Anyone trade in phone at Best Buy?

beiting

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I have an AT&T HTC One I converted to Google Edition. I'm thinking about trading it in there, but since it's been modified I'm wondering if they'd even take it. Anyone have any experience?

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Best Buy used to be really great about trading in phones. However, in the past six months they have become super strict about condition. They consider your screen scratched, and therefore your phone in poor condition, if you have any micro-scratches on your screen (you know, the ones that are nearly impossible not to get and you can only see when your screen is off and you tilt it just right). Unless you have had a screen protector and case on your phone from pretty much the second it came out of the box, assume Best Buy will give you the poor condition value. You're most likely to get more money from Gazelle.

beiting

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I'll maybe wait until I get a few more postings on here then put it on the market place.

Posted via Android Central App

croaker68

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
My wife traded in her iPhone 4 at Best Buy a month ago. They gave her $135. I traded in my iPhone 4 back in September towards a HTC One, and only got $65 but it was scratched up.

Posted via Android Central App

cheeta186

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I traded my Verizon galaxy Nexus in a while back, over a year now and BB gave me $170 for it. It was pretty much mint though.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

rgriffin25

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Their prices are pretty much in line with everyone else's. I think it depends who helps you at a the store. My iPhone 4 I traded in a couple of weeks ago was in average condition and they didn't nit pick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

bigmatt503

Aug 31, 2012
Visit site
They gave my wife 140 for her mint htc thunderbolt... When she purchased the thunderbolt 20 months before best buy sold her the black tie buy back for 10 bucks on a black Friday special...Great deal for us!! Best buy told us that they no longer offer that black tie buy back any more and the insurance has changed...

Sent from my ROOTED HTC DROID DNA - -

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Their prices are pretty much in line with everyone else's. I think it depends who helps you at a the store. My iPhone 4 I traded in a couple of weeks ago was in average condition and they didn't nit pick.

Maybe it just depends on the store then. My wife was going to trade in her iPhone 5 that was in mint condition other than micro scratches that you litterally couldn't see unless you tilted the phone just right so the light was bounce just so off of them. They wanted to give us like $130 because they said her phone was in "poor" condition. I'm really not exaggerating. This was an 8 month old iPhone 5 that had been in a case since the day we bought it and had never once been dropped. No real scratches on the screen. The guy even had to polish the screen so he could tell if these super fine scratches were actually scratches or just finger smudges.

rgriffin25

Apr 12, 2011
Visit site
Maybe it just depends on the store then. My wife was going to trade in her iPhone 5 that was in mint condition other than micro scratches that you litterally couldn't see unless you tilted the phone just right so the light was bounce just so off of them. They wanted to give us like $130 because they said her phone was in "poor" condition. I'm really not exaggerating. This was an 8 month old iPhone 5 that had been in a case since the day we bought it and had never once been dropped. No real scratches on the screen. The guy even had to polish the screen so he could tell if these super fine scratches were actually scratches or just finger smudges.

That sucks, I would have walked out if they treated me that way. They had an ssd I wanted so I thought I'd try trading in an iphone 4 I had laying around. They gave me $125 for it and there was a small crack by the camera.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
That sucks, I would have walked out if they treated me that way. They had an ssd I wanted so I thought I'd try trading in an iphone 4 I had laying around. They gave me $125 for it and there was a small crack by the camera.

I did. Within 2 hours I had sold the phone on Craigslist for $325. I did go back to the store to buy her new phone, but only because I had a $50 giftcard if I upgraded that line at best buy. Because of that gift card and selling her phone on craigslist, I got her a 32 GB iPhone 5c on a early AT&T upgrade and made $5. She had had a 16 GB iPhone 5, wanted more storage, and liked the colors of the 5c.