Android is Leaving me with little choice

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Ok. Read ur topic and ur post it's about "You" complaining that you can't find a phone that suits "YOUR" needs because of Google. You never said anything about other ppl might want the same things u need. And yet you argue with ppl because they misinterpreted your posts.

Get real.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

Hold on man.. I was arguing with U and one other person talking crazy... I even stated once that i could have better stated what i was trying to say... In the OP.. Note: AC wouldn't allow me to edit it... I've given a thanks to most of the people provided feedback... Even if it wasn't an idea I'd explore..

I've agreed its not directly Google nor the OEM's fault but largely between the carriers and the OEM's... Now if you just haven't read the post in which I've acknowledged these things... Its not my fault

Sent from my SCH-I605 using AC Forums mobile app

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
All that aside, the reason you are finding choices narrowed, especially on Verizon, is that they are in the business of selling bandwidth, not memory chips. It all falls into place when you realize that. Samsung gets away with Micro SDs only because they have the clout to dictate to Verizon and AT&T.

That being said, I keep my music on an old Sansa Clip+. It is light as hell and I don't kill my phone battery using it. Sound quality is also better than anything Android. So the only reason I really need storage on my phone is camera and videos I take.

I downloaded the cloud around app which taps into multiple cloud services... I may explore this option going forward... I have somethings i must keep on my phone but if this works i should be fine... I am a bit concerned about data caps however... If this pans out my phone selection will open back up..

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Htc makes 64gb models. Samsung does too, lg opitmus g has 16 with room for more and the g pro has 32 with expandable memory same with samsung. I dont think its android whos eliminating the expandable memory but device manufacturers are. What different with apple the go up 64gb.

Ur one of the select few who need that much storage. Why dont u get a dedicated mp3 player so u dont kill ur battery?

Sent from my LG-E980 using AC Forums mobile app

No music players are probably one of easiest running apps On ur battery from my experience... To add i have a galaxy note2 3000Mah.. Prior to that i always ordered spare batteries..... Also I'm usually listening to music in the car or work near a charger..

Htc one 64gb is only on AT&T (exclusive)
But yea if u have at&t that's great

Last edited:

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
I pay full price so I don't have to be locked into contract renewal, its how the rest of the world does it, we Americans are spoiled for having subsidized phone prices and thus don't truly value what luxury items we have in cheap high end smartphones.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Yea ur right.... The other question is what network do you have to be on for unlocked phones... At&t & Tmo right? I love verizon but i may consider At&t soon (2yrs)

gdmin

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Oh by the way which store can I pick up that ASUS or Sony?

I dont want another OS outside of android or ios ...the post states "android" is leaving me with little options. ..not Apple has the most.... this is about Android Android Android ...got it!!

I didn't ask you to feel bad..
I didn't say I was just going to hope over to Apple...but if and when I do ..so what...is that a problem?

I prefer to have more choices on android to have more memory......
u my friend are the troll its clear....

I've explored my options. ..and its on its way...my note3 .. ...I wanted a 64gb G2...

If u want 64gb G2 I think you should ask LG for it. Or buy your phone overseas where the 64gb is available or you can just produce the phone yourself so its suit your needs LMAO.... jkd.

Sent via Tapatalk 2

the1m.polo

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
To all... I've been running the htc one with 32gb.... And I'm feeling ok... I have 12 days left before I can return it... But i maybe able to manage... I removed all music that's not a must have since its still on my Google music account... I have 7gb free... I may be ok... Now I'll still be tempted by the note 3... but i really like the htc one... And 32gb isn't ideal but if you really like a phone, i guess you will find a way to make it work

Thanks for your post even if you got on my damn nerves!!!!.... Lol

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using AC Forums mobile app

TeknoBug

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
My HW upgrade will be next spring, seeing how Android devices are just getting bigger and bigger there's probably not going to be many choices smaller than 5" by then, sure there are mini versions but there's little option for that in Canada (Galaxy S4 mini is coming soon) so I may eventually have to import one, the HTC One Mini looks cool. Either that or defect to an iPhone....ugh.

Or the Moto X, that's the same size of my One X.

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
To all... I've been running the htc one with 32gb.... And I'm feeling ok... I have 7gb free... I may be ok... Now I'll still be tempted by the note 3... but i really like the htc one... And 32gb isn't ideal but if you really like a phone, i guess you will find a way to make it work
Dude in your past life you must of been a woman undecisive and never happy. LOL

I'm glad the HTC is working out for you. Yeah the Note 3 is one heck of a phone. When I purchased my Note 2 I swore up and down I would not upgrade for years but after seeing all the reviews on the Note3 I'm trying to figure out a way to justify upgrading my phone.

Last edited:

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The reason OEMs don't bring more 64 GB phones to the US or launch them on more carriers is there simply isn't the demand for them. Most Americans simply don't buy devices with that capacity. I happen to agree with you that if a phone doesn't have expandable storage, I would like it to be 64 GB, even thoug I can usually get away with 32 (I've got about 5 GB free on my HTC One 32 GB at this point). At the very least, I think we should start to see the 16 GB flagship phone die. HTC already did this with the One, and Samsung looks to be moving that way if the Note 3 represents their new strategy. I was really hoping Apple would kill off the 16 GB iPhone and have either just two capacities or add a 128 GB at the upper end because then other manufacturers would almost be forced to follow suit and offer 32 GB as the base option.

TeknoBug

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm a fan of using microSD, but that option is starting to disappear as newer devices comes out, I'm fine with using a 16GB phone, it's not like I cram a bunch of crap onto it and apps usually take 1MB to about 30-40MB if it's a game. My One X has 1.2GB app storage available and 8GB userspace (sdcard) available. But I usually have a second device that has a microSD slot for listening to TuneIn, my ~18GB of music, remote control for HTPC, etc.

dakeb

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I use a Samsung Galaxy Note 1.

What I tend to do is subscribe to Spotify Premium and download current albums to the 16Gb phone internal memory - this is effectively my "music RAM". I have a 32Gb external micro SD card for favourite albums from my own collection, a more permanent store, and portable - this is effectively my "CD Collection". Other music I will stream from Spotify if there is WiFi present - this is effectively "my Radio". My old 30Gb iPod is merely an alarm clock by the side of the bed these days.

At home my TV and surround sound system is ethernet connected to Spotify via the router. I use Samsung products. I can use Samsung Link and within one second view photos and videos off my phone on the Samsung TV. It works very well for me.

What would be useful is an externally accessible SD card slot so you can easily swap out SD cards without dismantling the phone and removing the battery. Then you could carry micro-SD cards in your wallet as an infinite CD collection.

In any case, within a couple of years you will probably have regular phone memory up to 500GB.

power5

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
In any case, within a couple of years you will probably have regular phone memory up to 500GB.

Not so sure about that. They have stopped making normal increases in storage size of phones. Every new year the new phone comes out with 16gb or 32gb as the standard size. The 64gb option is always at least a hundred or more upgrade fee. To get to 64gb with apple you cough up an extra $200. My current 2 year old phone is 16gb. The 5s cheap price is a 16gb option. Not sure why storage sizes have stopped increasing. Probably because they all want us to use cloud storage instead. That way they have us obligated to keep their OS.

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
I think the jump to 64GB eMMC's required a technological leap compared to making 32GB eMMC's. That's why they aren't more common and why storage in phones has slowed down over the past couple of years. I think it will still happen where we'll get a lot more internal storage in phones, but it will take a bit longer than it took to get up to 16GB. My guess is that 32GB eMMC's will be cheap enough before long (they're probably close now) so that 32GB will be standard relatively soon, though.

One issue I bet they're having is that if they double up the storage (2 eMMC's rather than one and a uSD card) it won't be transparent to the user and many people will be confused. it's like having two hard drives where you have to point different apps to different drives. When the uSD is external it's obvious about why you have to do that, but with two internal storage chips it will be confusing as to why you have to put your MP3's on a different drive than your apps for a lot of people. Even in PC's, multi hard-drive systems aren't super common so it's a bit of a foreign concept to some.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
All that aside, the reason you are finding choices narrowed, especially on Verizon, is that they are in the business of selling bandwidth, not memory chips. It all falls into place when you realize that. Samsung gets away with Micro SDs only because they have the clout to dictate to Verizon and AT&T.

That being said, I keep my music on an old Sansa Clip+. It is light as hell and I don't kill my phone battery using it. Sound quality is also better than anything Android. So the only reason I really need storage on my phone is camera and videos I take.

Or Samsung is the only one that wants to take the time and effort to support expandable memory.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma