Thanks a lot Verizon! Now what do i get!? Moto x?

Carrotbottom

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
So Verizon is not getting the Nexus 5. I have considered the LG G2 but cant get over the glossy back. (I dont like cases) Again Verizon screws me by not carrying the white version.
Not a fan of S4 touchwiz
I am torn. The next option is moto x AFTER moto maker becomes available. It seams to be loved by anyone who uses it. Is it worth getting smaller lower res display, and lesser performing camera on the moto x, or the speed demon G2? I would root the G2 for CMOD because i dont like LG's UI either.

HELP!!!

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
People have given the Moto X much praise for the contextual awareness, touchless control, and active display features. People seem content with the 'lesser' display because of how useful and natural active display is.

If you want a larger, high-res display and a powerhouse phone, you won't find that with the Moto X. That doesn't mean you'll be sacrificing performance, however. I've seen quite a few posts saying that the Moto X is completely free of stuttering and lag and all that.

I'm still hoping to get a Moto X at some point. :)

Carrotbottom

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for your 2 cents! I have been researching for a while now. I was really hoping that the LTE band in the N5 meant Verizon coverage. I have a Droid X that was due to be put down a year ago. There is always something lurking around the corner and every phone available is better than what i have. I guess I'm just trigger shy.

KentuckyHouse

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Now i am digging the HTC one! crap....

The HTC One is a great choice...if this were 6 months ago. Yes, it's still a powerhouse of a phone, but take it from someone that's had the One, S4, G2, Moto X, and Nexus 5 (I've got the last two right now. Just sold the G2 yesterday after deciding to keep the Moto X between the two). If you can't get the Nexus 5 but want an experience that's as close as possible, the Moto X is the way to go.

Forget about specs. Forget about a lower resolution display. Forget all of that and go to the closest Verizon store and put one in your hands. Play with it...not for a couple of minutes either. Mess with it for a half hour if necessary. Open apps, menus, and whatever else you can find. Try everything you can to make it stutter, lag, or anything else. You won't be able to.

All it took was putting one in my hands for 5 minutes and I was sold. It's that good. Period.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Carrotbottom

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Great advice! That is quite a group of phones you've had.

The HTC One is a great choice...if this were 6 months ago. Yes, it's still a powerhouse of a phone, but take it from someone that's had the One, S4, G2, Moto X, and Nexus 5 (I've got the last two right now. Just sold the G2 yesterday after deciding to keep the Moto X between the two). If you can't get the Nexus 5 but want an experience that's as close as possible, the Moto X is the way to go.

Forget about specs. Forget about a lower resolution display. Forget all of that and go to the closest Verizon store and put one in your hands. Play with it...not for a couple of minutes either. Mess with it for a half hour if necessary. Open apps, menus, and whatever else you can find. Try everything you can to make it stutter, lag, or anything else. You won't be able to.

All it took was putting one in my hands for 5 minutes and I was sold. It's that good. Period.

Sent from my Nexus 5

What is your opinion of the camera after update?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by a moderator:

KentuckyHouse

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
What is your opinion of the camera after update?

The update did more to improve the camera than any update I've ever seen on any phone. I never thought software could make that big of a difference. While the camera still isn't on the level of my iPhone 5S or the G2, it's more than capable of taking great shots...surprisingly great shots.

While the camera was a valid concern when the phone was first released, that update solved all the major issues.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Carrotbottom

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
The update did more to improve the camera than any update I've ever seen on any phone. I never thought software could make that big of a difference. While the camera still isn't on the level of my iPhone 5S or the G2, it's more than capable of taking great shots...surprisingly great shots.

While the camera was a valid concern when the phone was first released, that update solved all the major issues.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Thanks. It was the camera and the 4.7" screen that were my only concerns.

KentuckyHouse

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. It was the camera and the 4.7" screen that were my only concerns.

I came to the Moto X straight from the Note 2 and S4, so I know that concern you have about the 4.7" screen. It took me all of a day or two to adjust. The fact is, the Moto-added enhancements (Active Notifications, Assist, and Touchless Controls) make you forget all about any worries you had. It's stock Android with the perfect additions. You don't think you'll use things like Touchless Controls because you've never really talked to a phone before, but once you've had it, you'll wonder how you got along without it. And frankly, Active Notifications have ruined notifications on every phone going forward for me. They make LEDs seem so archaic.

Sent from my Nexus 5

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. What us your reasoning for the One over the X?

Probably that he has an HTC One and doesn't want to regret his purchase.

That said, if I were on Verizon right now I would get one of the Droids. All the goodness of the Moto X in a, IMO, better looking design. I'd either go for the Mini or the Maxx personally as I'd like either the very compact size of the Mini or the amazing battery of the Maxx. Heck, I'd even get the Ultra over the X just because I think the red carbon fiber looks as good as or better than any customization you can do on Moto Maker.

clemson77on

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
I can't speak for the Moto X but I absolutely love my HTC One. I came from a Galaxy Nexus and I don't miss AOSP at all. Sense works great for me, the phone flat out flies with no lag and the thing just looks and feels freaking awesome.

TeknoBug

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes DO get the Moto X if you can't bother ordering a N5 on Play store. I loves my Moto X.

They released a fix for the camera, it's significantly improved.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
People have given the Moto X much praise for the contextual awareness, touchless control, and active display features. People seem content with the 'lesser' display because of how useful and natural active display is.

If you want a larger, high-res display and a powerhouse phone, you won't find that with the Moto X. That doesn't mean you'll be sacrificing performance, however. I've seen quite a few posts saying that the Moto X is completely free of stuttering and lag and all that.

I'm content with the "lesser" display spec because anything around 300 PPI is good enough for the human eye.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
Now i am digging the HTC one! crap....

Just be careful with it. 2 of my coworkers and a manager have it on their various carriers and they all have battery issues. They're ALWAYS connected to a charger right next to the iPhone people.

I asked about it, they said the battery was GREAT when the phone was NEW but went downhill.

I'd say go for it if you could remove the battery and you can just swap it out, but since you can't, a weak battery isn't good.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

This right here. I missed the moto x after getting the note 3. The home button and bloat just didn't make up for that moto x. Bar none the best phone on vzw. I would have still had a moto x had they had the 32 g version. Get the moto x! Worth it!

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
This right here. I missed the moto x after getting the note 3. The home button and bloat just didn't make up for that moto x. Bar none the best phone on vzw. I would have still had a moto x had they had the 32 g version. Get the moto x! Worth it!

Putting consumer benefit and software utility above specs and industry habits was a good call for Moto. Those who called the Moto X 'innovative' were right, and that's just as true of the decisions they made to produce the phone as it is of the software/hardware features they built.

nexusisneecesary

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
As an owner of the htc one. I can tell you. That while i would love to have the moto x. i am honestly not sure if i could go without Boom sound.For me the fact i can light up a fairly large room with reach,clear sound. Is just about as valuable as any feature i have ever had on a phone. The screen is beautiful.The metal is amazing. But whatever you do. Put it in a case!!!<--- seriously i made the mistake of not doing so..and i now have a permanent ding in the back of my phone:/. However when you are at home..nothing quite like the feeling of the metal in your hand.But to be honest they are both such good phones..at this point i would say get the one YOU like most.Because in the end that is all that matters.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
As an owner of the htc one. I can tell you. That while i would love to have the moto x. i am honestly not sure if i could go without Boom sound.For me the fact i can light up a fairly large room with reach,clear sound. Is just about as valuable as any feature i have ever had on a phone. The screen is beautiful.The metal is amazing. But whatever you do. Put it in a case!!!<--- seriously i made the mistake of not doing so..and i now have a permanent ding in the back of my phone:/. However when you are at home..nothing quite like the feeling of the metal in your hand.But to be honest they are both such good phones..at this point i would say get the one YOU like most.Because in the end that is all that matters.

Have you heard the Moto X's speaker?

nexusisneecesary

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
Have you heard the Moto X's speaker?
only briefly,but yes.
But of course..what i hear every day..is what i am going to remember..so my opinion is probably of course..biased.not that i don't love what Motorola is doing.I Think,however. that i will wait until the 2nd gen of the moto x to pick one up..mainly because i am locked into a two year contract..:( Sigh...carriers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21