trying to decide if android is still right for me.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
So,for the past month or so I have been wondering if android still is serving my needs best compared to iOS. It also do sent helpvtgat apple just released new phones and I actually rather like iOS 7.

Pretty much, this is why I went with android in the first place:

Better integration with googles services, better Google maps,better Google Now integration, and quick access to stuff like WiFi,blutooth,radio bands,and etc. Without drilling into 3 different menus like with iOS.

The problem is,now iOS has quick access. So thats no longer a point for android.

I currently own a nexus 4, and honestly I miss a device whos battery can get me through the day. I do not think my nexus 4 has good battery life. Also,I miss a device that doesn't have random resets. I haven't had many,but its really dumb when it happens.

And here's another thing: I don't ever really want to root,flash,or ROM. I personally don't find it appealing. But this is one of the main points for choosing android over ios,and I'm never going to do it. So I would much rather have a stable device with great battery.

Maybe my issue is I need a more current android phone? Honestly,I don't even know which one would meet my requirements of battery life and stability. I don't need 24 hours,but I do need a phone where I don't have to constantly carry my big external battery with me. I use my phone heavily through the day.

Anyway, does anyone have any feedback or input? Thanks :)

hatchex

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Well since it sounds like you want all Google related things android is definitely an option. If say wait for the nexus 5 or go with the LG G2/ droid ultra/maxx/mini for the android route

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm not on Verizon and I don't like LGs software. Frankly,I'm not sure if I'll like any software other than stock android. I think I'll only know that if I use a s4 or HTC one for a month or whatever. But by then I can't do any exchanges or whatever.

I just really need better battery life than I'm getting with the nexus 4.

gdmin

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
If it's bad you can just switch to whatever platform you wish... What if it's good?

Only you knows best what you need though... by the way I have this second phone from lenovo it's dual sim here's the battery life

objn.png

4g5y.png

Was buying for the kid maybe handed to him next year LOL

Sent via Tapatalk 2

Alik Malix

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
RavenSword, you're probably the most unbiased member I know. But I gotta say that if your integrated with google services, android should logically be your choice. I don't jailbrake, or wouldn't root, just because I don't care to, but I'm pretty sure that if I did, it would be to clean up the OS and choose a modern design the way iOS looks, or the new iOS 7. I used just about everything google when I got my first iPhone, I slowly switched to apple stuff Email, iCloud, Safari: to me it's the uncluttered, bloatware free, ready-to-go experience that probably going to keep me with iOS.

But if I had to go with android - MotoX would be it, it still got bloat, but I'd give that a try before considering iOS, or WP.

AZBoy28

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Give Android a go!
Android is good if you want a free customization experience and iOS is good if you want a straight forward experience.
Regarding the battery life.. it depends which phone and if you're running apps that stay on 24/7 (eg. antivirus)

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Android is right for you trust me. You could be feeling the affects of the Reality Distortion Field (RDF) and those effects can be strong and disorienting. Apple spends a lot of engineering resources on their RDF radios. We often prescribe Nexuscillin for this but any Android phone will do if the Nexus' RDF jammer isn't strong enough. Might I prescribe an HTC One, S4, G2, Droid (Maxx), Note 2 or 3? Take one... you'll feel better for sure.

from my Sony Xperia Tablet Z or XTZ or "Ecstasy"

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
RavenSword, you're probably the most unbiased member I know. But I gotta say that if your integrated with google services, android should logically be your choice. I don't jailbrake, or wouldn't root, just because I don't care to, but I'm pretty sure that if I did, it would be to clean up the OS and choose a modern design the way iOS looks, or the new iOS 7. I used just about everything google when I got my first iPhone, I slowly switched to apple stuff Email, iCloud, Safari: to me it's the uncluttered, bloatware free, ready-to-go experience that probably going to keep me with iOS.

But if I had to go with android - MotoX would be it, it still got bloat, but I'd give that a try before considering iOS, or WP.

Well, I'm unsure how Intreanched I am with Google services. I do use Gmail, and use Chrome on my computer, and Google calendar. But I dont do anything crazy with them that I couldn't theoretical use apples services the same way, or at least the Gmail is app, Chrome app, and sync Google calendar through apples a lender system or some other calendar app.

I do use Google music, and have my music library stored on its cloud and I am subscribed to all access. But quite frankly it's massive data usage and weird bugs might make me go to Spotify anyway.

The moto x was one of the main phones I was considering due to its lack of bloat and near stock UI. so perhaps I should give the a go like you said before ditching android.

I like Android quite a bit and haven't really had a terrible experience with it, I'm just wondering if there's a even better experience with ios.

But perhaps that is just grass is greener thinking and I should give it another try with the moto x just to be sure. Nothing saying I can't then get the iPhone 6 or 6S or whatever next time if I don't like Android after the moto x, right?

BTW: thank you for the compliment. I try not to be a fan of companies, but rather experiences. But of course I do have some favorite companies, and it just do happens both apple and Google are among them. Honest if they could just get together and make a love child, I'd be set. Ha ha.

GeekMoxie

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm a fan of both iOS and Android - each have their reasons they shine. We have both platforms in our house, that being said - I don't think I have noticed the iPhone to have better battery life than my S4. After I tweaked my phone to be how I liked it, it outlasted my old iPhone 5 hands down. The 5s may have better battery life, I'm not sure though. My husband has only had it for a day or so.

I will say though - the quick access on the 5s is not gimmicky at all. It works perfectly so far. Both my husband and I have both our thumbs recognized on his device. The camera is also bomb-diggity so far, but that may not be a priority for you.

Since you have been vested in Android, the best option may be for you to upgrade to a newer device and if you don't dig it, swap it out for the 5s within your window =)

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm a fan of both iOS and Android - each have their reasons they shine. We have both platforms in our house, that being said - I don't think I have noticed the iPhone to have better battery life than my S4. After I tweaked my phone to be how I liked it, it outlasted my old iPhone 5 hands down. The 5s may have better battery life, I'm not sure though. My husband has only had it for a day or so.

I will say though - the quick access on the 5s is not gimmicky at all. It works perfectly so far. Both my husband and I have both our thumbs recognized on his device. The camera is also bomb-diggity so far, but that may not be a priority for you.

Since you have been vested in Android, the best option may be for you to upgrade to a newer device and if you don't dig it, swap it out for the 5s within your window =)
Well, if I get the motor x using my upgrade, I would have to wait like 2 years before I get another upgrade. Unless I get the moto x developer edition or get whatever the nexus 5 is.

TeknoBug

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
If you're going for iPhones for better battery life, that's the wrong reason- iPhone battery life is mediocre at best however the 5S/C has a slightly larger battery. I rarely have had battery issues with any of my Android devices except for the Motorola Charm (which was a terrible device and had a teeny tiny battery), my HTC One X still has ~30-40% battery by the end of the day with medium-heavy use.

OP if your Nexus 4 is resetting on you, I think it's a good idea to send it in for repairs or swap for another one, my LG Optimus LTE ran great with GB but once I upgraded to ICS over OTA it reset on me a lot because something in the update made the device get stupidly hot.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
If you're going for iPhones for better battery life, that's the wrong reason- iPhone battery life is mediocre at best however the 5S/C has a slightly larger battery. I rarely have had battery issues with any of my Android devices except for the Motorola Charm (which was a terrible device and had a teeny tiny battery), my HTC One X still has ~30-40% battery by the end of the day with medium-heavy use.

OP if your Nexus 4 is resetting on you, I think it's a good idea to send it in for repairs or swap for another one, my LG Optimus LTE ran great with GB but once I upgraded to ICS over OTA it reset on me a lot because something in the update made the device get stupidly hot.

Well, there not even making g nexus 4s anymore.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, there not even making g nexus 4s anymore.

True, because Google is making room for the new Nexus. Could you post screenshots of your battery stats, and the graph, please? That way we can help you a little more with why your battery doesn't seem to be to your liking?

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I do admit that the HTC ONES screen entices me.

The s4 I'm not sure of because of its software that might big the phone down.

Oh the S4 is fine. Some non-S4 owners make it out to be worse than I've ever seen it....if it exists at all. I really like my S4 but if it didn't work 100% well I wouldn't still be using it.

Note 8.0

NocturnalDroid

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Let me put it simply. Do you want to be in control of your device? Or do you want to be controlled by your device? If it's the latter, go for iOS, for everything else there's Android.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 4

Alik Malix

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Let me put it simply. Do you want to be in control of your device? Or do you want to be controlled by your device? If it's the latter, go for iOS, for everything else there's Android.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk 4

See, I see it completely differently. If you want a device you have to work for, get an Android, but if you want a device that works for you, get an Apple!

And I'll even go a step forward (unlike you) and back up my statement - I'll keep it short. Android requires you to get another keyboard to make it comfortable to use, it requires you to hide lots and lots of bloat just to make it as easy to navigate as iOS. And then you have to disable things just to balance hardware resources . Then you must run virus/malware software that also reserve resources consistently (in comparison - there is not one virus/malware app in the App Store, no one would buy it). And all for what? Slightly bigger screen? A widget? Everyone I know who has an Android, had to FINISH the OS in some way, or in a few instances changed it to something else (root&flash). Yeh that's all great, but why would you have to work just to make the experience match iOS - Clean, Smooth, Intuitive.

Apple, you can buy a new one, restore your back up (regardless of new iOS version) and you're set to go. DONE!

You see "controlled by your device", I see handpicked, polished, properly implemented features and setup that is called iOS.