Conflicted between between phones to get, help?

CarlosQ

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Alright, currently I want either of four. S4, Note 2 ( Or should I wait for the note 3? If so when does it come out?), Moto X, and lastly the Droid Ultra. If anyone could help me that would be greatly appreciated.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Alright, currently I want either of four. S4, Note 2 ( Or should I wait for the note 3? If so when does it come out?), Moto X, and lastly the Droid Ultra. If anyone could help me that would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forums!
If I were in your position, I think I would first check out the Moto. I have nothing against Samsungs (Click on my profile) but the Moto is intriguing enough. Also LG has a new phone called the G2, that is worth looking at.
Question: Why not the HTC One?

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
It seems to me like the advantage of the new Motorola phones is power management. They supposedly last longer on a battery charge with more background stuff going on (e.g. always listening voice activation). Presumably that means that location services will eat up less battery as well, but I'm not sure if that's been tested or not.

If that doesn't matter to you then the Galaxy S4 and HTC One have better all around specs.

The Note phones and the G2 are physically larger than any of those phones so that's probably the first decision you'll have to make. Just how big or small do you want your phone to be?

CarlosQ

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm having trouble with the reply to each person button so I'll just post it here. Sorry, kinda new. ^^; And thanks for the welcome!
I am still curious on all phones, I looked around and was told that the Moto X isn't as good as it should be for the price, why is that?
I haven't given much thought about the HTC One because I knew little of it and for a while I thought it was an ATT phone only, guess I was wrong,so I'll look into it right away!
As for phone size it doesn't matter much to be. I do enjoy a good battery length though. The note 2 had me with the stylis but I don't see much use out o fit, plus the newer phoens do give off a better promise as to both entertainment and all around use wise.

Additionally I'm looking at either Verizon or Sprint.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I am still curious on all phones, I looked around and was told that the Moto X isn't as good as it should be for the price, why is that?
If you look at some certain specs (CPU computing power, screen resolution) you'll find that the Moto X isn't as good as other phones at the same price. However, it does have a bunch of hardware features that allow you to have a lot more features running when the phone is idle (always on voice recognition, always on "activity" recognition, active notifications, etc) so you'll get these features along with a better battery life. IMO, the phone is priced just fine for the hardware it has, they just made some unconventional, but IMO very good, design trade offs that aren't normally made in high end phones. My guess is you'll see some of the features from the X pop up in more phones in the future. Chances are unless you use your phone in some specific way you won't really notice the difference in CPU power or screen resolution, anyway.

IMO, the biggest downside to the Moto X is the lack of storage, though that will be a current issue with the One if you aren't on AT&T as well. The S4 has a micro SD card slot so you can add up to 64GB of additional storage for music and movies.

I personally don't understand the Droid Ultra. It seems a lot like the Moto X but with a slightly larger, but same resolution, screen and more carrier software added. I'd just assume get the X, but they're so close it probably doesn't matter.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
I say buy them all! Both Notes included!

This.

In reality, though, I'd recommend the Moto X. A friend of mine has been looking to get a new phone, and was sold on either the S4 or One. After looking through what the Moto X offers, he concluded the consumer-focused benefits to the experience (battery life, contextual awareness, touchless control) were significantly more appealing than the large screen and array of TouchWiz features of the S4. Here's what I'd suggest: go read the AC reviews for these phones, and then go use the ones you find most attractive in person. I wouldn't count on being able to effectively try out touchless control or the contextual awareness capabilities of the Moto X in a retail environment, however.

Take a few minutes to experiment with the software, as well. The S4's TouchWiz experience and the close-to-AOSP experience of the Moto X are very different. While you can always use a different launcher (homescreen and app drawer replacement) or even look into rooting the device and flashing a custom ROM, the software is important to acknowledge before picking one for sure.

Google_Superuser

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
I would go MotoX unless you plan to root and rom the GS4 or Note2. (you can't get the S4GPE for Verizon/Sprint otherwise I'd suggest that). I can't stand touchwiz and Samsungs software.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Each users needs and wants are different. All of the devices you have mentioned are great, they are however all very different. I would think your first step is getting some hands on time with each device even if it's a dummy display, that way you can get a feel of each form factor. The size difference between the Note 2 and the Moto X is staggering. If you are big on music and like a larger internal storage then the HTC ONE is for you. If you like a large display and the ability to use the S Pen then the Note 2 is for you. (Although at this point I would wait for the Note 3) If you are interested in a more compact device that still gives you a nice size display and offers the new voice control abilities then you would like the Moto X. If you like a large display without going huge and would like expandable memory and a removable battery you would enjoy the S4. The Note 2 and Note 3 will also have a removable battery and expandable memory. You can't go wrong with any of them though.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site

Have you handled each of them in a store? Have you read all reviews for each? I would figure out your priorities based on usage. The note is soooo dif than the X.

If you spend time watching movies and like playing games on a big screen, wait til the note 3.
If you mainly communicate, use lifestyle apps and want a form fitting pocket fitting smooth phone, have a 'want to charge less often' lifestyle, go with X ($140 with discount on vzn)
Droid ultra is the same as the X with a slightly bigger screen, but less form fitting body
S4 is, well, the S4. lol. Lotta hardware and good screen size. If you have a young child or do something that you need a camera, go for this one over either 2 motorola.

Those are all very different machines.

CarlosQ

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Have you handled each of them in a store? Have you read all reviews for each? I would figure out your priorities based on usage. The note is soooo dif than the X.

If you spend time watching movies and like playing games on a big screen, wait til the note 3.
If you mainly communicate, use lifestyle apps and want a form fitting pocket fitting smooth phone, have a 'want to charge less often' lifestyle, go with X ($140 with discount on vzn)
Droid ultra is the same as the X with a slightly bigger screen, but less form fitting body
S4 is, well, the S4. lol. Lotta hardware and good screen size. If you have a young child or do something that you need a camera, go for this one over either 2 motorola.

Those are all very different machines.

Ah yeah, I know they are different in many ways but now that I see the uses it''s probably going to be down to the S4 or Moto X. Only issue I see is the Moto X big thing is the voice thing, and I have an accent which makes certain sounds such as "er" a issue. But that can be easily avoided. As well as teh S4 has lots of features but it's all for show and fun. So what is left down is the hardware specs. Decisions decisions.

Jron954

May 8, 2013
Visit site

It ALL depends what you want/looking for in a phone

Posted via Android Central App

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar