11-21-2013 12:00 AM
77 1234
tools
    I don't give a damn if my kids hate me I don't have to get them a smartphone and pay their phone bill. A smartphone is a privilege not a right. Its gift for kids they can take the damn phone or not have a phone at all.

Posted via Android Central App
    Woah, somebody needs to call the fire department because your *** is on fire!!! Rage rage rage!

sent from my Galaxy S3 rocking Cyanogenmod
    11-14-2013 11:38 AM
    Someone does not understand kids at all.

Of course, because I totally don't have my own. Have you ever had the words "cool dad" said anywhere near you? I have a feeling you're the parent your kids secretly hate but have to deal with. Just for the record, I asked my son why he has an iPhone and that's exactly what he told me. He likes getting fast updates at the same time everyone else does. Also, he likes the speed of the phone. So, who doesn't understand kids?

11-14-2013 11:42 AM
    I would look at a Nokia Lucia 520 or Moto G

Sent from my LG-D801 using AC Forums mobile app
    11-14-2013 11:43 AM
    I would look at a Nokia Lucia 520 or Moto G

I like the idea of Windows phone, maybe a Nokia lumia 800 or 900 would work

11-14-2013 11:48 AM
    I like the idea of Windows phone, maybe a Nokia lumia 800 or 900 would work

An 800 or 900 would be a terrible choice for a kid. Both of those are stuck on WP7. Most of the good apps currently coming out are WP8 exclusive. Another vote for the Moto G. There are lots of devices out currently with the Snapdragon 400, and none of them has been described as "slow" or underpowered by any actual tech reviewers.
    11-14-2013 11:55 AM
    Kids hate the iPhone. It's boring. They have had it on their I pods for 5 years. I don't know any kids that want iPhones. My kids. Nieces. Nephew. None of them like iPhones they say they are for old people.

11-14-2013 11:58 AM
    An 800 or 900 would be a terrible choice for a kid. Both of those are stuck on WP7. Most of the good apps currently coming out are WP8 exclusive. Another vote for the Moto G. There are lots of devices out currently with the Snapdragon 400, and none of them has been described as "slow" or underpowered by any actual tech reviewers.
    I would go for a Windows phone 8 device. 520,620,720,820, or 920 are great choices. The $520 can be had for as little as $100 no contract

DroidArmy likes this.
    11-14-2013 12:42 PM
    I would go for a Windows phone 8 device. 520,620,720,820, or 920 are great choices. The $520 can be had for as little as $100 no contract

Yep, it would be a good choice to get one of these phones. These guys think that's a bad idea though. I'm glad to see another person who at least shares some of my thoughts

11-14-2013 01:02 PM
    Kids hate the iPhone. It's boring. They have had it on their I pods for 5 years. I don't know any kids that want iPhones. My kids. Nieces. Nephew. None of them like iPhones they say they are for old people.

My Lil cousins all hate ios for the same reason I do....lack of freedom.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2 (Central n ohio Austin IL)
    11-14-2013 01:05 PM
    I'd go with any at least single-core 1ghz with 512mb ram, that should do for a while if you cant afford something better, if you do you might as well get him an iPhone 5S :P
    DroidArmy likes this.
    11-14-2013 01:06 PM
    None of these responses are keeping in mind the OP is requesting a device for around 60 bucks. Yet everyone continues to suggest 200+ dollar phones.
    It's for a 12 year old, it doesn't need to have the latest hardware specs or OS.
    My suggestion would been an iPhone 3gs or 4, or as previously suggested the original Galaxy S. You can find these used all day long for less than 80 bucks.
    Make sure you put a good case on it.
    Good luck!

tap'n
    anon(5857193) likes this.
    11-14-2013 01:13 PM

Yep, it would be a good choice to get one of these phones. These guys think that's a bad idea though. I'm glad to see another person who at least shares some of my thoughts

I actually think Windows Phone is a great idea in this situation, specifically the Lumia 520 (which has fairly similar internals to the Moto G, by the way). I just thought the 800 and 900 (a phone I used to have) were bad ideas because they are two year old devices on an old version of the OS that doesn't have many of the most popular apps. I've long been a proponent of low end Windows Phones over low end Android phones because Windows Phone runs better on weak hardware than Android does. It will be interesting to see how KitKat runs on a device like the Moto G to see if Google has closed that gap some
    DroidArmy likes this.
    11-14-2013 01:17 PM
    None of these responses are keeping in mind the OP is requesting a device for around 60 bucks. Yet everyone continues to suggest 200+ dollar phones.
    It's for a 12 year old, it doesn't need to have the latest hardware specs or OS.
    My suggestion would been an iPhone 3gs or 4, or as previously suggested the original Galaxy S. You can find these used all day long for less than 80 bucks.
    Good luck!

tap'n
    Most of us have said that its a bad idea to get those. Its going to be a bad experience and the kids won't enjoy them. So they will end up sitting there, never being used.
    DroidArmy likes this.
    11-14-2013 01:19 PM
    I still have my Galaxy S1 (Fascinate) and it works perfectly fine. Sure, it's not as snappy as my S3, but it will be just fine for a 12 y/o. Unless their folks are paying for unlimited data (which I seriously doubt) it's likely the phone will MAINLY be used for calls & texts, not streaming music and watching YouTube.

tap'n
    11-14-2013 01:29 PM
    Moto G. 179.99.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 2
    11-14-2013 01:32 PM
    Oops
    11-14-2013 01:35 PM
    Most of us have said that its a bad idea to get those. Its going to be a bad experience and the kids won't enjoy them. So they will end up sitting there, never being used.
    Exactly! My son would chuck it in the corner and forget about it. That's why I always buy decent phones. My son is no *****, he knows when a phone is bad. I'm assuming the OP's 12 year olds will know as well

11-14-2013 01:40 PM
    Good luck!

tap'n
    In my opinion, the OP shouldn't be so cheap and he should buy something decent for them. In fact, we've explained that a ton in this thread. It should be a decent phone, certainly nothing like the 3gs. I would say an IPhone 4s would be perfect or the Nexus 4.

11-14-2013 01:43 PM
    It's not about giving your child everything he wants. I wanted a lot of things when I was 12, but my parents didn't give me everything I wanted. Once they turn 16 you can give him a shiny fast device. The kids 12, it's his first phone, his parents don't want to spend a fortune....he'll be perfectly happy with a pre-owned Galaxy S1 or IPhone 3gs/4.
    It's all fine when it's not your kid or you're money. Be realistic guys. The OP requested suggestions with a certain price point in mind for a reason.

tap'n
    11-14-2013 01:55 PM
    It's not about giving your child everything he wants. I wanted a lot of things when I was 12, but my parents didn't give me everything I wanted. Once they turn 16 you can give him a shiny fast device. The kids 12, it's his first phone, his parents don't want to spend a fortune....he'll be perfectly happy with a pre-owned Galaxy S1 or IPhone 3gs/4.
    It's all fine when it's not your kid or you're money. Be realistic guys. The OP requested suggestions with a certain price point in mind for a reason.

tap'n
    We're being realistic, and the realistic thing about your suggestion is that you're recommending him to buy a bad phone. This will be a school phone, a homework phone, and a game phone. It should perform well. That's why my son has a nice phone. I could care less what they think, I'm talking about overall benefit and it has a huge one to education

11-14-2013 02:07 PM
    You're entitled to your opinion just as I am and I respect that. I'm simply saying there's nothing wrong with the phones I suggested. My S1 works perfectly fine still to this day. That's great that you got your child an expensive phone, congratulations. But the OP is obviously on a budget and asked for suggestions with a certain price point in mind.

tap'n
    A895 likes this.
    11-14-2013 02:37 PM
    You're entitled to your opinion just as I am and I respect that. I'm simply saying there's nothing wrong with the phones I suggested. My S1 works perfectly fine still to this day. That's great that you got your child an expensive phone, congratulations. But the OP is obviously on a budget and asked for suggestions with a certain price point in mind.

tap'n
    There is a happy medium between a $60 Galaxy S and a shiny new powerful device. I'm not saying he should buy them both Nexus 5s or Galaxy S 4s. A Lumia 520 would be a more satisfying experience because they run a modern OS and utilize current technology. And the 520 is under $100 off contract (and will be on sale black Friday at best buy iirc).

11-14-2013 02:56 PM
    I forgot to mention....if you decide to purchase a used device off EBay or Craigslist, don't forget to double check the phones ESN/IMEI number before taking possession of said device. This ensures that the phone you're buying isn't stolen, and you won't have a problem activating it.
    Good luck! :thumbup:

tap'n
    11-14-2013 04:57 PM
    Straight Talk Samsung S738C Galaxy Centura Prepaid Smartphone:
    Android 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich) OS
    $99.99
    No Contract

Straight Talk Samsung S738C Galaxy Centura Prepaid Smartphone: Prepaid Cell Phones : Walmart.com
    11-14-2013 05:15 PM
    I might be a bit of help on this, I'm 15 turning 16 in January:
    Get a decent quality phone, yes its a bit more expensive, but it will be a better device in the end. I am a techie myself but from friends I figured to have a good device (I'd say $150). They work smarter.

As far as a recommendation goes, I'll agree that the Moto g is a good "reference point" for what to get. Just make sure what you're getting has good reviews and nothing too "iffy". Do your research.

I hope you choose a great device.

Posted via Android Central App on my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 (Android 4.2.2)
    11-14-2013 07:23 PM
77 1234