Does anybody actually LIKE their phone? :-)

wjwwjw

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm asking this kind of tongue in cheek. I came here ( great site by the way) to get opinions and reviews on three phones I'm looking at, the S4, the One, and the G2 because my work gets a smokin deal on Telus but the selection is a little limited on the Corporate plan.

Anyway I've come to realize that looking for phone issues and history of problems here is kind of like going moving to a new village (in my case from the iOS vilage to the Android village) and going to a doctors office in the new village to ask "How's the quality of life here and what kind of house should I buy?" In other words you don't go to the doctors because you feel well or the contractor because your windows and roof are great. This person has a sore back, that guys window broke for no reason, and her furnace turns on when its not supposed to. My brain is starting to hurt because all I seem to read are things about speakers popping and batteries dying and displays lagging and app galleries freezing because you didn't put in the proper microSD card. That's why there are Bug threads.

I guess what I'm asking is what are the odds of having a fully functional no problems smartphone that will last for three years (the length of our Corporate plan)?
50%?
90%?

Jim

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
The truth of the matter is the defect rate is about the same for all smart phones including iphones. As you said people are a lot more likely to complain than to brag on their device. All of the devices you listed are great in their own right and should last you 3 years easily. Will they be top of the line in 3 years? Absolutely not, but will they be able to handle your everyday needs and tasks? Yes.

r3g

Nov 1, 2010
Visit site
The truth of the matter is the defect rate is about the same for all smart phones including iphones. As you said people are a lot more likely to complain than to brag on their device. All of the devices you listed are great in their own right and should last you 3 years easily. Will they be top of the line in 3 years? Absolutely not, but will they be able to handle your everyday needs and tasks? Yes.

This. I've had 6 android phones to date and every single one of them had SOMETHING funky going on whether it was a big issue or a tiny imperfection. I'm pretty much to the point where I dont expect a device to be flawless and if I do find a flaw either I can live with it or I cant. Sucks but it is what it is.

wjwwjw

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for all responses so far. The reason why I'm asking is because I'm trying to convince the wife to lose the house phone and turn the newly acquired smartphone into a combination house-office-cell and tether for our Apple based stuff that we somehow seemed to gather over the last few years. House phone pooched? Easy, go to anywhere with an electronics dept and spend $40. Mega smart super phone? Anything from direct over the counter replacement to sent it away for a month...

Now I have to look into insurance. I was reminded of this after a friends 16 yr old daughter dropped her Apple 4S into her Cheerios...

View attachment 79965

Last edited:

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
This has nothing to do with the choices you provided but I have the Note 2 and have not had a minute of trouble from this device. I think it probably has the least amount of complaints of any phone I know. And... the Note 3 will be available shortly. Good luck on your search!

Sent via Note II

thatotherdude24

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Chances are the hardware in the phones comes from the same factories oversees, they're just all slapped with different logos on them. With that said I wouldn't say any of those phones are more likely to suffer from hardware failure than the other. I work with computers for a living and I always tell clients when you buy a computer brand you're buying the customer service and design. None of those phones have been out for 3 years so it's hard to say which design holds up better, but I much prefer metal over plastic.

Go to a local phone store and play with them all, even if you have no intentions of buying, just play. Whichever you like better is the best to get. The another poster said...by the time 3 years comes your phone won't be top of the line anymore, probably not even in 6 months.

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Love my Note 2, and the Note3 looks even sweeter. I've not had any issues with this phone everything worked great. My wife's S3 is also with no issues.

That wasn't the case for the original galaxy S we owned. It had serious GPS issues, that never where resolved.

Posted via Android Central App

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49