11-21-2013 01:00 AM
77 123 ...
tools
    I'm looking to get my two boys android phones for Christmas but I don't wanna spend a ton (less than $60 a piece) I'm looking for a samsung if possible so any and all ideas would be great!! Thanks
    11-05-2013 07:28 AM
    Looking to buy on or off contract or possibly even a pay as you go or pre paid plan?
    tony bag o donuts likes this.
    11-05-2013 08:39 AM
    Sorry my bad off contract...
    11-05-2013 08:53 AM
    $60 a piece off contract? You have to raise your budget significantly in order to get even a low end Android device. If you're okay with tablets, you could spend $130 each on cheap tablets. If you can't raise your budget, just buy them video games or something.
    11-05-2013 01:42 PM
    I'm not looking for state of the art. There 12 it would be there first android. They don't need the best..
    11-05-2013 02:22 PM
    I'm looking to get my two boys android phones for Christmas but I don't wanna spend a ton (less than $60 a piece) I'm looking for a samsung if possible so any and all ideas would be great!! Thanks
    What network?
    11-05-2013 02:35 PM
    AT&T ........
    11-05-2013 02:59 PM
    the original galaxy s might fit the bill. i picked up a used one in very good shape off ebay for about 50 bucks.
    11-05-2013 04:56 PM
    11-05-2013 05:07 PM
    I agree I would keep it very simple for starter phones for children of that age. They can enjoy much of what we do today even on older devices like the mentioned Galaxy S. They were updated to Gingerbread ( Android 2.3.x ).
    11-05-2013 08:55 PM
    Kids these days, they're not even teens yet and they have smart phones lol. My nephews are not even 3 years old and they have their own tablets. Now I'm on the other side of that "when I was a kid" speech. :-P

Anyway, I guess that would depend on if you want something new or used. You can find quite a few new prepaid android phones at Radio Shack, best buy and even target. For used, eBay might be the way to go. Like someone said, the galaxy s, though now there are quite a few cheaper new phones. Since you need two, you might want to look at getting new lower end prepaid ones.

Motorola DROID Maxx
    11-06-2013 12:20 AM
    If you're okay with used, you could probably pick up a Galaxy S (the AT&T variant was called the Captivate IIRC). Though, finding two in decent condition may be difficult at this point in the game. Straight Talk offers the ZTE Vallet for $80 and it has 4.1 on it, so that wouldn't be a terrible choice.
    11-06-2013 09:16 AM
    Samsung Galaxy Appeal running $64-68 new on Amazon
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008ZE9A0E/...cUvbUpU3216621

Posted via Android Central App
    CR6 likes this.
    11-06-2013 10:27 AM
    Realistically, you are looking at between $40-$80 each at the low end. You can always get some free deals if you sign up for a contract, but I think that'd be a bad idea. For my kids I would want them on pay as you go at first. Assuming you are asking about AT&T as that is your carrier. They do offer a parental controls service. It is $5/mo but could be well worth it to make sure your kids aren't spending to much.

AT&T Smart Controls: AT&T Wireless Parental Controls

I really like carriers like StraightTalk (really TracFone but a Wally World exclusive branding) and Walmart Family Mobile because you can bring your own phone to the carrier. (Disclaimer: I work for Walmart) This way you could start out on lower end phones and maybe if the kids do well with them or save up their money for a better phone (or whatever) you can have the talk about getting a nicer device and trusting them more on their own while at the same time not having a headache about overage charges.

To meet your price goals though, you're looking at adding some contract phones (even midrange phones can sometimes be had for free, which is great! Watch for holiday specials this year) or shopping around. Hit eBay and Craigslist as well.
    CR6 likes this.
    11-06-2013 11:05 AM
    Look on swappa.....maybe a moto razr m? nice little phone.
    11-13-2013 12:22 PM
    I have a friend who recently did this and regretted it immediately. Cheap phones suck, period. He bought a phone for his 11 year old daughter and she couldn't do anything with it. She liked the phone, but it lagged really bad and it wasn't productive. I think it was the galaxy s2 oddly enough. In the end he gave up and bought her a moto x. I know cheap is easier but trust me it's a bad idea. From experience, I would recommend buying them decent phones (maybe an iPhone 4 or 4s, they work well for kids) and having them on your contract. You'll get a much better deal than off contact if you just put them on your account

sent from my Galaxy S3 rocking Cyanogenmod
    ajl likes this.
    11-13-2013 12:38 PM
    the original galaxy s mini may work the bill. i picked up a second user one in superb form off ebay for regarding fifty usd.
    11-13-2013 12:43 PM
    I have a friend who recently did this and regretted it immediately. Cheap phones suck, period. He bought a phone for his 11 year old daughter and she couldn't do anything with it. She liked the phone, but it lagged really bad and it wasn't productive. I think it was the galaxy s2 oddly enough. In the end he gave up and bought her a moto x. I know cheap is easier but trust me it's a bad idea. From experience, I would recommend buying them decent phones (maybe an iPhone 4 or 4s, they work well for kids) and having them on your contract. You'll get a much better deal than off contact if you just put them on your account

If looking for something new, the Moto G might be a good fit.
    11-13-2013 12:50 PM
    If looking for something new, the Moto G might be a good fit.
    Not really, it looks like an underpowered phone (not to mention cheap) . You'd be better off buying a nexus 4 on eBay for 200.

11-13-2013 02:02 PM
    Not really, it looks like an underpowered phone (not to mention cheap) . You'd be better off buying a nexus 4 on eBay for 200.

Prefaced by "something new". Nexus 4s would likely be used.

Have you used the Moto X? Based on what I've seen so far from Moto X, I fully expect the Moto G to perform better than it's class. It'll probably get better battery life than the Nexus 4 too.
    11-13-2013 02:17 PM

Not underpowered, and does cheap differ from any other suggestions? I wouldn't dare give a kid a glass phone to use. You're asking for it to break.

Ry likes this.
    11-13-2013 02:18 PM
    Not underpowered, and does cheap differ from any other suggestions? I wouldn't dare give a kid a glass phone to use. You're asking for it to break.

Specs specs specs!
    11-13-2013 02:21 PM

I don't know about that. And yes, it is underpowered. It's meant to be a cheap version of the Moto x, which will primarily be sold outside of the United States. It's a budget phone to say the least. Also, this is why cases exist. Unless the kid is completely brain dead (and especially at age 12 I would expect them to be able to hold a phone and keep it safe), I don't think it will be a problem. Honestly, and I don't mean to offend you, I hate people who think some kids aren't smart enough or old enough to handle something expensive and keep it safe. And yes, I realize you're not the original poster in case you think I got confused

11-13-2013 02:43 PM
    I would go with an old Galaxy line
    tippmann15 likes this.
    11-13-2013 02:44 PM
    Prefaced by "something new". Nexus 4s would likely be used.

Have you used the Moto X? Based on what I've seen so far from Moto X, I fully expect the Moto G to perform better than it's class. It'll probably get better battery life than the Nexus 4 too.
    Yes, I've used the Moto x. I was going to get it but I'm waiting for the galaxy s5 when my contact is up. There is no way the Moto G will be as fast as the Moto x, you can already tell that from specs. I also doubt Motorola will put in a lot of effort optimizing a budget phone. I work in the electronics industry, I have to know these things. The only thing I'll agree with you on is battery life, I think it will last throughout the day

11-13-2013 02:52 PM
77 123 ...