Hey guys, I hope everyone is having a nice Saturday

I wanted to ask you guys some questions regarding rooting. I want to get all this samsung and sprint crap off my phone. When the Lookout app scans my phone..it says I have over 300 apps. I only installed like 20. Anyway, what Id like to do is root my phone. Is it possible to get stock android 4.3 on my sprint s4 when its rooted? If I decide that I am not a fan of the stock android version is it possible to go back to the sprint and sammy version like when I bought it? Some people say Cynogenmod is really great. Any thoughts on that? If there is someone here that has an S4 and its rooted could you tell me what benefits it has given you personally? What do you like about it the most?

My device info
    Model SPH-L720
    Android Version 4.2.2
    Build Number: JDQ39.L720VPUAMF9
    09-14-2013 05:59 PM
    Hey guys, I hope everyone is having a nice Saturday

I wanted to ask you guys some questions regarding rooting. I want to get all this samsung and sprint crap off my phone. When the Lookout app scans my phone..it says I have over 300 apps. I only installed like 20. Anyway, what Id like to do is root my phone. Is it possible to get stock android 4.3 on my sprint s4 when its rooted? If I decide that I am not a fan of the stock android version is it possible to go back to the sprint and sammy version like when I bought it? Some people say Cynogenmod is really great. Any thoughts on that? If there is someone here that has an S4 and its rooted could you tell me what benefits it has given you personally? What do you like about it the most?

My device info
    Model SPH-L720
    Android Version 4.2.2
    Build Number: JDQ39.L720VPUAMF9
    Welcome to the forums!
    I don't have an S4, but an S3, and am rooted and have flashed over 20 ROMs in the past 2 years.
    Remember, that on an Android device, there are a lot of apps on the phone that you can't open. System apps, that make the smartphone what it is: A mini computer. Now, yes there is bloatware on the phone. And yes, just rooting and installing an app called Titanium Backup will freeze those apps. (It can delete, too, but for people new to gaining root access, I recommend freezing first.)

As for Cyanogen; I personally don't like it. But let's back up a moment. Cyanogen (CM) is based on the Android Open Source Project (AOSP). Many others are too, like AOKP, ParanoidAndroid, SlimROM, etc. There is also the stock ROM like Samsung's TouchWiz. I am running Slim myself, and I prefer it over CM. There are a few customization options SlimROM incorporates, that CM does not. Now, I fully respect CM and all the hard work they do, and even Slim borrows heavily form them.

As for rooting, you can try GalaxyS4Root.com - Learn How To Root Samsung Galaxy S4, install custom ROMs, and more!
    But you may have to wait. The last I heard, the new update hindered the rooting process. Best to study up before doing anything.
    09-14-2013 07:20 PM