What's the best older android phones for my 12 yr olds?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Not really, it looks like an underpowered phone (not to mention cheap) . You'd be better off buying a nexus 4 on eBay for 200.

sent from my Galaxy S3 rocking Cyanogenmod

Not underpowered, and does cheap differ from any other suggestions? I wouldn't dare give a kid a glass phone to use. You're asking for it to break.

Posted via Android Central App

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Not underpowered, and does cheap differ from any other suggestions? I wouldn't dare give a kid a glass phone to use. You're asking for it to break.

I don't know about that. And yes, it is underpowered. It's meant to be a cheap version of the Moto x, which will primarily be sold outside of the United States. It's a budget phone to say the least. Also, this is why cases exist. Unless the kid is completely brain dead (and especially at age 12 I would expect them to be able to hold a phone and keep it safe), I don't think it will be a problem. Honestly, and I don't mean to offend you, I hate people who think some kids aren't smart enough or old enough to handle something expensive and keep it safe. And yes, I realize you're not the original poster in case you think I got confused

Last edited:

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Prefaced by "something new". Nexus 4s would likely be used.

Have you used the Moto X? Based on what I've seen so far from Moto X, I fully expect the Moto G to perform better than it's class. It'll probably get better battery life than the Nexus 4 too.

Yes, I've used the Moto x. I was going to get it but I'm waiting for the galaxy s5 when my contact is up. There is no way the Moto G will be as fast as the Moto x, you can already tell that from specs. I also doubt Motorola will put in a lot of effort optimizing a budget phone. I work in the electronics industry, I have to know these things. The only thing I'll agree with you on is battery life, I think it will last throughout the day

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I've used the Moto x. I was going to get it but I'm waiting for the galaxy s5 when my contact is up. There is no way the Moto G will be as fast as the Moto x, you can already tell that from specs. I also doubt Motorola will put in a lot of effort optimizing a budget phone. I work in the electronics industry, I have to know these things. The only thing I'll agree with you on is battery life, I think it will last throughout the day

Not saying the Moto G will be as fast as a Moto X. But it probably won't suck.

and lol. Galaxy S5! HAHAHAHA.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Not saying the Moto G will be as fast as a Moto X. But it probably won't suck.

and lol. Galaxy S5! HAHAHAHA.

What? Are you saying it's going to be a bad phone? Are you saying Samsung isn't owning the market? Oh look, this nice waitress brewed you a giant cup of STFU on the house!

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
What? Are you saying it's going to be a bad phone? Are you saying Samsung isn't owning the market? Oh look, this nice waitress brewed you a giant cup of STFU on the house!

I'm laughing because the S5 is nowhere near even being announced.

I'm waiting for the Nexus 5 (2014 model). That's going to be a beast!

:confused:

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I'm laughing because the S5 is nowhere near even being announced.

I'm waiting for the Nexus 5 (2014 model). That's going to be a beast!

:confused:

Ah, sorry, I thought you were judging my choice. I apologize for my little comment. And yeah, that phone sounds awesome!

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I don't know about that. And yes, it is underpowered. It's meant to be a cheap version of the Moto x, which will primarily be sold outside of the United States. It's a budget phone to say the least. Also, this is why cases exist. Unless the kid is completely brain dead (and especially at age 12 I would expect them to be able to hold a phone and keep it safe), I don't think it will be a problem. Honestly, and I don't mean to offend you, I hate people who think some kids aren't smart enough or old enough to handle something expensive and keep it safe. And yes, I realize you're not the original poster in case you think I got confused

The Moto G is a better value regardless, a better price and that's brand new out of the box. If you get the nexus 4 around that price its not going to be brand new out of the box. Something tells me the Moto G will be more durable as well, regardless of what you say any kid or adult can break a phone and choosing something that least likely to break and having to replace later is smarter.

insert

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
At that budget its not worth buying any phone. Perhaps save up until next year. If you do, they'll be horrendously slow and generally will cause more frustration than excitement for your children. Low end tech is usually dumped after several months.

tippmann15

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Are you looking for a particular Carrier? Here in Ohio we had plenty of prepaid options that sold new in box smartphone for 50-100, and they functioned just fine (keeping in mind price and hardware limitations).

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

zobog

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
The moto G will be a nice, fast phone and affordable. Perfect for the 12 year old if you are on a budget. Do not worry about the "Specs", worry about overall user experience. I am sure there will be plenty of reviews soon..

The Moto X is one of the nicest phones in existence and is not anywhere near the top on specs. Smooth.
The moto G will be nice, fast and will have a great user experience. I bet it will run smooth as silk. Perfect for a kid that age.
And if they break it, you do not have shed tears at that price, unlike the $550+ range phones.

Toss in motomaker and the fun of personalizing the phone and I think your kid will love it.
I would like to get my 13 year old daughter one, but I am on Verizon. We do contracts and are not pre paid. I am hoping there is a way to get one for her.

Motorola under Google is taking innovation and customization to the next level. They are not low end junk, they are quality. At a good price.

Also, check out the Motorola radios and signal strength.
Durability. Quality. Price.
In my opinion, the "new" Motorola under Google is hard to beat. Look deeper into in then the spec sheet or you will be missing out.

Last edited:

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
At that budget its not worth buying any phone. Perhaps save up until next year. If you do, they'll be horrendously slow and generally will cause more frustration than excitement for your children. Low end tech is usually dumped after several months.

Exactly my point

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
The Moto G is a better value regardless, a better price and that's brand new out of the box. If you get the nexus 4 around that price its not going to be brand new out of the box. Something tells me the Moto G will be more durable as well, regardless of what you say any kid or adult can break a phone and choosing something that least likely to break and having to replace later is smarter.

Well with that point why are most of us walking around with expensive phones? It's called mobile insurance and cases. I'm not going to buy a 2001 desktop because it's less likely to break; I'm going to buy a new high end laptop because it will run better and last longer. Durability comes second to speed and usability. The Moto G is a budget phone, and I'm sure it will scream budget when it arrives in the US January. In not trying to bash Motorola products, they're well made and I highly recommend buying a Moto X if you want to go with an Android phone. The Nexus 4 is better than the Moto G, there shouldn't be any arguing about it. Faster updates, better specs, and an IPS screen so the display won't burn in If somebody leaves it on too long.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Well with that point why are most of us walking around with expensive phones? It's called mobile insurance and cases. I'm not going to buy a 2001 desktop because it's less likely to break; I'm going to buy a new high end laptop because it will run better and last longer. Durability comes second to speed and usability. The Moto G is a budget phone, and I'm sure it will scream budget when it arrives in the US January. In not trying to bash Motorola products, they're well made and I highly recommend buying a Moto X if you want to go with an Android phone. The Nexus 4 is better than the Moto G, there shouldn't be any arguing about it. Faster updates, better specs, and an IPS screen so the display won't burn in If somebody leaves it on too long.

Its a budget phone for a kid. Not a techie. Nexus 4 is not better in this situation. Specs and updates is not key here, its price. That price is $179 brand new. Something you can't get a brand new nexus 4 for.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Its a budget phone for a kid. Not a techie. Nexus 4 is not better in this situation. Specs and updates is not key here, its price. That price is $179 brand new. Something you can't get a brand new nexus 4 for.

I understand that, the point still applies. And yes, it actually is. It may not be a new nexus 4, but I can pick up a mint condition one on eBay right now for 220. That's worth the price. Sorry, it kinda is key. The last thing you want to do is buy a piece of junk. That's why I personally recommend the iPhone for kids, it's easy to use and I can buy an iPhone 4s right now for a little over 200. Plus the parental controls are really good on ios. Specs usually don't matter, usually, but in this case it does. A 1.2 gz processor on an Android phone won't cut it. The display (although being pretty good) won't last for years due to it being an amoled display. I'm sorry, but the Nexus 4 is the clear winner in this situation. It could be the iPhone as well, but I'm pretty sure he said he was looking at Android phones.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
I understand that, the point still applies. And yes, it actually is. It may not be a new nexus 4, but I can pick up a mint condition one on eBay right now for 220. That's worth the price. Sorry, it kinda is key. The last thing you want to do is buy a piece of junk. That's why I personally recommend the iPhone for kids, it's easy to use and I can buy an iPhone 4s right now for a little over 200. Plus the parental controls are really good on ios. Specs usually don't matter, usually, but in this case it does. A 1.2 gz processor on an Android phone won't cut it. The display (although being pretty good) won't last for years due to it being an amoled display. I'm sorry, but the Nexus 4 is the clear winner in this situation. It could be the iPhone as well, but I'm pretty sure he said he was looking at Android phones.

Its for a kid! Moto G is perfect in this situation! Low cost, decent build quality and specs. The kids can keep up with other kids with apps and they won't complain about their phone being a POS. A nexus 4 is not the best phone in this situation and buying it from some third party I'm eBay with no warranty sounds more troublesome than buying a new device under $200 new from the manufacturer with a warranty. Why are toy pushing the Nexus so hard? It will not only have worse battery life than anything motorola it will be more likely to break as well. I have seen countless threads on people breaking their nexus 4 because of all that glass.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Its for a kid! Moto G is perfect in this situation! Low cost, decent build quality and specs. The kids can keep up with other kids with apps and they won't complain about their phone being a POS. A nexus 4 is not the best phone in this situation and buying it from some third party I'm eBay with no warranty sounds more troublesome than buying a new device under $200 new from the manufacturer with a warranty. Why are toy pushing the Nexus so hard? It will not only have worse battery life than anything motorola it will be more likely to break as well. I have seen countless threads on people breaking their nexus 4 because of all that glass.

Well for what you're describing I think an iPhone would be best. And, as I've stated before, the Nexus 4 is a better choice than the Moto G in this situation. The Nexus 4 is pure Google, made to run perfectly.

jaggerreng

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
Well for what you're describing I think an iPhone would be best. And, as I've stated before, the Nexus 4 is a better choice than the Moto G in this situation. The Nexus 4 is pure Google, made to run perfectly.

If Android, I think the phone itself does not really matter, as long as the Android version is oder than Ice Cream Sandwich.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teapotsax