Moto x or HTC ONE?

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
So, I'm going to use my brother at next program upgrade on Oct 3rd and I really need to decide if I'm going to go with a moto x or a carrier HTC ONE with sense 5. (Or I need to decide if I should just save up for a Google edition HTC ONE)

I really am hesitant of the HTC ONE on art because I'm not sure how I'm going to like sense 5 compared to the Moto X's almost stock android. I currently own a nexus 4 and Nexus 7 and I like stock android a lot. I know I can use a launcher like nova, but is that really going to be the same?

Also, from what I've used at the art store, I really likes how the moto x felt and performed. It was snappy and felt very good in the hand. And again, it was basically stock android.

However, since I am going to be paying the same 27dollars a month with next for the HTC ONE as I would be with the moto x, wouldn't the HTC ONE be a better value for my money with its better screen and better internals?

The other side of this coin is the question of whether I should just save up and get the Google edition of the HTC ONE, potentially getting the best of both worlds.

But the thing is, I don't have 600 dollars and I can't afford to spend 600 dollars upfront. However, I can afford monthly payments of 27 dollars.

So, that's where I'm at. I'm afraid of making a purchasing decision, so I would love for your guys thoughts and feedback and advice.

Thanks everyone.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
for the HTC ONE as I would be with the moto x, wouldn't the HTC ONE be a better value for my money with its better screen and better internals?

The screen is absolutely brilliant on the HTC One, but I'm not sure what you mean with better internals. Same RAM amount, both processors are clocked at 1.7GHz, but the Moto isn't losing speed to redundant cores and that, combined with a faster R/W and slimmer software package are giving it faster performance throughout the UI, animations, opening apps, processing web pages, cache, etc. The One does come in 32GB, which is only available through Moto Maker (not sure how that works with the device payment plan). That and camera's. HTC One has very mixed reviews on it's camera, either love it or hate it. The Moto X has "meh" reviews pretty much across the board. It's not good, it's not bad, it's just a camera.

HTC One vs Moto X - YouTube

The other side of this coin is the question of whether I should just save up and get the Google edition of the HTC ONE, potentially getting the best of both worlds.

If you're on AT&T anyways, there is no reason you couldn't convert a Sense HTC into a GPe if you really wanted to (it's not any more difficult than ROMing really). I like this better than buying from the play store, because I've not yet received confirmation if you can flip that scenario the other way. I'd assume yes, but assuming is dangerous for a $600 bet.

I really am hesitant of the HTC ONE on art because I'm not sure how I'm going to like sense 5 compared to the Moto X's almost stock android. I currently own a nexus 4 and Nexus 7 and I like stock android a lot. I know I can use a launcher like nova, but is that really going to be the same?

Based on this statement and the gravitation towards modifying an HTC One to behave like stock I'd say you're 2nd best bet would be the Moto X, and 3rd best bet would be the HTC One (either edition).

Based on the October 3rd consideration (my birthday and your upgrade day, we'll party like it's 1495), I'd say it might be worth it to get some Nexus 5 rumors. If it has LTE, it might be getting you some different hardware considerations while keeping you in the actual stock lineage, and possibly with a solution that's more budget friendly.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
The screen is absolutely brilliant on the HTC One, but I'm not sure what you mean with better internals. Same RAM amount, both processors are clocked at 1.7GHz, but the Moto isn't losing speed to redundant cores and that, combined with a faster R/W and slimmer software package are giving it faster performance throughout the UI, animations, opening apps, processing web pages, cache, etc. The One does come in 32GB, which is only available through Moto Maker (not sure how that works with the device payment plan). That and camera's. HTC One has very mixed reviews on it's camera, either love it or hate it. The Moto X has "meh" reviews pretty much across the board. It's not good, it's not bad, it's just a camera.

HTC One vs Moto X - YouTube

If you're on AT&T anyways, there is no reason you couldn't convert a Sense HTC into a GPe if you really wanted to (it's not any more difficult than ROMing really). I like this better than buying from the play store, because I've not yet received confirmation if you can flip that scenario the other way. I'd assume yes, but assuming is dangerous for a $600 bet.

Based on this statement and the gravitation towards modifying an HTC One to behave like stock I'd say you're 2nd best bet would be the Moto X, and 3rd best bet would be the HTC One (either edition).

Based on the October 3rd consideration (my birthday and your upgrade day, we'll party like it's 1495), I'd say it might be worth it to get some Nexus 5 rumors. If it has LTE, it might be getting you some different hardware considerations while keeping you in the actual stock lineage, and possibly with a solution that's more budget friendly.

Yeah, Nexus 5 was another consideration.

I wasn't sure how the motor x is going to hold up after a year ND a half or two after use. I feel a bit more at ease with the HTC ONE in that regard.

As far as putting stock room on the HTC ONE, I don't think I'm Interested in that simply because I'm nervous doing it. And kinda don't want to deal with it.

Maybe I'll be happy with sense 5, don't know. But It seems like a gamble since if I don't like it, I'm not sure if I can even return or exchange it

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, Nexus 5 was another consideration.

I wasn't sure how the motor x is going to hold up after a year ND a half or two after use. I feel a bit more at ease with the HTC ONE in that regard.

As far as putting stock room on the HTC ONE, I don't think I'm Interested in that simply because I'm nervous doing it. And kinda don't want to deal with it.

Maybe I'll be happy with sense 5, don't know. But It seems like a gamble since if I don't like it, I'm not sure if I can even return or exchange it

Sense 5 has some rave reviews, but those seem to be relative to other OEM skins, not relative to stock. Zoe's seems really cool to play with and HTC has a very consistent aesthetic to Sense 5 that flows really well throughout menus, the app drawer, etc. I personally question the button positioning on it, but you might not :)

As far as software or hardware obsolescence goes, I don't believe you have anything to fear from either device. Which one is updated longer is anyone's guess, but both companies have something to prove with these devices.

I'm very curious where you end up on this one, because, in my opinion, you're moving from one of the top 3 devices (X, One and Nexus) on the market to one of the other two, which is somewhat fascinating to compare. I like it, well done :)

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Sense 5 has some rave reviews, but those seem to be relative to other OEM skins, not relative to stock. Zoe's seems really cool to play with and HTC has a very consistent aesthetic to Sense 5 that flows really well throughout menus, the app drawer, etc. I personally question the button positioning on it, but you might not :)

As far as software or hardware obsolescence goes, I don't believe you have anything to fear from either device. Which one is updated longer is anyone's guess, but both companies have something to prove with these devices.

I'm very curious where you end up on this one, because, in my opinion, you're moving from one of the top 3 devices (X, One and Nexus) on the market to one of the other two, which is somewhat fascinating to compare. I like it, well done :)

I'm kinda wanting to give the HTC ONE ago to see how I like sense 5 and the phone itself, but am worried if I don't like it I would not be able to do a exchange because it's on the next plan and I'm doing payments.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

I'm kinda wanting to give the HTC ONE ago to see how I like sense 5 and the phone itself, but am worried if I don't like it I would not be able to do a exchange because it's on the next plan and I'm doing payments.

I'd assume your 14 days still applies, but that's a good question for customer service. Again, I don't want to assume a $600 mistake.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
By that you mean assume a 600 dollar mistake if I don't like the phone or the UI or if I start flashing and roaming it?

No, I mean if you pick it because of a data point that isn't confirmed. I don't want to tell you that you DO have 14 days as a trade back period if that's not true, if you're basing any part of your decision on the ability to "test drive" one of th choices. That's my recommendation for you or someone here to confirm that information with AT&T.

Basically just calling out the differences between any factual arguments, my assumptions and my opinions.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
No, I mean if you pick it because of a data point that isn't confirmed. I don't want to tell you that you DO have 14 days as a trade back period if that's not true, if you're basing any part of your decision on the ability to "test drive" one of th choices. That's my recommendation for you or someone here to confirm that information with AT&T.

Basically just calling out the differences between any factual arguments, my assumptions and my opinions.
Yes, I'll call them up. Thanks :)

I'm more concern with HTC updating thw android versions than anything else. I'm sure I'd get used to Sense, but that not knowing if HTC is going to update in a acceptable time frame could be a deal-breaker, no? Or does Google do most updates via play service app now?

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes, I'll call them up. Thanks :)

I'm more concern with HTC updating thw android versions than anything else. I'm sure I'd get used to Sense, but that not knowing if HTC is going to update in a acceptable time frame could be a deal-breaker, no? Or does Google do most updates via play service app now?

That's the trend, (and THE most exciting trend in mobile right now, IMO) but the actual impact on devices this year and next is all speculation. Many are hedging there bets with the assumption that Moto being closer to stock is easier to update, but that doesn't take into account the pressure they put on their teams to put updates out, nor the carrier influence. For me, when I was considering these two devices (I bought the Moto X, to clear up bias control), I thought that they'd be fairly even in that regard, but I have no way of knowing for sure.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
In a few days I'll have the moto x, my friend nexusisnecessary is buying the One soonish, msnderstood bought the Note 2, Tom and Chetan have the Nexus 4... between us we'll soon have all of the best devices to chatter about :) In my opinion, if you pick any of those, you can't go wrong.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
That's the trend, (and THE most exciting trend in mobile right now, IMO) but the actual impact on devices this year and next is all speculation. Many are hedging there bets with the assumption that Moto being closer to stock is easier to update, but that doesn't take into account the pressure they put on their teams to put updates out, nor the carrier influence. For me, when I was considering these two devices (I bought the Moto X, to clear up bias control), I thought that they'd be fairly even in that regard, but I have no way of knowing for sure.

Out of curiosity, what pushed you towards the moto x compared to something else? And did you get it subsidized or full price off contract?

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Like, if I had to make bulletin points for either phone of what I find compelling about them, it would look like this:

Moto X:

1. Stock(ish) android
2. Ergonomics in the hand.
3. Supposedly better battery life.
4. Perhaps better chance of receiving timely updates, but that's just as much a crap shoot as it is with other OEM phones.
5. Notification peak could be something I like, but could see myself being over it after a week or two.
HTC ONE:

1. 1080P SCREEN
2 . More updated internals
3. Better camera (though I'm not a huge picture taker)
4. Better speakers. (though I can't imagine using the boomsound speakers a lot . I always just use earbuds)

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Out of curiosity, what pushed you towards the moto x compared to something else? And did you get it subsidized or full price off contract?

I ended up going subsidized, 139.99 with 30% off discount code @ Verizon. For me it's somewhat just to support what I'm seeing in Google/Moto's philosophy coming out with this device and a value consideration of the features versus specs versus performance.

It's partially forcing myself to walk the walk in moving from a paradigm of specs:performance to performance>specs like they are, but I'm also very impressed with the battery life I'm seeing in early adopters and reviewers, as well as seeing it consistently out perform "stronger" devices.

When I put the things I consider important, absence of lag, fluidity, efficiency, the stock look and feel, the tiny device with a large screen, it screams of subtlety.

Add in the features that aren't available (in duplicate, but somewhat in replica they are) on any other OEM's devices (touchless control, active notifications, etc) and this thing was singing to me, if you know what I mean.

That, and the Nexus line isn't available on my carrier anymore. Coming from a GNex, this is as close as I can get.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I ended up going subsidized, 139.99 with 30% off discount code @ Verizon. For me it's somewhat just to support what I'm seeing in Google/Moto's philosophy coming out with this device and a value consideration of the features versus specs versus performance.

It's partially forcing myself to walk the walk in moving from a paradigm of specs:performance to performance>specs like they are, but I'm also very impressed with the battery life I'm seeing in early adopters and reviewers, as well as seeing it consistently out perform "stronger" devices.

When I put the things I consider important, absence of lag, fluidity, efficiency, the stock look and feel, the tiny device with a large screen, it screams of subtlety.

Add in the features that aren't available (in duplicate, but somewhat in replica they are) on any other OEM's devices (touchless control, active notifications, etc) and this thing was singing to me, if you know what I mean.

That, and the Nexus line isn't available on my carrier anymore. Coming from a GNex, this is as close as I can get.

If I had to list what's important to me in a phone, it would be fluidity, lack of lag, battery life, as close to stock android as I can get, and I want to feel like the phone has the ability to continue to handle what I throw at it over my two years or so of using it while also preserving that performance, fluidity, and lack of lag.

tippmann15

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Reading these Informative threads really make me miss my note 2... All the hardware differences, the Battery comparisons, the screen size, the features.... Wtb : Time machine to stop myself from selling my note 2!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk!

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Maybe its pointless stressing about this at this moment since I'm not going to be getting anything until Oct. 3rd. But its probably wish to start thinking about it.

I'm probably just going to spend like a hour at the ATR store today just using both the moto x and HTC one. And get a Feel for each and see which I like better. But isn't a lot of deciding if you like a phone is you have to use it at least for a week or two?