What Android device/manufacturer is most reputable for a reliable phone ?

stalemate1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
My current Droid (htc EVO 3D) is often giving me problems, my contract is up soon and all I know is I want the most reliable droid I can get my hands on. Even a family members device is giving hassles with dropped calls and battery life. (Samsung Galaxy s2)

Which is why I ask:

What Android device/manufacturer is most reputable for a reliable phone ? Which has the least bugs/issues, best network stability, greatest comparability with Android apps (you sometimes hear known issue on Samsung galaxy 2/3/4 in an app description) also any idea which manufacture device users (such as Samsung galaxy user or LG nexus user etc) give the highest ratings on Google play ? (I'm hopping this will answer the app comparability question)

Also which devices or manufacturer in general age the slowest ? ( after a year or two of owning a device, it starts to become slow, unresponsive at times, apps crash often, and battery life decreases greatly) in other words what device will be "consistent" the longest in this regard ?

Thanks in advance.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hooboy, you're going to get a LOT of different answers. This depends so much on individual experience. All it takes for a person to form a negative opinion of an entire manufacturer is to have problems with just one of its phones. So take what everyone is going to say here with huge bags of grains of salt.

I've never owned a Samsung device, but after reading a lot of discussions on these and other forums, my concern has been that Samsung's massive growth and ridiculous diversity of devices has led to decreased overall quality control. It's hard for me to prove that, but it's the impression I get.

Personally, I lean toward Motorola, especially now that they're part of Google. My original Razr Maxx has been a solidly reliable phone, and what I hear in general about the new Motorola phones like the X and the new Droids is that they're also top notch.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I agree with B. Diddy. Responses are going to be high skewed by personal experience and everyone's answer won't be the same. I've owned an HTC Hero, Samsung Epic 4g Touch (GS2) and Galaxy Tab 10.1 (OG). All have been good in terms of build quality.

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Here's the thing with Samsung devices: because they are immensely popular, app developers are gonig to make sure the apps work well on Samsung devices. Having said that, I've never heard too many stories of a specific app not working on a specific phone, so long as the neccessary software and hardware requirements were met. Reading the individual reviews on the Play store will let you know what device the writer was using at the time.

I'd also like to ask you what your use case is. Do you need something rugged like the Galaxy S4 Active, or is durability not as high a priority? Do you do a lot of battery heavy tasks? Also, which carrier are you on?

stalemate1

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Here's the thing with Samsung devices: because they are immensely popular, app developers are gonig to make sure the apps work well on Samsung devices. Having said that, I've never heard too many stories of a specific app not working on a specific phone, so long as the neccessary software and hardware requirements were met. Reading the individual reviews on the Play store will let you know what device the writer was using at the time.

I'd also like to ask you what your use case is. Do you need something rugged like the Galaxy S4 Active, or is durability not as high a priority? Do you do a lot of battery heavy tasks? Also, which carrier are you on?

I'm willing to switch to any carrier necessary. I don't need something rugged, I just want a good, very reliable, well priced, budget Droid...which will give me a stress and hassle free 2 years of use. No less.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
NOKIA device/manufacturer is most reputable for a reliable phone. its are most famous.

The OP was specifically asking for Android phones. Nokia still only makes Windows Phones.

Posted via Android Central App

Tom Westrick

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
I'm willing to switch to any carrier necessary. I don't need something rugged, I just want a good, very reliable, well priced, budget Droid...which will give me a stress and hassle free 2 years of use. No less.

In that case I'd say get the new Nexus 5 with whatever carrier you prefer (except Verizon).

And to nip this in the bud- Droid is a line of phones manufactured by Motorola specifically for Verizon. Android is the operating system.

roadkizzle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
In that case I'd say get the new Nexus 5 with whatever carrier you prefer (except Verizon).

And to nip this in the bud- Droid is a line of phones manufactured by Motorola specifically for Verizon. Android is the operating system.

Droid is not tied specifically to Motorola. HTC has also had numerous "Droid" models, such as Droid Incredible, Incredible 2, and DNA.

Droid is just Verizons branding to keep commonality between their favored Android powered devices.

Edit to be on topic: the reliability question is a difficult one, because each phone varies within even its model because they are manufactured by humans or human built robots.

I personally have always favored Motorolas reliability. I have owned the Motorola Star-Tac, 2 old Razrs, Bravo, Atrix 4g, and now the Moto X. I've also owned the Samsung Galaxy S2 and Sony Xperia TL.

I have never had an issue with my Motorola phones other than falling in a river with my Star-Tac and accidentally sending my Bravo through the laundry washer after it had already been retired from phone service but stayed with me as my cherished media player.

The Galaxy S2 was nothing but troubles for me.

The Xperia was reliable but had the worst battery life of all my phones.

TeknoBug

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
IMO HTC.

Even though Motorola are good too, I used to hate them because they were unwilling to support Canadian users, that seemed to ahve changed once Google fixed up with Motorola.

TeknoBug

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Here's the thing with Samsung devices: because they are immensely popular, app developers are gonig to make sure the apps work well on Samsung devices.

I'm not sure how true that is, having downloaded and gone through many apps, I've read many complaints about how poorly some apps ran on Samsung devices, such as Handcent SMS (laggy, inconsistent stability, etc). Seems Samsung's Touchwiz changed the behavior of their version of Android OS over other brand phones.

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
How about a nexus device ?

It should be fine (mine is!). But there's no onboard microsd or removable battery. Also, if you run into software (operating) issues, be prepared to do your own research because Google CS don't seem to know much judging by what I read in the forums.

Also you still have to pay the $350 or $400 upfront I think.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2