trying to decide if android is still right for me.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
See, I see it completely differently. If you want a device you have to work for, get an Android, but if you want a device that works for you, get an Apple!

And I'll even go a step forward (unlike you) and back up my statement - I'll keep it short. Android requires you to get another keyboard to make it comfortable to use, it requires you to hide lots and lots of bloat just to make it as easy to navigate as iOS. And then you have to disable things just to balance hardware resources . Then you must run virus/malware software that also reserve resources consistently (in comparison - there is not one virus/malware app in the App Store, no one would buy it). And all for what? Slightly bigger screen? A widget? Everyone I know who has an Android, had to FINISH the OS in some way, or in a few instances changed it to something else (root&flash). Yeh that's all great, but why would you have to work just to make the experience match iOS - Clean, Smooth, Intuitive.

Apple, you can buy a new one, restore your back up (regardless of new iOS version) and you're set to go. DONE!

You see "controlled by your device", I see handpicked, polished, properly implemented features and setup that is called iOS.

I have, but no longer run any anti-virus on any of my 3 android devices, just wasn't necessary. Many folks don't have to "finish the OS" but like to tune and customize it towards their desires. Some actually enjoy the activity of doing just that...making the phone uniquely theirs. Different strokes for different folks.

from my Sony Xperia Tablet Z or XTZ or "Ecstasy"

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
See, I see it completely differently. If you want a device you have to work for, get an Android, but if you want a device that works for you, get an Apple!

And I'll even go a step forward (unlike you) and back up my statement - I'll keep it short. Android requires you to get another keyboard to make it comfortable to use, it requires you to hide lots and lots of bloat just to make it as easy to navigate as iOS. And then you have to disable things just to balance hardware resources . Then you must run virus/malware software that also reserve resources consistently (in comparison - there is not one virus/malware app in the App Store, no one would buy it). And all for what? Slightly bigger screen? A widget? Everyone I know who has an Android, had to FINISH the OS in some way, or in a few instances changed it to something else (root&flash). Yeh that's all great, but why would you have to work just to make the experience match iOS - Clean, Smooth, Intuitive.

Apple, you can buy a new one, restore your back up (regardless of new iOS version) and you're set to go. DONE!

You see "controlled by your device", I see handpicked, polished, properly implemented features and setup that is called iOS.

This is a different and strange way to look at their differences. With ios you have no choice, you are stuck with what you get. It would be like going to buy a car and having no choice of options. Here is your car, enjoy. It might drive beautifully but that gets boring after a while, at least for some of us.

The whole thing about "having to set up Android" is not a requirement, again, it's an option. An option you don't have with iPhone.

Alik Malix

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Guys, guys, I do understand that many prefer the Android experience... I always sound like I want to start a flamewar, but I just wanted to replay to "If you want to be controlled by your device, get an Apple" post that NocturnalDroid has posted. It's not true!... When I tried an android phone, I did not like the clutter, and the effort required to "make device yours". I love design, I love designing things, so android should have been second nature to me, but all I ended up doing is trying to make it work, look and feel like iOS. Uncluttered, All apps front and center, an seamless design/function thru out the entire ecosystem - icloud, icloud on PC, ipad, iphone. In Android world, everything is different, even the menus on the same phone look like they were put together like parts from 3 different OS's. I'll take streamlined over customization...

gdmin

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
Guys, guys, I do understand that many prefer the Android experience... I always sound like I want to start a flamewar, but I just wanted to replay to "If you want to be controlled by your device, get an Apple" post that NocturnalDroid has posted. It's not true!... When I tried an android phone, I did not like the clutter, and the effort required to "make device yours". I love design, I love designing things, so android should have been second nature to me, but all I ended up doing is trying to make it work, look and feel like iOS. Uncluttered, All apps front and center, an seamless design/function thru out the entire ecosystem - icloud, icloud on PC, ipad, iphone. In Android world, everything is different, even the menus on the same phone look like they were put together like parts from 3 different OS's. I'll take streamlined over customization...

Yes and you do sound like you wanna start flame war...

If you love your iOS so much then I don't know what you're doing on Android Central when all your post is just about how good is my ios devices.

We have imore for ios lover... I love my android and never care to flame on imore and said this and that about my android.

Sent via Tapatalk 2

The Real X Dawg

Jun 8, 2012
Visit site

HTC's stock keyboard is good along with Google's. Even on my old Infuse I never disabled anything for hardware or used any kind of malware/antivirus programs.

The only work I put into any of my devices including my old iPhone is choosing my weekly themes.

Sent from my Venomous HTC One!

Alik Malix

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes and you do sound like you wanna start flame war...

If you love your iOS so much then I don't know what you're doing on Android Central when all your post is just about how good is my ios devices.

We have imore for ios lover... I love my android and never care to flame on imore and said this and that about my android.

Sent via Tapatalk 2

gdmin, I cannot blame you or anyone else for disagreeing with me. iMore is awesome, and I do sound biased, that's because I am. But I love back and forth "Constructive" debate - I like tech stuff, and reading articles, you mostly get one side or the other. Real people, real experiences is what really makes being on Android Forum so interesting (on top of the fact that this is the only forum that has a few interesting, non-troll, android users as apposed to other places). So in a nutshell, it's like a chess game. I'm looking for your best move - then it's my turn, based on truth and facts. It's also a challenge to filter biased posts sometimes - they do get clever - but a challenge I enjoy. Look at "The Real X Dawg's" post, clearly a great experience with android without the requirement to mod the crap out of it. I almost have no comeback to his comment.

If it gets heated - I turn it down, or leave, but real experiences are hard to come by - because most are biased (like mine). For whatever it's worth. Look at my first post on this thread...

EDIT: Regarding iMore - kinda sucks having everyone agree with you all the time..

gdmin

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site
gdmin, I cannot blame you or anyone else for disagreeing with me. iMore is awesome, and I do sound biased, that's because I am. But I love back and forth "Constructive" debate - I like tech stuff, and reading articles, you mostly get one side or the other. Real people, real experiences is what really makes being on Android Forum so interesting (on top of the fact that this is the only forum that has a few interesting, non-troll, android users as apposed to other places). So in a nutshell, it's like a chess game. I'm looking for your best move - then it's my turn, based on truth and facts. It's also a challenge to filter biased posts sometimes - they do get clever - but a challenge I enjoy. Look at "The Real X Dawg's" post, clearly a great experience with android without the requirement to mod the crap out of it. I almost have no comeback to his comment.

If it gets heated - I turn it down, or leave, but real experiences are hard to come by - because most are biased (like mine). For whatever it's worth. Look at my first post on this thread...

EDIT: Regarding iMore - kinda sucks having everyone agree with you all the time..

Please re-read about your previous post that I just replied. Its all about you, you and you... People ask for help they don't care about you. And you said multiple times that you can't make android like iOS.. guess what, YOU CAN'T and never will because android is not IOS.

You admitted that you're biased... taking that attitude to neighboors forum will never get you constructive discussion.

You'll mostly force your opinion to others like I've caught yesterday on different thread. You asking someone multiple times why he not choose iphone even after he refuses to answer it. My friend... Most people call that annoying.

I'm also member of many different os forums such as crackberry, etc and never got trolled because I never do the "how good my device compared to yours" blindly...

Sent via Tapatalk 2

sting7k

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like you want an iPhone 5S to me.

But another solution to your battery problems is to charge your phone more often. Charge it any time you sit down at a computer or any where else. Small charges on Li-ion batteries are the best method to charge them. By doing a full charge cycle every time is not good for the health of your battery. Charge your battery more often. Monoprice.com sells micro-USB cables for only a few bucks each and you can get really long ones; everyone always asks about my 6 foot cable when I'm traveling. There is no reason not to have a ton of cables. There is no reason to be constantly worried about your battery being dead all the time. These are not the Ni batteries that were around in the 90's.

Ask Ars: What is the best way to use a Li-ion battery? | Ars Technica

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site

So "if" the way it is set up works for you, great. No one says you shouldn't use ios. For those of us that don't find it adequate, there is Android, which we can make our own (not have to). Its very simple.

TeknoBug

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like you want an iPhone 5S to me.

But another solution to your battery problems is to charge your phone more often. Charge it any time you sit down at a computer or any where else. Small charges on Li-ion batteries are the best method to charge them. By doing a full charge cycle every time is not good for the health of your battery. Charge your battery more often. Monoprice.com sells micro-USB cables for only a few bucks each and you can get really long ones; everyone always asks about my 6 foot cable when I'm traveling. There is no reason not to have a ton of cables. There is no reason to be constantly worried about your battery being dead all the time. These are not the Ni batteries that were around in the 90's.

Ask Ars: What is the best way to use a Li-ion battery? | Ars Technica

^ yes, part of that is never let Li-ions drop past 30% repeatedly, it's not healthy for them. Nicads are the ones you can drain then recharge over and over, draining Li-Ions will drastically shorten its life even when storing them (it's documented somwhere that it's best to leave them at 50% full when storing).

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
This choice is consuming me. I can decide if I want to go with a moto x or go back to iOS with the iPhone 5S. I'm afraid of making the wrong choice.

festinator

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
This choice is consuming me. I can decide if I want to go with a moto x or go back to iOS with the iPhone 5S. I'm afraid of making the wrong choice.

If you get a moto x and don't like it can you not take it back and get the 5s within a certain time period and vice versa?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
If you get a moto x and don't like it can you not take it back and get the 5s within a certain time period and vice versa?

Nobody has 5S though.

I just gear everyone else say android is best, but I just like something about iOS. It just works.

festinator

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Nobody has 5S though.

I just gear everyone else say android is best, but I just like something about iOS. It just works.

Its a really solid OS. Tbh if the nexus line wasn't around I might be on an iPhone too haha. If iOS meets your needs then go for it.

Alik Malix

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Please re-read about your previous post that I just replied. Its all about you, you and you... People ask for help they don't care about you. And you said multiple times that you can't make android like iOS.. guess what, YOU CAN'T and never will because android is not IOS.

You admitted that you're biased... taking that attitude to neighboors forum will never get you constructive discussion.

You'll mostly force your opinion to others like I've caught yesterday on different thread. You asking someone multiple times why he not choose iphone even after he refuses to answer it. My friend... Most people call that annoying.

I'm also member of many different os forums such as crackberry, etc and never got trolled because I never do the "how good my device compared to yours" blindly...

Sent via Tapatalk 2

Dude, stop getting angry, my first post was regarding MotoX as a better solution then iPhone. My second post was to correct someone that iOS does NOT control it's user, provide alternative veiw and backing up my point. My 3rd post was replying to you why I like to post here instead of iMore, because you asked why I dont just go to iMore. And now you're telling me you caught me forcing something? You dont like my opinion, now you're kicking me off this forum? I've even went to say that I am biased - that does NOT mean I hate all Android, and its users -- it means I like iOS more then Android - and I support my view with a breakdown because, while you're trying to lead this topic into how my posts are upsetting you, I like to share my opinion and letting the OP relate or not relate his own requirements. Would you rather I just post "iOS is best, Android sucks"? That would be in no help to anyone.

This is my last post, I hate where this is going... Good luck, RavenSword. I'd wait if I were you till iPhone 5s is available in your color, then get MotoX (or something) try it, and if you dont like, most retailers give you 30 day return with some repackaging fee 10% or something (ask about that). In case you dont like it, you can exchange for iPhone.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
2 things. First, as said above, most carriers have a return policy that allows you a certain time to return a device if you don't like it. Second, technology is ever changing so you are never stuck with your choice for long. Go with your gut and enjoy!

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

To be fair, Android "just works," too. It's just different than iOS. I think there's a steeper learning curve with Android, but the payoff is tremendous. It may not be for everyone, though, and many people aren't patient. That's why choice is good.

RavenSword

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Anyway I've decided to get the moto x and stick with android for the time being. The fact that the moto x got that update to fix it's camera pretty much tipped the scales for me in favor of that because the camera was the only thing I was iffy on with the moto x.

tgp

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
To be fair, Android "just works," too. It's just different than iOS. I think there's a steeper learning curve with Android, but the payoff is tremendous.

This is an accurate statement in my experience. After running the top 3 OS's side by side, I've discovered that Android, since Jelly Bean, is every bit as solid as iOS. WP still needs some work though FWIW.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellie10