I just got back on the $30 100-minute, unlimited text, data (5GB 4g then throttled) for T-Mobile. And with this I'm back on finding ways to workaround the 100 minutes aside from putting money in the account. And i've been using grooveip for a while but it might be a hassle for me and others for two numbers and I thought about Google voice number porting.

I'd like peoples opinion about it and if you ported your number to google how has it been for you?
    11-20-2013 12:28 AM
    In your case it sounds like it'd be worth it to port the number if you don't want to just use your googv #.
    11-20-2013 12:56 AM
    No picture/video texts. No group texts with iPhone users. You need a data signal to make calls and send texts. The GV app is terrible, and sending SMS through stock apps is a bit of a pain in the rear.

Other than that, it's a very useful tool.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app
    11-20-2013 01:07 AM
    Although I've heard in a few places that Google will dump Google voice in favor of Hangouts. Yes this is just a rumor but what do you guys think?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    11-20-2013 01:14 AM
    Although I've heard in a few places that Google will dump Google voice in favor of Hangouts. Yes this is just a rumor but what do you guys think?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
    They aren't so much dumping Google Voice in favor of Hangouts and it isn't so much a rumor as something Google has confirmed is coming in h1 2014. Google is adding support for Google Voice into Hangouts, and it should be ready h1 2014. What this fold in will entail is not entirely clear, but it could finally fix the no MMS issue (which would fix picture messaging, video messages, and group chat with iOS users).

As far as the original question, it is a tough call. Google Voice is very limitted with messaging, but 100 minutes a month is also very limitting. The best (albiet not great) solution is to use two phone numbers. One a Google Voice number for calling and the other your T-Mobile number for texting and mms. At that point it really just becomes a question of do you want to give all the people who call you and you call a new number to use (your google voice number) or do you want them to keep the same number you use now (port your number to Google Voice) and give everyone who messages you a new number to use (whatever phone number T-Mobile issues you after you port your number to GVoice).
    11-20-2013 08:04 AM
    They aren't so much dumping Google Voice in favor of Hangouts and it isn't so much a rumor as something Google has confirmed is coming in h1 2014. Google is adding support for Google Voice into Hangouts, and it should be ready h1 2014. What this fold in will entail is not entirely clear, but it could finally fix the no MMS issue (which would fix picture messaging, video messages, and group chat with iOS users).

As far as the original question, it is a tough call. Google Voice is very limitted with messaging, but 100 minutes a month is also very limitting. The best (albiet not great) solution is to use two phone numbers. One a Google Voice number for calling and the other your T-Mobile number for texting and mms. At that point it really just becomes a question of do you want to give all the people who call you and you call a new number to use (your google voice number) or do you want them to keep the same number you use now (port your number to Google Voice) and give everyone who messages you a new number to use (whatever phone number T-Mobile issues you after you port your number to GVoice).
    It's a very hard call indeed. I would like to port it but at the same time I don't want to COMPLETELY rely on data for texting and other things. So for right now I"m going to test myself to see if I go over or under the 100 minutes. and whether or not I should just bite the bullet and pay the 10 cents/minute or go through the voip route with two numbers.
    11-20-2013 11:43 AM