I'm looking at three tablets right now.

Nexus 7, Dell Venue 7, and the Kindle Fire HDX. Nexus 7 is the first choice for any android user, Kindle Fire HDX because I use Amazon a lot already, and the Dell Venue Pro because I get discount in Dell stuff through my job(Also getting a Dell laptop as well).

What do you guys think?

Posted via Droid RAZR M on the Android Central App
    10-15-2013 03:02 PM
    It really depends on what kind of user you'll be. If you want a pure Android experience, with prompt system updates and a very customizable interface, go for the Nexus 7, whether it's the older 2012 version or the fantastic new 2013 version. If you don't mind a somewhat closed interface, the Kindle Fire HDX is supposed to have amazing hardware, but you're not going to get the latest and greatest updates from Google. I know nothing about the Dell--is that an Android tablet, or a Windows 8 tablet? In any case, Dell has had so many false starts and misfires when it comes to tablets that I'd wait for a while to see if they get it right this time.
    10-16-2013 01:28 AM
    The Kindle Fire is really locked into Amazon's ecosystem, which is fine I suppose if you use them for everything. It's great for media consumption and price but the app selection isn't as good. If you're looking for a wider game and app selection, you'll want the N7. It is well worth the cost.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk 4
    10-16-2013 02:33 AM
    The Kindle Fire is really locked into Amazon's ecosystem, which is fine I suppose if you use them for everything. It's great for media consumption and price but the app selection isn't as good. If you're looking for a wider game and app selection, you'll want the N7. It is well worth the cost.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 3 using Tapatalk 4
    My problem is the cost, I don't if I can justify that price when I can get another tablet for $100-60 less (Nook HD-Dell Venue 7). Can you give some advantages to the Nexus 7 over a cheaper tablet such as a Nook HD?

10-16-2013 11:39 AM
    You can get the original 2012 Nexus 7 at deep discounts now, even brand new. The 32 GB version is going for about $150-160 at places like Staples.

Again, the big advantage of a Nexus device is prompt system updates from Google. When KitKat comes out (Android 4.4), you can be sure that the Nexus 7 will get it within a week or two--and that includes the older Nexus 7 model. Updates to the Fire or the Nook depend on Amazon and B&N, and since the version of Android on the Fire is a "forked" version (i.e., significantly modified by Amazon), there's really no guarantee that the system will continue to improve as pure Android does. The Nook has pretty much been abandoned, I think, so it's probably safe to say that it will never by updated significantly.

The other big advantage of Nexus devices is the greater flexibility of the system. You can modify and tweak the look and the interface much more than with the Fire, and I think the N7 is much easier to root (i.e., gain total control over the system so you can modify even more).
    10-16-2013 01:21 PM
    You can get the original 2012 Nexus 7 at deep discounts now, even brand new. The 32 GB version is going for about $150-160 at places like Staples.

Again, the big advantage of a Nexus device is prompt system updates from Google. When KitKat comes out (Android 4.4), you can be sure that the Nexus 7 will get it within a week or two--and that includes the older Nexus 7 model. Updates to the Fire or the Nook depend on Amazon and B&N, and since the version of Android on the Fire is a "forked" version (i.e., significantly modified by Amazon), there's really no guarantee that the system will continue to improve as pure Android does. The Nook has pretty much been abandoned, I think, so it's probably safe to say that it will never by updated significantly.

The other big advantage of Nexus devices is the greater flexibility of the system. You can modify and tweak the look and the interface much more than with the Fire, and I think the N7 is much easier to root (i.e., gain total control over the system so you can modify even more).
    I actually don't care about updates that much, as long as it runs well and has a decent browser and I can watch Netflix I'm good. I don't root anything, and I'm worried about customer support for whatever I buy. If something goes wrong who do you call for a Nexus device? What if it malfunctions or breaks? That's what has me putting the Dell, fire and the Nook HD on there because they have good customer support. Does Google provide quality customer support?

10-16-2013 01:32 PM
    Hmm, well one thing I like about the Dell Venue is that it supports microSD. For some silly reason, Google thinks we don't need physical storage like microSD cards when we could just use Google Drive. Nuts to that I say. The Venue has a (vastly) inferior screen and (somewhat) inferior specs to the Nexus 7. They share the same amount of RAM but the processor on the Venue is definitely not as good. The battery capacity is supposedly larger but that rarely tells the story with batteries. We'll need some real world use reviews to get a good idea of the battery life. I can't in good conscious recommend the 16 GB Nexus 7 as IMO 16 GB of onboard storage is simply not enough. You will eat that up very quickly unless you only stick to a few apps. So, assuming you are looking at spending a $280 minimum for the N7, the Venue 7 @ $150 minus whatever discount you get could be a substantial bargain (make sure to pick up a microSD card, at least 16 GB, with some of that savings IMO). If you're not planning on playing a lot of higher end games, the Venue could be a good deal. It'll have no problems with productivity apps, social media, music, and so forth. If you plan to watch a lot of videos on your tablet, I would definitely go with the Kindle Fire or N7 over the Venue however. The N7 also benefits from being the "Google" tablet and is at the forefront of snagging all the updates. It got 4.3 on day one (an update for the Gen 1 units and shipping with the Gen 2 devices) whereas devices from other manufacturers fall upon the mercy of those manufacturers to receive updates. Dell says KitKat is definitely coming to the Venue, but that may be it. For some strange reason it will also ship with an already outdated version of Android (4.2.2).

Better processor/RAM means better performance (obviously), apps will load faster and transitions will be smoother. Having gone from low-end Android devices to high end devices, it kinds of blows my mind what a better experience the platform is on juicier hardware. We've come a long way from bootleg Gingerbread tablets but buying a lower end device now may mean you'll want to upgrade sooner rather than later. However, without being able to use the device myself or seeing some more reviews, I would speculate from the hardware that the Venue 7 will be fairly good at music, ebooks, and low-end video. HD video won't be much to write home about and games may have issues. It ships with the same amount of RAM (2GB) as the N7 which is great but without knowing more about the specifics of the RAM (not all RAM is the same) it's hard to say if you'll get the same performance there. I do think Dell has managed to pack in some good hardware at that price but I'm not 100% convinced it can offer competition against the N7 anywhere except for the budget conscious.

What kind of things do you see yourself doing with your tablet?
    B. Diddy likes this.
    10-16-2013 01:41 PM
    I just bought 3 Galaxy Tab 3's for my kids...

Sprint has them for $50 right now on new service agreement
    10-16-2013 01:49 PM
    Hmm, well one thing I like about the Dell Venue is that it supports microSD. For some silly reason, Google thinks we don't need physical storage like microSD cards when we could just use Google Drive. Nuts to that I say. The Venue has a (vastly) inferior screen and (somewhat) inferior specs to the Nexus 7. They share the same amount of RAM but the processor on the Venue is definitely not as good. The battery capacity is supposedly larger but that rarely tells the story with batteries. We'll need some real world use reviews to get a good idea of the battery life. I can't in good conscious recommend the 16 GB Nexus 7 as IMO 16 GB of onboard storage is simply not enough. You will eat that up very quickly unless you only stick to a few apps. So, assuming you are looking at spending a $280 minimum for the N7, the Venue 7 @ $150 minus whatever discount you get could be a substantial bargain (make sure to pick up a microSD card, at least 16 GB, with some of that savings IMO). If you're not planning on playing a lot of higher end games, the Venue could be a good deal. It'll have no problems with productivity apps, social media, music, and so forth. If you plan to watch a lot of videos on your tablet, I would definitely go with the Kindle Fire or N7 over the Venue however. The N7 also benefits from being the "Google" tablet and is at the forefront of snagging all the updates. It got 4.3 on day one (an update for the Gen 1 units and shipping with the Gen 2 devices) whereas devices from other manufacturers fall upon the mercy of those manufacturers to receive updates. Dell says KitKat is definitely coming to the Venue, but that may be it. For some strange reason it will also ship with an already outdated version of Android (4.2.2).

Better processor/RAM means better performance (obviously), apps will load faster and transitions will be smoother. Having gone from low-end Android devices to high end devices, it kinds of blows my mind what a better experience the platform is on juicier hardware. We've come a long way from bootleg Gingerbread tablets but buying a lower end device now may mean you'll want to upgrade sooner rather than later. However, without being able to use the device myself or seeing some more reviews, I would speculate from the hardware that the Venue 7 will be fairly good at music, ebooks, and low-end video. HD video won't be much to write home about and games may have issues. It ships with the same amount of RAM (2GB) as the N7 which is great but without knowing more about the specifics of the RAM (not all RAM is the same) it's hard to say if you'll get the same performance there. I do think Dell has managed to pack in some good hardware at that price but I'm not 100% convinced it can offer competition against the N7 anywhere except for the budget conscious.

What kind of things do you see yourself doing with your tablet?
    I'm thinking to see some reviews on the Dell tablets first then I will decide from there. Because they are tempting at that low price point. Oh, and I get a 10-20% discount off of Dell stuff, which makes me really want to get one. Already getting a Dell laptop for school.

10-16-2013 02:47 PM