What's the best older android phones for my 12 yr olds?

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Well for what you're describing I think an iPhone would be best. And, as I've stated before, the Nexus 4 is a better choice than the Moto G in this situation. The Nexus 4 is pure Google, made to run perfectly.

sent from my Galaxy S3 rocking Cyanogenmod

What does that have to do with a kid and a smartphone?

Posted via Android Central App

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
What does that have to do with a kid and a smartphone?

Wow, do I have to explain everything? I feel like I'm repeating myself. It means faster updates, a more reliable phone, direct support from Google if something goes screwy with the software, and most importantly better specs. So, a longer lasting more reliable phone with better specs for a faster running experience to be productive while doing homework or whatever. I'm getting tired of explaining everything so if you'd like to educate yourself on this topic sometime soon that'd be great.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Wow, do I have to explain everything? I feel like I'm repeating myself. It means faster updates, a more reliable phone, direct support from Google if something goes screwy with the software, and most importantly better specs. So, a longer lasting more reliable phone with better specs for a faster running experience to be productive while doing homework or whatever. I'm getting tired of explaining everything so if you'd like to educate yourself on this topic sometime soon that'd be great.

What doe this have to with a kid? What kid is going to be like "I get my phone updates straight from Google". Google doss nothing for a broken nexus 4 bought through a third party. Nothing you said benefits someone not even 13 yet, who is probably getting their first smartphone. Why not get them a brand new phone that you don't have to worry about getting messed up, is easy to replace (starts at $179), and will run the apps that kids use (games and social networking) plus its Motorola so it will have decent battery life to boot plus be more durable than average. I wouldn't dare get a kid a iPhone either they can break that too, and things like I phones and used nexus 4s prices change, the moto g will be always be less than $200 and if you get used (I'm the future since its not out yet) it'll be closer to $100. That's a prices you can't beat. Especially for young boys who knows what'll happen to their phone. Moto G will be very easy to replace plus it will have a manufacturer's warranty on it.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
What doe this have to with a kid? What kid is going to be like "I get my phone updates straight from Google". Google doss nothing for a broken nexus 4 bought through a third party. Nothing you said benefits someone not even 13 yet, who is probably getting their first smartphone. Why not get them a brand new phone that you don't have to worry about getting messed up, is easy to replace (starts at $179), and will run the apps that kids use (games and social networking) plus its Motorola so it will have decent battery life to boot plus be more durable than average. I wouldn't dare get a kid a iPhone either they can break that too, and things like I phones and used nexus 4s prices change, the moto g will be always be less than $200 and if you get used (I'm the future since its not out yet) it'll be closer to $100. That's a prices you can't beat. Especially for young boys who knows what'll happen to their phone. Moto G will be very easy to replace plus it will have a manufacturer's warranty on it.

Just one question: are you insane? These kids are 12! You're saying they can't take care of an iPhone let alone a decent phone? I had a friend like you once, needless to say his kids hated him for thinking like that

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

lol. The Moto G will perform just fine. Software only matters if there's something broken. All the apps that are going to matter to a pre-teen/teen will work fine. And specs shmecks. Motorola has already proven they know how to optimize for the hardware - which is why the Moto X performs just as well in real-world situations vs. any other current flagship.

Faster updates is irrelevant.

And ok direct support for software? I'd be more concerned with direct support for the hardware. And buying used, you just don't get that.

Even still - both phones would be out of the original poster's intended price range.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I understand that, the point still applies. And yes, it actually is. It may not be a new nexus 4, but I can pick up a mint condition one on eBay right now for 220. That's worth the price. Sorry, it kinda is key. The last thing you want to do is buy a piece of junk. That's why I personally recommend the iPhone for kids, it's easy to use and I can buy an iPhone 4s right now for a little over 200. Plus the parental controls are really good on ios. Specs usually don't matter, usually, but in this case it does. A 1.2 gz processor on an Android phone won't cut it. The display (although being pretty good) won't last for years due to it being an amoled display. I'm sorry, but the Nexus 4 is the clear winner in this situation. It could be the iPhone as well, but I'm pretty sure he said he was looking at Android phones.

Mint condition Nexus 4 is irrelevant. It's used. It's battery is months old and you don't know how well it holds a charge compared to a brand new device. Warranty and buyer protection is a very relevant factor as well.

A quad-core 1.2Ghz processor is fine.

Oh and the Moto G has an LCD display.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
lol. The Moto G will perform just fine. Software only matters if there's something broken. All the apps that are going to matter to a pre-teen/teen will work fine. And specs shmecks. Motorola has already proven they know how to optimize for the hardware - which is why the Moto X performs just as well in real-world situations vs. any other current flagship.

Faster updates is irrelevant.

And ok direct support for software? I'd be more concerned with direct support for the hardware. And buying used, you just don't get that.

Even still - both phones would be out of the original poster's intended price range.
Honestly your post doesn't make logical sense in some parts. I see most kids with iPhones today due to the direct updates and speed. Plus you know it's a nice popular phone. So why does that change in this circumstance?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Honestly your post doesn't make logical sense in some parts. I see most kids with iPhones today due to the direct updates and speed. Plus you know it's a nice popular phone. So why does that change in this circumstance?

Uh. They have iPhones because of the marketing and for the apps, not the speed of updates. lol. Seriously?! Talk about out of touch with the general consumer.....

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
Just one question: are you insane? These kids are 12! You're saying they can't take care of an iPhone let alone a decent phone? I had a friend like you once, needless to say his kids hated him for thinking like that

I don't give a damn if my kids hate me I don't have to get them a smartphone and pay their phone bill. A smartphone is a privilege not a right. Its gift for kids they can take the damn phone or not have a phone at all.

A895

Aug 2, 2012
Visit site

Someone does not understand kids at all.

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I don't give a damn if my kids hate me I don't have to get them a smartphone and pay their phone bill. A smartphone is a privilege not a right. Its gift for kids they can take the damn phone or not have a phone at all.

Woah, somebody needs to call the fire department because your *** is on fire!!! Rage rage rage!

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Someone does not understand kids at all.

Of course, because I totally don't have my own. Have you ever had the words "cool dad" said anywhere near you? I have a feeling you're the parent your kids secretly hate but have to deal with. Just for the record, I asked my son why he has an iPhone and that's exactly what he told me. He likes getting fast updates at the same time everyone else does. Also, he likes the speed of the phone. So, who doesn't understand kids?

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I like the idea of Windows phone, maybe a Nokia lumia 800 or 900 would work

An 800 or 900 would be a terrible choice for a kid. Both of those are stuck on WP7. Most of the good apps currently coming out are WP8 exclusive. Another vote for the Moto G. There are lots of devices out currently with the Snapdragon 400, and none of them has been described as "slow" or underpowered by any actual tech reviewers.

zobog

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Kids hate the iPhone. It's boring. They have had it on their I pods for 5 years. I don't know any kids that want iPhones. My kids. Nieces. Nephew. None of them like iPhones they say they are for old people.

rdubmu

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
An 800 or 900 would be a terrible choice for a kid. Both of those are stuck on WP7. Most of the good apps currently coming out are WP8 exclusive. Another vote for the Moto G. There are lots of devices out currently with the Snapdragon 400, and none of them has been described as "slow" or underpowered by any actual tech reviewers.

I would go for a Windows phone 8 device. 520,620,720,820, or 920 are great choices. The $520 can be had for as little as $100 no contract

Sent from my LG-D801 using AC Forums mobile app

DroidArmy

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I would go for a Windows phone 8 device. 520,620,720,820, or 920 are great choices. The $520 can be had for as little as $100 no contract

Sent from my LG-D801 using AC Forums mobile app

Yep, it would be a good choice to get one of these phones. These guys think that's a bad idea though. I'm glad to see another person who at least shares some of my thoughts

Central n ohios best

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Kids hate the iPhone. It's boring. They have had it on their I pods for 5 years. I don't know any kids that want iPhones. My kids. Nieces. Nephew. None of them like iPhones they say they are for old people.

My Lil cousins all hate ios for the same reason I do....lack of freedom.

Sent from my T-Mobile LG Escape running 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2 (Central n ohio Austin IL)

adambold123

Nov 13, 2013
Visit site
I'd go with any at least single-core 1ghz with 512mb ram, that should do for a while if you cant afford something better, if you do you might as well get him an iPhone 5S :p

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech