Serious OS Discussion!

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Well said and I understand your points. I would never go to iOS personally. Its way too limiting in functionality for someone who started out on android with a Samsung Gem over 2 yrs. ago. If not BB, then I will definitely stay with android. My only question now is what's an awesome Tablet for android that is also inexpensive? I am saving for a laptop as well.

Posted via Android Central App

What size tablets would you like? In my opinion you can't go wrong with the nexus devices from Google. But that depends on your needs and wants.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

wanted198

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
As a big blackberry fan I'd say android. Was going to get a Q10 but in the state of the company it looks like the execs are just trying to fill their own pockets and **** the company over. I'm getting a HTC One, the ecosystem and 1080p screen and all the advantages of android are superior to the nice BB10 OS and the hub. There's probably customisations you can make to lay out an android a lot like BB10 anyway.

Chanlion

May 16, 2013
Visit site
There are points where just sheer productivity and efficiency is just better on BB10. I'm personally aiming for that Z30.

But my honest opinion is that, all the reall functionality is there in the BB app store. It's the extras that maybe arn't 100% there but growing. I sideload instagram and that's really about all sideloading I need. Everything else is in BBW.

But for the tablet, I would skip the Playbook. Their phone's are amazing but that tablet isn't great at all. Go for a Sony, Asus or Nexus tablet.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
What size tablets would you like? In my opinion you can't go wrong with the nexus devices from Google. But that depends on your needs and wants.

Probably looking at tablets with a 7-8 inch screen. No tablet appeals to me in the big screen section besides the Nexus 10 and Xperia Tablet Z and they are out of budget being over $300.

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Probably looking at tablets with a 7-8 inch screen. No tablet appeals to me in the big screen section besides the Nexus 10 and Xperia Tablet Z and they are out of budget being over $300.

I would say go with the nexus 7. Under 300 and good hardware, latest android vanilla. If you don't mind getting a first generation nexus 7 i have one that I'd be willing to sell to you for under 150. I have both the first and latest generation nexus 7. So I don't use the first gen much anymore.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
As a big blackberry fan I'd say android. Was going to get a Q10 but in the state of the company it looks like the execs are just trying to fill their own pockets and **** the company over. I'm getting a HTC One, the ecosystem and 1080p screen and all the advantages of android are superior to the nice BB10 OS and the hub. There's probably customisations you can make to lay out an android a lot like BB10 anyway.

Wait, are you really banned from CrackBerry?

Posted via Droid Razr M on the Android Central App

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site

Might consider a HiSense Sero 7 PRO which is available at Walmart for $129.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

FishenFool

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
My two cents here: What the company's plans and structure has to do with the device is that the device and the company are linked. If one fails, the other will lose most if not all usability and/or satisfaction. If you bought a BB right now, sure it will work and it will have everything but I doubt you would be able to enjoy it all very long. Unless you just want to use BB for a year or less then by all means go for it. And for the google thing, I thought it was the opposite, since motorola was dying people were like dont buy it. Then google took over and rumors of moto x started to thrive and people were filled with excitement and curiosity. At least from what i've read.

To your question though I'd say get an android or any of the other top OS. iOS, Android, etc. People love ios and android because the user experience is fresh and constant. People tend to buy something they think will last them for a long time. no one thinks apple and google will go under in a year or two. For BB in my opinion is TOO unpredictable at this moment. IF they go under then what you have is a device that will no longer be supported officially. That means you are at risk with security breaches, device will get slower due to lack of efficiency updates to the device, and so on and so on. If they dont go under then you still don't get a full user experience (app wise) as the others. Developers will go to the most popular of them all. That means apps will go to where ever the developers go. BB is not that appealing to an average developer. There's not much revenue. So BB already has a lack of apps as someone stated above. If you want something that just works with little customization then go with iOS, if you want slightly less quality app selection but with more customization go with android. But it all boils down to what you want. If you REALLY love BB then just do it. Get what you love.

This is the reason I am on Android now. Found myself facing this issue with webOS.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AC Forums mobile app

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
How does that affect product that is already out though? Its still a car regardless if the company isn't doing as good as it was, it does not change the functionality of it. Like how people still have hummers and still buy them even though Hummer went out of businesses years ago.

But the point is when it does act up, like a car, it may be more difficult to fix or deal with. Following the car example, if it breaks down, with no available fix for it, you are then forced to shift to another manufacturer.
Hummer is a bad counter example. They didn't go out of business, GM shut them down. Because they are a GM product, still up and running, parts to repair it (or the equivalent) should still be available.

To start over, Firefox has an OS. Would you get it?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
But the point is when it does act up, like a car, it may be more difficult to fix or deal with. Following the car example, if it breaks down, with no available fix for it, you are then forced to shift to another manufacturer.
Hummer is a bad counter example. They didn't go out of business, GM shut them down. Because they are a GM product, still up and running, parts to repair it (or the equivalent) should still be available.

To start over, Firefox has an OS. Would you get it?

I would only give Firefox OS a chance if they had comparable hardware, right now they are playing the low end.

TeknoBug

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
There are points where just sheer productivity and efficiency is just better on BB10. I'm personally aiming for that Z30.

But my honest opinion is that, all the reall functionality is there in the BB app store. It's the extras that maybe arn't 100% there but growing. I sideload instagram and that's really about all sideloading I need. Everything else is in BBW.

But for the tablet, I would skip the Playbook. Their phone's are amazing but that tablet isn't great at all. Go for a Sony, Asus or Nexus tablet.

Yeah I still have my PlayBook here, can't do a whole lot with it and you need to get the expensive Flix or PlayOn (and a PC server) to watch Netflix as there's no native Netflix client, and there's several other quirks I have with it. I also have an Asus Android tablet and it's waaaaaaay better and more useful.

As for tablet and laptop, either save for the Surface Pro 2 (first see how feedback is) or get an Asus or Nexus tablet and an Asus or Lenovo laptop, Asus also makes a TF700 Transformer tablet (Android) that also have a hardware keyboard attachable to make it like a Chromebook type laptop, not all that useful if you need to use Windows programs like Office though.

angieberry10

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I have been flip flopping between wether or not to stay with android or go get a Z10 like I want. I had this dream to have a Z10 with a BB Playbook. But I have to now step back, and realize if I do this I would miss some things. Now I ask you, knowledgable and helpful people should I get a BlackBerry or stay the course with android. If I do stay android I would like to get a tablet. Don`t flame BlackBerry please, this is a serious discussion. Straight facts. (Though I still want some opinions)

I'm on a Z10 now and I truly love the BB10 os and would stay with it if I could get apps I want. Side loading isn't for me, the ones I have side loaded have never been fully functional.

I've decided on android because I just don't want to give Apple any more of my money. My kids have plenty of their products and i never really loved my iPhone 4S.

Now if I could just decide which phone to get! I have pinned it down to the HTC One or the Moto X and I've never been so undecided!

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I have been flip flopping between wether or not to stay with android or go get a Z10 like I want. I had this dream to have a Z10 with a BB Playbook. But I have to now step back, and realize if I do this I would miss some things. Now I ask you, knowledgable and helpful people should I get a BlackBerry or stay the course with android. If I do stay android I would like to get a tablet. Don`t flame BlackBerry please, this is a serious discussion. Straight facts. (Though I still want some opinions)

I had this combination through my job and was irrevocably unimpressed. I gave the Z10 to an employee and the playbook sits in a drawer (occasionally I power it up hoping for a worthwhile update, only to continue to be disappointed).

from my Sony XTZ

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
For an affordable Android tablet, the Nexus 7 (2013) is an amazing device for the money ($230). If you wanted even cheaper, you could get the Asus MeMO Pad HD, which is like $150 and is essentially last year's Nexus 7 with an added rear facing camera.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
For an affordable Android tablet, the Nexus 7 (2013) is an amazing device for the money ($230). If you wanted even cheaper, you could get the Asus MeMO Pad HD, which is like $150 and is essentially last year's Nexus 7 with an added rear facing camera.

Thinking of getting the Nook HD for the price, its capable enough for media and its running less than $150. On sale for $109 right now.

npark2012

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
How so? It has full Google play access, and is just running a different skin than stock.

Just for good measure. If you're fine with the skins and some limitations it has then by all means go for it. Just check it out thoroughly before you purchase it. I don't want you to think it's great and then later found out there is something that you don't like. Thoroughly check out their ecosystem, make sure they have ALL the apps you care about available for download, also little things to make sure like rooting and other tiny things. Point in all, make sure you get 100% satisfaction with the device AND the ecosystem.