig into this and report on this. So .......... what about the other freebie offerings in Android (players, GOOGLE+, etc.) and by GOOGLE ..... anything offered by GOOGLE. Is GOOGLE just an arm of the government? Yes, yes we don't need the lectures regarding privacy statements/policies or about the other companies. And, yes, GOOGLE sent out statements to users related to changes in policy. So? Those with intrusive policies bank on people never reading those long statements of legalese. And people are concerned about the NSA?
    08-14-2013 12:01 PM
    You should read the Terms of Service. I admit, I have not. It wouldn't shock me to read in there that you are never guaranteed any express privacy. Really, the way Google Now works in conjunction with GMail for tracking of packages and flight details we shouldn't have an expectation.
    If you're getting a service for $0, you're paying somehow.
    08-14-2013 12:10 PM
    And here we go... Pitchfork and fire torches out, huh?
    MERCDROID likes this.
    08-14-2013 12:11 PM
    I thought this was uncovered long ago?
    MERCDROID likes this.
    08-14-2013 12:14 PM
    Google didn't say you have no right to privacy, they said that the contents of emails sent through Gmail would be indexed and machine-searchable.
    No-one is sitting in Mountain View reading your emails.
    MERCDROID likes this.
    08-14-2013 12:35 PM
    08-14-2013 12:42 PM
    If you're getting a service for $0, you're paying somehow.
    Point missed = fail
    08-14-2013 01:59 PM
    As stated in OP ......... FtF testimony this week.
    08-14-2013 02:01 PM
    Google didn't say you have no right to privacy, they said that the contents of emails sent through Gmail would be indexed and machine-searchable.
    Baseless reply.
    08-14-2013 02:03 PM
    Baseless reply.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Huh?
    08-14-2013 04:46 PM
    As stated in OP ......... FtF testimony this week.
    Please read the article I posted that explains that some of these blogs have made a story by misconstruing quotes.

It's fine to be concerned about privacy but these new articles misquoting Google in a lawsuit offer nothing more than trying to sensationalize.

It's been known and has been in their terms of service that they use email for targeted marketing. Nothing new has been brought to light by these new articles or this lawsuit.

Posted via Android Central App
    MERCDROID likes this.
    08-14-2013 09:40 PM
    It wouldn't shock me to read in there that you are never guaranteed any express privacy
    08-14-2013 10:22 PM
    Apparently they are doing that at the NSA in Washington D.C.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    08-14-2013 10:34 PM
    shame. but not a shocker. I wish there was more transparency about this. And maybe a "pay $__ per month for total privacy"
    08-14-2013 11:30 PM
    It was. I'm not sure when, but awhile ago (maybe last summer?) Google revised it's Privacy Policy to make it more clear what people were signing up for.

It's hilarious, if you ask me. If you've ever connected to the internet, then you've forgone a certain level of privacy. Period. For the people (cough.. cough.. DennisOS2..) making a big deal out of this, I challenge you to get rid of all of your internet devices and see how much more secure you actually feel.
    08-15-2013 12:38 AM