Apologies in advance if there is a similar thread, but I'm looking for some opinions on why people, aside from getting rid of bloatware, choose to root their device.

I'd like to get some idea of the pros and cons (aside from possible voiding a manufacturer's warranty) of rooting. I personally never had the inclination to root any of my devices, but given great benefits, I might consider doing so.

Thanks in advance.
    11-27-2013 09:33 AM
    for greenify
    11-27-2013 09:37 AM
    I do it for the "vanilla" experience of Android. I also think it's the fastest way to get updates
    11-27-2013 09:38 AM
    Greenify is also my top reason to root.
    AdAway & Root Explorer are up there, too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    11-27-2013 09:45 AM
    The link posted above is very informative and should help you make your decision. Rooting isn't for everyone, and if you don't know what you are doing something can go wrong and you can end up with a bricked device.

If you decide to root read up and understand the process.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    11-27-2013 09:52 PM
    For avast security (hard reset protection) to track when stolen.

- Android Central App. Remember courage is contagious.
    11-27-2013 10:50 PM
    Reasons why I root are:
    Greenify
    Titanium back up (and bye bye bloatware)
    Auto hide soft keys
    ... And to me those r worth it especially since Facebook has like 91836472920477391 wake locks

Posted via Android Central App
    11-27-2013 10:56 PM
    The reason you want root access is so you can become a “Superuser.” What does that mean? Nothing really, except your boot-loader is no longer locked, so you can do some things (including removing bloatware) and run some apps you wouldn't otherwise be able to.

One of my favorite root apps is XPrivacy, it can prevent applications from leaking privacy sensitive data. XPrivacy can restrict the categories of data an application can access. This is done by feeding an application with no or fake data. There are several data categories which can be restricted, for example contacts or location. For example, if you restrict access to contacts for an application, this will result in sending an empty contact list to the application. Similarly, restricting an application's access to your location will result in a fake location being sent to the application.
    ​See >XPrivacy Installation Guide

If you would like to see a list of my favorite android apps, I just updated the post yesterday... >Top 100 Android Apps, many of them are for rooted phones.

Please ✓ "LIKE" If This Information was Helpful - Thanks!
    11-28-2013 01:20 AM
    adaway, and tether.. you really do not need to root to tether, just accustomed to it.. t. backup as well.
    12-01-2013 03:11 AM
    I had a GS4 and wanted to root it but for some reason I couldn't get it to work so I got rid of that and got a Nexus 5 could not be happier love stock Android..
    12-01-2013 09:41 AM