Few Questions

rdubmu

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I currently own a Nokia Lumia 920, but will be making the switch to T-Mobile in the next month or so. I am currently with At&t. Looking at devices I might just unlock my Lumia 920 as it is a great device, and meets my needs. If I do get a new device I was looking at the Note 3 or the S4. Last time I had a Android Device was the Mytouch in 2009. IT was one of the worst devices I have ever owned. It was so buggy with forced closes and the device was really slow. It has been 4 years and we are now on Android 4.x now. And with that I think that Android is a polished OS now verses what I experienced a few years ago.

I do have a few questions regarding Android and I thought this forum would be the best.

1. Is Group Messaging available in the Naive app? I have friends with the HTC One, and other devices on other carriers and when they get a group message when they reply it doesn't stay in the same group message. I heard thou it is now supported via MMS like on iPhone and Windows Phone. Which devices support it? Only the S4 and Note 3, can I get it on a google play addition of a phone or a Nexus device as well?

2. How is the camera software? I really like the Nokia camera software and the cameras on the 920, 925, 928 and of course the 1020. I am not looking at getting the 925 because it is a mid-tier device with only 16gig of memory.

3. Which device is your favorite and why? I am also looking at the LG G2 (I think that is what it is called). If you had money right now out of all the android devices which would you get? What are the differences between Touch Wiz, HTC Sense, and the LG Skin? I personally like Touch Wiz as it is very simple. ]

4. Does Samsung, HTC, or LG update their devices to the latest Android OS?

I really appreciate your responses. Thank you.

Euan Tan

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I am no android Pro just an average user... so here goes
1. My brother has the Nexus 4 and he is able to make Group message (with all of the people being to reply in one thread) just simply add all the names you want in the receipt box... but i cannot be sure about all the other devices... I have a Galaxy S (waiting to upgrade it to the Nexus 5) and i put a custom rom on it so its basically stock Android and it has group messaging as well

2. First of all, it varies from different devices.. I've played around many Phones in the past in the Tmobile store and also my friends have the S4, and the Camera quality is really great with tons of features... I mean it wont be like that 41 megapixel beast but it does the job right. While most people say the Nexus 4 Camera sucks... I say it still takes okay pictures that would be enough for Facebook pictures and instrageeers ahaah
I say this video helps alot:
Top 5 Best Smartphone Cameras! - YouTube

3. Torn between LG G2 and Nexus 5... Cant say anything about the Nexus 5 till its release (hopefully soon) but the G2... THAT BEZEL! screen is beautiful. 5.2 Inches but it seems compact even if its size. The Camera takes awesome pictures plus it has OIS (optical image stabilization) Also has a snapdragon 800 and adreno 330 so its pretty much blazing fast... As for LG skins, touchwiz or htc sense, I dont have anything to say since I love stock android so I either install a rom for stock android or a launcher thats close to it... Or just get a nexus :)

4. They update it. But how long it takes them and which ones get it is a different story... The HTC one is barely getting the 4.3 update (i believe) so is the S4 ... Not sure about LG but if you want quick updates a Nexus phone is for you since they are guaranteed first to get the newest version... Even a nexus 7 2012 will 99% get the newest one within the software's release.

Again, just a high school-er who likes following android news in his spare time~ Aka 5th period ;) ahahah
Glad you are considering Android. I have nothing against WP's they are slick and fast and does its purpose and it suits different types of people...just not me.

rdubmu

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes with Group Messaging you can send a group message, but we you recieve them back I want them in the same message that I sent it in instead of indidivual responses. I heard only the S4 and Note 3 have this. Hoping that it is in Android 4.2.

Euan Tan

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes with Group Messaging you can send a group message, but we you recieve them back I want them in the same message that I sent it in instead of indidivual responses. I heard only the S4 and Note 3 have this. Hoping that it is in Android 4.2.

Both my phone and the my bro's Nexus 4 receives it in the same thread and the other people can see it too.

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I believe group text messages was added on Android 4.2 or 4.3. I don't recall which I'm on Android 4.1 and can tell you it doesn't work.

As for the G2 vs the Note. That is a tough choice right now Tmobile has the g2 on sale for $0 down and the Note3 for $200.

I own a Note2 and for me the pen is very important it's a no brainer. But if the pen is not your thing than you might want to consider the G2. The phone is fast, has a brilliant screen and takes good pictures the G2 and has a beautiful design. I personally love the button less look.
The screen on the G2 is brilliant much brighter and vivid than the Note 2 and 3.

We were in the Tmobile store yesterday and my wife was ready to turn in her S3 for the G2. I held off because she truly wants the Lumia with 41MP.

rdubmu

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I believe group text messages was added on Android 4.2 or 4.3. I don't recall which I'm on Android 4.1 and can tell you it doesn't work.

As for the G2 vs the Note. That is a tough choice right now Tmobile has the g2 on sale for $0 down and the Note3 for $200.

I own a Note2 and for me the pen is very important it's a no brainer. But if the pen is not your thing than you might want to consider the G2. The phone is fast, has a brilliant screen and takes good pictures the G2 and has a beautiful design. I personally love the button less look.
The screen on the G2 is brilliant much brighter and vivid than the Note 2 and 3.

We were in the Tmobile store yesterday and my wife was ready to turn in her S3 for the G2. I held off because she truly wants the Lumia with 41MP.

My options right now are keep my Lumia 920 and just unlock it. I believe LTE network for T-Mobile may work for the my AT&T 920...but not 100% sure. At least I will have 3g. It isn't a bad option as it would make my phone bill much cheaper...but then I thought of getting a 925, If it did that after my backup, my phone couldn't do a backup as I use about 19 gigs of memory with apps, pics and email , the 925 is a nice device but worse than the 920 on some major areas..

Other options: Get a Note 3, an S4 or a G2. The G2 looks really nice but I like Touch Wiz, it is so simple and seems to be an easier skin of android. Lastly, my only other option is an iphone, I like iOS 7 but I just don't think the iphone is really an upgrade over my 920 especially the camera.

Euan Tan

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
My options right now are keep my Lumia 920 and just unlock it. I believe LTE network for T-Mobile may work for the my AT&T 920...but not 100% sure. At least I will have 3g. It isn't a bad option as it would make my phone bill much cheaper...but then I thought of getting a 925, If it did that after my backup, my phone couldn't do a backup as I use about 19 gigs of memory with apps, pics and email , the 925 is a nice device but worse than the 920 on some major areas..

Other options: Get a Note 3, an S4 or a G2. The G2 looks really nice but I like Touch Wiz, it is so simple and seems to be an easier skin of android. Lastly, my only other option is an iphone, I like iOS 7 but I just don't think the iphone is really an upgrade over my 920 especially the camera.

LG's skin is quite similar to touch Wiz... Ofcourse they put their own flavoring to it and added more options to customize it such as changing the button layout and even the power off animation. However, it also has features like Smart Screen and I believe its called Smart play, when you look away from a video and it pauses. I mean the Camera features are basically the same for the G2 and S4.. LG just changed some of the names ahahah but added OIS. So you'll find LG's software to be quite similar to Samsung. The Note 3 as i've seen in reviews is a behemoth of a phone. If you can handle that screen size then i say go for it. It has the latest snapdragon 800... THREE not two but THREE (3) Gbs of ram lol! the S pen also has great features too though im not too informed about it. As far as cheaper.... The G2 is on promotion as _X_ said with 0 down and 25 dollars a month while the Note 3 is back at $199 down and 21 dollars a month... Nexus 4 runs about 250 dollars unlocked and nexus 5 in a couple of days or weeks at about 349 but its only 16gbs. G2 is 32 gb (24 usable i believe) and Samsungs S4 has a SD slot.

rdubmu

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
The S4 is a 6 month old phone now, I have thought about getting that one as well because it is only $99 but again it is 6 months old.

Really thinking of getting the Note 3 for the Spen, looks like the difference maker :)

Web_Paige

Oct 17, 2013
Visit site
Motorola products are my favorites; I have a Droid 3 and will be upgrading soon to a Moto X or a Droid Razr. I rarely if ever have the problems with my phone that my friends have including: shutting off at random, low memory, overheating, or having to constantly pull the battery. Just plug it in, turn it off, charge it up, and it works reliably day after day after day after day. I'm not a Motorola or Google employee, by the way, I just love Motorola products.

rdubmu

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Thank you for all the responses. I ended up getting the LG F2f. I love this phone, so much different than what I have owned in the past!

How do I sync this phone to iTunes on my Mac to get my podcasts and music?

Sent from my LG-D801 using AC Forums mobile app

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
... I ended up getting the LG F2f....
I'm guessing you mean the G2? Good choice.
How do I sync this phone to iTunes on my Mac to get my podcasts and music?
I don't use iTunes but there are apps like double twist that sync iTunes over the Wi-Fi. There are many more but I don't know them by name --a search, on the play store, will give you a better answer.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc