Anyone find it strange that Android still doesn't have a 'do not disturb' mode?

worknman

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Surely, I can't be the only Android user on the planet who wants to silence notifications and phone calls when sleeping, but still allow a couple of people to ring through? This would be especially handy when I'm on call for work. This is one area where iOS has an advantage. Even Cyanogenmod, which allows you to set 'quiet hours' doesn't give you any control over who is allowed to call you during this time.

I know there are several DND apps in the play store... I tried one, and the auto-text responder worked about half the time, and the phone would still light up when I'd get a non-whitelisted call (not cool in a dark room). Not sure if any of the others work any better.....

IMO, this is something that should've been there since v1 of the OS, but it still is mysteriously absent. I guess none of the Android devs have ever had to work shift work and/or sleep during the day.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I know that a hardware accessory (alarm clock I think) that was recently reviewed had an app that accomplished this and it worked well, but if I recall right it is a kickstarter and not for sale yet. Moto's sleep mode doesn't allow anyone through, but I kinda agree this would be a great feature to have just baked into Android so that third parties and OEM's don't have to try to figure it out.

Euan Tan

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
My Lg G2 has a "Quiet Mode" which blocks calls and puts phone into silent and messages will not turn on screen... but it also allows me to set certain contacts to be able to call me and auto reply to blocked calls with a re-made message...

But Yeah, Android in general should have this feature.

thekarens

May 18, 2010
Visit site
There's a couple apps that do that. I've got my phone set that only my family rings through at night.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I know that a hardware accessory (alarm clock I think) that was recently reviewed had an app that accomplished this and it worked well, but if I recall right it is a kickstarter and not for sale yet. Moto's sleep mode doesn't allow anyone through, but I kinda agree this would be a great feature to have just baked into Android so that third parties and OEM's don't have to try to figure it out.

On the X, favorites can get through. If someone calls twice within five minutes, they'll get through too.

Posted via Android Central App

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I my OS to be as lean as possible - if you want specific functionality go ahead and install it, but I'd rather stuff like that didn't clutter up my system.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Surely, I can't be the only Android user on the planet who wants to silence notifications and phone calls when sleeping, but still allow a couple of people to ring through? This would be especially handy when I'm on call for work. This is one area where iOS has an advantage. Even Cyanogenmod, which allows you to set 'quiet hours' doesn't give you any control over who is allowed to call you during this time.

I know there are several DND apps in the play store... I tried one, and the auto-text responder worked about half the time, and the phone would still light up when I'd get a non-whitelisted call (not cool in a dark room). Not sure if any of the others work any better.....

IMO, this is something that should've been there since v1 of the OS, but it still is mysteriously absent. I guess none of the Android devs have ever had to work shift work and/or sleep during the day.

Just use blocking mode, it works like a charm

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dawsonnathalie