Facebook messenger - no more SMS?

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
So, I have been using Facebook Messenger for SMS on my HTC One. Imagine my surprise when it updated and removed SMS! What apiece of cr*p! Why in Gods name did they remove SMS from Facebook messenger? What ***** thought that made sense? Now I can no longer have Messenger for all my messages, which means no more chatheads (which I really liked). I am fuming, what on earth is the logic behind it?

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't think I was the only person using it.. just read the Google play store reviews, there are loads of people moaning about it. Maybe a UK thing?

It's a stupid move as I now have to split messaging to two apps.

Posted via Android Central App

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I don't think I was the only person using it.. just read the Google play store reviews, there are loads of people moaning about it. Maybe a UK thing?

It's a stupid move as I now have to split messaging to two apps.

Facebook said that statistically speaking next to no one used they function.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
The comments about it being removed would suggest that isn't true. I, and most people I know, communicate either via SMS or FB Messenger. Why remove it?

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Facebook has a billion+ users. The subsets of"people you know" and "people who complain about things online" are smaller than you think.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I suggest you read the comments on the Google play store instead of just endlessly trotting out how right Facebook were for removing functionality that seems to have been much used. The US phone network is different to the UK. Everyone I know I uses Facebook and sms to communicate.combining the two made sense. Removing it didn't.

PS Keep the patronising comments to yourself, they aren't helpful or constructive.

Last edited:

Sunny Lee

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I just wanna say that I am also angry about this change, but I accept that big companies can't cater to such a large number of people's needs. I also don't think "gone down south" was being patronizing at all, and what you are saying is uncalled for.
As was said before, Facebook has more than a billion users. Even if you somehow knew of/read 10,000 people's woes from the change, that's still 0.001% of their userbase, or "next to no one". There's always people with your kind of mindset, and it's quite infuriating to read. An example would be people who see a forum thread with 2,000 views and taking it as evidence that *most* people are fed up with a certain feature. Try to look at it from the company's perspective, who always have to deal with big numbers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech